PDA

View Full Version : New guy with some ?'s

lmb7784
06-15-11, 18:34
Hey everybody! I've been lurking here for a short time and I've got some questions about scopes. I'm looking very hard at a Vortex Viper PST in the 2.5-10x44 flavor. My hangup is whether to get the MOA/MOA, or the MIL/MIL? I'm used to shooting scopes with 1/4" MOA per click. This will be my first "nice" piece of glass. BTW it's going on a 308 bolt gun. I'm looking to get out to 600yds tops. Thanks for the input!

Kahlendrrari
06-19-11, 09:23
wether the scope is MOA/MOA or MIL/MIL doesn't matter to anyone but you.... as long as you know how to use the reticle, and adjust as needed. the huge push recently for MIL/MIL scope is that traditional "tactical" (i hate using that word) scopes were Mil-dot scopes, but had MOA adjustments, when it came to using the Mildot reticle for what it was designed for (ranging using the mildots) you had to do a little bit more math in order to get an accurate range. and on top of that making your adjustments wasn't as finite. currently you can get scope with MOA dots, or something along those lines, and not have to convert over from metric to standard while ranging. and since your adjustments match your reticle you can make more accurate adjustments.

the bottome line of what i'm trying to say is choose whichever one you want, it doesn't really matter, just learn to use the reticle for what its designed for and you won't have any issues, clear as mud? I'll probably come back and edit this when i can think straighter

lmb7784
06-19-11, 10:14
Thanks for the reply K! I think I will choose MOA since that's all I've ever used. It won't be that often that I get to shoot over 300yds with it, but I'd like the capability to reach out to 600.

Failure2Stop
06-19-11, 10:25
I personally prefer mil/mil, frankly it's easier to use in my experience. Easier numbers, precise enough, easier to read reticles.
Whatever you get, make sure the adjustments match the reticle, as that is the biggest factor in rapid scope adjustment.