PDA

View Full Version : Threads that should henceforth be disallowed

citizensoldier16
06-16-11, 20:23
I just spent the better part of 45 minutes browsing through my the main forums I spend the majority of my time on here: AR general discussion, AR technical, and Handguns. What I've seen over the past few weeks makes me shake my head in disgust. I've been a member here for a number of years, and through that time I have become VERY proficient with the search function. However, it seems that many members, both old and new, don't even know it exists. I've seen multiple threads lately with topics or questions that have been beaten worse than a dead horse, so I guess I'm just venting.

Lets break it down by category of topics in which the search function could and would be useful from now on. My suggestion is that if you have a question that would fall in any of the general categories listed below, use the search function. I'm going to suggest some search options for each category. Feel free to add your own, and lets all try to cut down on repeating ourselves, and seeing the same topics come up over and over again.

1) Slings. Everybody should have one, and there have got to be a thousand threads in the forum about them. Single point, double point...doesn't matter. Try them both out, and use what you like. Sling mounting adapters fall into this category as well. There are a plethora of options out there, and I guarantee that every one has been covered in more threads than any of us cares to read.

Search options: "sling" "slings" "Vickers" "Blue Force Gear" "Magpul MS2"

2) Sights and zeroing. We all get it, you need one for the front and one for the rear. It doesn't really matter if you're zeroed for 25m, 50m, or 100m as long as you can hit what you're aiming at reliably. Honestly I'm tired of reading all the new posts of "what range should I zero at?" and "if I zero at 25 meters, where else am I zeroed at?" Point of aim versus point of impact when it comes to the AR platform has been gone over here plenty of times. Please use the search function and 99% says you'll find your answer within the first 5 threads. Other sub-topics which fall in this category should include absolute versus lower 1/3 cowitness, optics, MOA, flip-up versus fixed sights, night sights (pistols), competition sights, and sight markings.

Search options: "sights" "night sights" "Heine" "Trijicon" "zeroing" "trajectory" "ballistics" "flip up sights" "FSB" "cowitness" "red dot sight" "Aimpoint" "eotech"

This will AR specific ballistics table will probably help a lot of people with zeroing and POI:

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm53/emtjmd216/m193ballisticchart-1.jpg

Here's a link to the Sighting sticky:
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=65679

3) Trigger upgrades. Nothing special to rant about here, other than the fact that they come up way too often and many of us find ourselves repeating answers to common questions.

4) Lower-tier rifles. We know they aren't built to the standards of Tier 1 rifles. If you are a new member and you find yourself with a sub-standard rifle according to THE CHART, don't even think about posting here about how your rifle "goes bang when I pull the trigger" or how your DPMS can run with a Noveske any time. I'm sure it can, but are you willing to bet your life on that firearm equivalent of WalMart? Do your research, improve what you can if you with, or sell it and buy something reliable. You're only going to catch flak for acting like a jackwagon here.

5) Malfunctions. The AR platform has been around for decades. Your stove pipe or double feed has more than likely happened to somebody else in the past. In addition, that person more than likely got an answer via a thread. Lastly, the answer they got will more than likely work for you, as it has for tens of thousands of other soldiers and civilian shooters alike.

Search options: "stove pipe" "double feed" "failure to extract"

That about covers it for topics I'm tired of hearing. My advice to new members consists of the following:

1) Join the site
2) Don't post immediately to increase the size of your internet ego.
3) Read the da*n stickies!
4) If you have a question, search it. Chances are it's been covered before. Just because you have a new rifle and a question doesn't mean that same question hasn't occurred to 295,398 other people before.
5) Respect the moderators. Their job is hard enough without you spouting off or whining because your ridiculously repetitive post was closed. If it was closed, they probably had a good reason for it, especially if they responded with "Please use the search function" before closing your post.
6) Realize there are probably 1,000 people here with more knowledge and real-world experience than you. If their tag says "Moderator" "Senior Member" or "Subject Matter Expert", take what they say and learn from it. I certainly have.
7) Don't start shit. Nobody likes a flamer.

And finally....

8) If you're thinking of getting rid of a gun, send it to me. I'll certainly take it off your hands. :D

Thanks for letting me vent, guys.

one
06-17-11, 21:25
Well, what topics or threads would be acceptable?

a1fabweld
06-17-11, 22:22
If I don't like a thread, I simply skip to the next one. No harm done IMO. Life's too short to get mad over trivial stuff like talking to strangers on the net.

wahoo95
06-17-11, 22:37
I have noticed over the past few weeks that the search function has experienced some issues often times giving me atimeout error message.

Belmont31R
06-17-11, 22:43
Take a couple few weeks off from the site. I did, and when you come back it will be a whole new place. I only browse the forums that interest me or just whatever pops out in the few seconds I scan the new posts from time to time. ;)

parishioner
06-17-11, 22:50
Take a couple few weeks off from the site. I did, and when you come back it will be a whole new place. I only browse the forums that interest me or just whatever pops out in the few seconds I scan the new posts from time to time. ;)

I second this. As much as I love guns and shit, its rather refreshing to take a break from it every now and then.

dookie1481
06-18-11, 00:37
I have noticed over the past few weeks that the search function has experienced some issues often times giving me atimeout error message.

For the life of me, I can't figure out why people use the search function on open forums, particularly vBB. I have yet to find one that even comes close to Google.

Go to google.com.

type site:m4carbine.net "term you're searching for"

MUCH more user-friendly.

BCmJUnKie
06-18-11, 01:07
If I don't like a thread, I simply skip to the next one. No harm done IMO. Life's too short to get mad over trivial stuff like talking to strangers on the net.

I agree. I can understand certain things getting irritating, but we should all be on the same team here. We all like (for the most part) the same things. cant we all just get along?:D

Timbonez
06-18-11, 01:24
For the life of me, I can't figure out why people use the search function on open forums, particularly vBB. I have yet to find one that even comes close to Google.

Go to google.com.

MUCH more user-friendly.

This is the best advice for a new person. I've never used that feature on Google before, but it works like a charm for pretty much everything.

msstate56
06-18-11, 04:15
Speaking of topics that we should discuss- what lube are you guys using?

Just kidding.

I agree, it does seem to be getting a little redundant around here. It seems that we are running out of new topics, so people who are new to the site keep rehashing old ones.

montanadave
06-18-11, 07:57
Speaking of topics that we should discuss- what lube are you guys using?

Bacon-flavored AstroGlide.

Oh, wait.

Wrong forum.

OldState
06-18-11, 09:13
If you ask my wife, I have entirely to many hobbies and interests. I am also a member of the "m4carbine.net" equivalent forum in a few of these hobbies/interests.

When I recently got into "tactical" AR's I figured there would be a site where the more "serious" guys hung out and where I could rely on most of the advice. So I thankfully found this one.

That being said, it is EXACTLY the same AT EACH site for every interest I have. There is always a few guys who constantly complain about certain types of threads and guys that 25% of their posts are "USE the SEARCH button!!!!:". They also seem to really like emoticons similar to these- :suicide2::suicide:.
There also always seems to be 3 or 4 consensus opinions that can not be challenged without being immediately and belligerently attacked. And there are always 4-5 senior members with 5000+ posts that are more than willing to do it. This site is no different.

If I think a topic is dopey I ignore it. But I will sometimes look at those threads with rehashed topics in the title because you never know if something is new or has changed.

But as far as it "making me shake my head in disgust" No. The 14 Trillion $ debt makes me do that.

OldState
06-18-11, 09:14
Double post somehow

Icculus
06-18-11, 10:34

Go to google.com.

MUCH more user-friendly.

You realize that the orange search button at the top (not the gray one under your user name which leads to the vBB one) does this exact thing and you don't even have to leave the site.

Mac5.56
06-18-11, 12:45
Did you blow your nose and wipe the tears from your eyes yet?

No offense but the Search function on this site sucks! It does. I've been online since 96 and the search function on this page is about as advanced as ones from forums back then. Even using the advanced options is a real pain. While I agree it may help with some of the more common thread topics, I don't really see it being the fault of new users that haven't been here for a while.

Why aren't "Sling Threads" a sticky, like Post a Photo?

I agree with Belmont, take some time off.

polymorpheous
06-18-11, 12:56
The orange search button works for me 99% of the time.
I like it.

VLODPG
06-18-11, 19:33

Go to google.com.

MUCH more user-friendly.

Once I learned this, it was like taking a peek behind the curtain in the Land of Oz!

Access to just about everything I want to know!

LowSpeed_HighDrag
06-18-11, 19:50
Once I learned this, it was like taking a peek behind the curtain in the Land of Oz!

Access to just about everything I want to know!

Yes, its pretty remarkable indeed. If you wanted to learn more about the Aimpoint M4 for example without starting a new thread, you would simply do this:

Google this: site:m4carbine.net "aimpoint M4"

And you would get hundreds of pages, only from M4C, pertaining to the Aimpoint M4:
http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=site:m4carbine.net+%22aimpoint+m4%22&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

To the OP, it does get irritating seeing the same stupid shit over and over again, but instead of doing this, start a new thread to teach us something most dont know, or maybe a review of a lesser known product. Spice it up a bit!

usmcvet
06-18-11, 20:04

Go to google.com.

MUCH more user-friendly.

I agree. Google and m4cabine together gives me the best results.

Yup. Read the sticky!

polymorpheous
06-18-11, 20:35
You guys do realize that the orange search button IS a Google search?

montanadave
06-18-11, 20:44

Aw, c'mon. Now you went and ruined everything! :lol:

LowSpeed_HighDrag
06-18-11, 20:58

Id say 60% of the time that I use the orange search button, it gives me a "timed out" message. This is at work and home (PC and Mac).

polymorpheous
06-18-11, 21:07
Id say 60% of the time that I use the orange search button, it gives me a "timed out" message. This is at work and home (PC and Mac).

I've never had that happen to me.

Browser issue perhaps?
Maybe because I don't run Windows or OS as my operating system?

one
06-19-11, 00:09
I've had the same problems with the search function. One time it may work great and the next two times it's an utter waste of an attempt.

dookie1481
06-19-11, 22:50
You realize that the orange search button at the top (not the gray one under your user name which leads to the vBB one) does this exact thing and you don't even have to leave the site.

No I didn't but I use Chrome so I just hit F6 and type it into the search bar. Hand doesn't have to leave the keyboard.