PDA

View Full Version : P2000 w/ X300 issue/fix

Satisfire
06-16-11, 09:47
I recently obtained a SureFire X300 for use on my HK P2000, but I ran into a little hang up. When I installed it using the U latch (right out of the box) it felt a little loose. There was definitely a few millimeters of forward and backward travel on the light, and it was pretty noticeable, especially when drawn from the holster. I was even reluctant to shoot it for fear that the recoil would damage the light or mounting mechanisms. I did some Googling and it looked like I wasn’t the only one to experience this, but I didn’t see any solutions so I took matters into my own hands. If any other readers have experienced this issue, perhaps this will prove helpful.

Basically, the U (Universal) mount locking mechanism that comes standard (the part that rises up into the slot on the underside of the rail) was a little too narrow. When you look at it from the side you can see that when it is seated, there is a tiny amount of space left either in front of or behind the little tab. It’s not a lot, but its enough to result in some noticeable wiggle room. The X300 comes with a couple of different mounting options, but the one I ended up using was the P (Picatinny) mount. This looks and functions identically to the U except that the tab is bit wider (when viewed from the side). Unfortunately this was too wide, but I took some fine grit sand paper and a file, and with about 20 minutes of shaving and then testing the fit, I was able to get it to a perfect size (no more wiggle room, but still able to snap in and out of position properly).

If any forum members are considering this pistol/light combination, this might be something to take into account… that being said, I am very happy with this setup. Before I swapped out the mounts, the U fit perfectly on my Kimber TLE RLII, but after getting used to the weight distribution and profile of the light on the P2000, I’m extremely happy with my selection. FYI, this appears to be a function of the P2000 rail dimensions, as opposed to any aspect of the light’s design.

loupav
06-16-11, 10:04
I got my first P2000 in 2006 and before I walked out of the store it was wearing an X200 and I had the same problem. The X-series and the P2000 just don't seem to get along. The only X-series light that first tight on the rails of the P2000 is the X400 and that is because it uses a screw to tighten it down.

Oh and by the way, yes I did eventually end up breaking the X200 by shooting the P2000. I sent it back to Surefire and they fixed it. But I never mounted an X-series on a P2000 again, My P2k's have TLR-2's on them.

F-Trooper05
06-16-11, 14:47
The engineers at HK obviously have no clue about what the hell an X300 is. The P30 requires a firm press to make it fit (thus putting your hand in front of the barrel); the HK45C doesn't fit at all; and the P2000 requires help from MacGyver.

W.T.****???

loupav
06-17-11, 09:58
To be fair, how many X300's are in Germany? The P2000 German Police Model has a completely different rail/accessory mounting system.

As for the P30, I can deal with that, I'll just remove the slide, install the light and assemble the pistol. Once I put a light on, they almost never come off.

snackgunner
06-17-11, 10:04
Is it possible for surefire, or some other company, to come up with some rail/accesory piece adapter for hkp2000, to make the x300 fit correctly?

I was thinking about picking up a p2000 in the near future, and was planning on putting a x300 on it. I had no idea that it would not fit, until now.

Satisfire
06-17-11, 10:14
Well, let’s not throw the baby out with the bath water… I am extremely pleased with the P2000/X300 combination. In fact, and I know how this is going to sound, but I’m actually even more satisfied with it since it took a little elbow grease on my part to make it work.

That being said, I agree that it’s a little bizarre that a company like HK charges what it does for such a popular product (an excellent product) that isn’t readily compatible with one of the most popular accessories. And yes, I understand that the design concept may have been influenced by German demands, but I’d be willing to wager that the US Market constitutes a greater source of revenue… in fact I bet that the US Civilian market purchases more HK handguns that the German police.

Also, with regards to installing the X series on a P30, is the difficulty due to the rail width, or is it the same as I described on the P2000?

Edited to correct my grammar.

loupav
06-17-11, 11:42
Snackgunner,

I don't think that Surefire will make something or anything to fit their product on to an HK. For me the problem wasn't a using one plate or anther. It felt as if the gun's rail wasn't thick enough for the rail grabbers on the light. I figured if I could wedge something in between the top of the light and the bottom of the pistol I could make it work. I just never tried. Since I already had the TLR's that worked perfect, there was no reason to.

Satisfire,

You're preaching to the choir here! I have FIVE P2000's now in 9mm and .40! I love the P2000 and plan on keeping mine for years and years. But it won't have a Surefire light on them. My X300's are reserved for USP's (with rail adapters) and/or HK45's.

patrolman
08-09-11, 12:58
FWIW,

A newer gen X300 (170 lumens) fits the rail on my P2000 with significantly less slop than my older gen X300.

BillyJack
08-09-11, 13:11
I have the X300 weapon light attached to my sig p229. When I first purchased the light it had the "U" (which stands for universal) adaptor on it. Along with the light they had another adaptor plate with a "P" (which stands for picatinny) . I used the P adaptor and it was super tight, as with the U adaptor it was sloppy. Just my experience.

Brad