PDA

View Full Version : Lightweight mid-range optic for precision & hunting

Warg
06-15-11, 20:39
Folks,

I’m in the process of putting together a svelte SPR/Reece rifle that will be used for range work and hunting small game like coyotes. This will be my interpretation of a "mountain AR" that I may want to take on 20+ mile hunts with thousands of feet elevation gain and loss, so weight is savings is paramount. No CQB role for this puppy and I may not even use BUIS. My goal is a rifle that weighs no more than 7.5lbs with the optic (unloaded). To accomplish this, it looks like I’ll need a lightweight scope that weighs less than 1 lb. In an effort to do so, it looks like I'll have to make some compromises, e.g., no FFP, mismatched mil/MOA turrets, etc. That's probably ok for the intended use.

I’m thinking that 2-8 or 3-9x magnification would work for me. My eyes aren’t as good as they used to be, so I am unsure if I can pull off 5x max magnification any longer. Thus, I’ve excluded the Leupy 1.5-5x in my preliminary list below. I’d also like to the ability to shoot 1 MOA or less on paper at 100y. Additionally, I don’t necessarily think I’ll need illumination. I’d like a mildot, MOA or “useful” ballistic reticle and user-friendly turrets.

If I didn’t care about the weight, the Nightforce 2.5-10x32 would be an obvious choice, but I have a specified a cutpoint and 19 oz. is above where I'd like to go-unless you all can convince me otherwise as it’s only 4 oz. Here's my short list of sub-16 oz. midrange power scopes that are at least 6x on the top end with some comments:

Leupold Mark AR 3-9x40, 12.50 oz (inexpensive, but light. Durable?)
Leupold VX-3 2.5-8x36 TMR, 12.70 oz (customized with M1 or target knobs and TMR reticle)
Swarovski Z3 3-10x42 BRH, 12.70 oz (very light, mil based reticle, but not sure about the low-pro MOA capped turrets)
Trijicon TR20 3-9x40 mildot, 12.80 oz (same comments as the Swaro)
Nikon M-223 2-8x32 BDC 600, 15.20 oz (don’t know much about this one, but the BDC 600 reticle looks pretty viable)

Others:
The yet to be released Leupold VX-R Patrol 3-9x40 with Firedot TMR reticle if it ends up the same weight as the std. 3-9x40 VX-R at 15.2 oz. The US Optics SN-4 in 1.5-6x28 is listed at 17 ounces, but I remember handling one a while back and it certainly seemed heavier than that. I like the JNG reticle, though.

In summary, here are the criteria:

• Lightweight at less than 1 lb.
• No CQB
• Durable
• Hunting small game to 500y in primarily brush-free, mountainous terrain. Most likely 300y max.
• Paper punching to 200y, steel 100y-500y.
• Mildot, MOA or decent ballistic reticle.
• Mil/mil or MOA/MOA turrets nice, but not essential
• User friendly turrets. Capped may be a bonus for hunting/getting banged around.
• My max price point for this one is probably $1,500

Notice that I didn't mention quality of glass. I'll revisit that.

Please feel free to comment and suggest others.

Thanks much.

Gene

ALCOAR
06-15-11, 21:57

ICANHITHIMMAN
06-16-11, 11:26
First thing I would do is decide how far I intend to shoot and how much elevation I will need for my load. A few of the optics you mentioned are lacking in the internal adjustment department.

I would also not rule out FFP scopes and look at Horus Vision Talon or Hawk and the Leupold MR/T as well. Set your scope in some Nightforce ultralight rings.

Warg
06-16-11, 15:03
First thing I would do is decide how far I intend to shoot and how much elevation I will need for my load. A few of the optics you mentioned are lacking in the internal adjustment department.

I thought this was pretty specific:

• Hunting small game to 500y in primarily brush-free, mountainous terrain. Most likely 300y max.
• Paper punching to 200y, steel 100y-500y.

Out to 500y, I should only need a max of 15 MOA with 77 gr SMK (100y zero) and the scope with the least adjustment listed above is the TR20 at 48 MOA.

I would also not rule out FFP scopes and look at Horus Vision Talon or Hawk and the Leupold MR/T as well. Set your scope in some Nightforce ultralight rings.

MR/T might be a good option if the NF rings would work. Did you mean the Blackbird since the Talon is only 1-4x?

Warg
06-16-11, 15:08
Holy smokes, just when I thought the Lightweight Rage epidemic had reached fever pitch....I foresee a huge fade of dimpling optics;):D

The Nightforce NXS compact 2.5-10x32 with the LV velocity ret. for damn sure screams as the answer for this posting and I honestly would have a pretty good idea of this given I own that optic, as well as being a long time student of the LP discipline and the rifles that go along w. it, the recce and spr.

Thanks for taking time to write all of that. I think the NF might be a great option if I can shed a few ounces on other parts (e.g., ditch my URX-III for a TRX Extreme.). Now that I think a little more critically about my needs, I'm not sure about the LV reticle, or any ballistic reticle given that I like to shoot/hunt with a wide variety of 5.56/.223.

ICANHITHIMMAN
06-17-11, 08:47
No I ment the Talon there about an inch shorter in over all length than the black bird.

Failure2Stop
06-17-11, 10:24
I think the easy answer is to lose weight where it doesn't matter and get a NF 2.5-10.

Warg
06-17-11, 15:50
I think the easy answer is to lose weight where it doesn't matter and get a NF 2.5-10.

Roger that, thanks. Consider this a done deal and end of discussion until the build is complete.

I guess it's Happy Birthday to me :D

Lost River
06-19-11, 23:24
I built something for similar purposes not too long ago. I went a different route optics wise, but the intent of the rifle built was a very simple, and light hunting rifle for long treks through deep snow and tough terrain.

Some specs:

16" WOA 7 twist barrel turned to a skinny tube profile
Colt bolt
Anvil Arms reciever
RRA 2 stage match trigger
Carbon fiber handguard
Ace fixed stock

Overall it is a very light and handy little carbine that has proven to be ideal for its intended purpose.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/0022.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/0112.jpg

Lost River
06-19-11, 23:47
With the upper attatched to a different lower it hammered this coyote. He came at a dead run at me from an unexpected angle.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/MackayJun16-20006.jpg

I think the 2.5-10 NF would be a fine choice for your project. The TA01 I run on this gun is nice but there are times when I feel I am not taking full advantage of the guns potential.

However my goal was lightweight, so the TA01 made sense.

Lost River
06-19-11, 23:53
My nephew who came to visit last December put it to good use on some jackrabbits:

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/SanitizedBunny3.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/SanitizedBunny1.jpg