PDA

View Full Version : White Stuff on LMT Roll Mark

buckjay
06-16-11, 20:45
Just received my LMT MRP from the FFL - super stoked. I bought 'em brand new from a guy on AR15 and was wondering what the white stuff on the roll mark is.

Seems like he tried to clean it up as its a bit smudged.

Any ideas what this is? Is this how they come from LMT?

http://buckjay.com/drop/LMTLettering.jpg

Thanks!

Dave

kwelz
06-16-11, 20:47
Was this new?

Looks like someone used paint or wax to fill in the serial number for visibility.

badness
06-16-11, 20:48
people fill in roll marks with stuff. I can't remember what they use. But looks like that's what he did, which probably means that lower isn't new.

buckjay
06-16-11, 21:10
Ugh, didn't wanna hear that. I was told it was new and unfired. The SN# matches the box it was shipped in, so there can't be to much thats happened right? Quite a bit of oil on the inside, the BCG, etc but pretty sure thats normal.

Couple other pictures. There's some funny stuff inside the roll pin near the pistol grip. I was trying to punch it out to put in an enhance magpul trigger guard but it wasn't budging.. really stiff.

http://buckjay.com/drop/LMTGrip.jpg
http://buckjay.com/drop/LMTHammer.jpg
http://buckjay.com/drop/LMTLower.jpg
http://buckjay.com/drop/LMTRoll.jpg

buckjay
06-16-11, 21:11
Any suggestions on what I can use to clean it up?

badness
06-16-11, 21:15
the stuff on the trigger guard roll pin? Looks like blue loctite.

Having oil all inside the lower isn't normal as far as i know. I only have a sample of one, but when i bought my LMT, it came as a separate lower/upper. My lower came in a box that was sealed shut with tape and when my dealer opened it to show me, it didn't not have loctite in the roll pin area and wasn't not slopped up with oil. It only had round oil spots around the pins where you could tell it was sprayed with oil to prevent corrosion.

Marty916
06-16-11, 21:17
That white stuff actually looks like white out....try using some isopropyl alcohol.

SpaceWrangler
06-16-11, 21:32
When tapping that roll pin out, be sure to back up the trigger guard tab with something solid. You'll be singing the Blues if you break that puppy off by hammering on it.

buckjay
06-16-11, 21:34
There isn't much oil on the lower.. I was mainly referring to the inside of the upper, around the BCG part, etc.

I'm a bit worried about tapping out the pin if there's loctite there.. any ideas how I can approach it?

buckjay
06-16-11, 22:02
Well I tried to use alcohol to remove the white stuff.. I got most of it out, but its still visible. I seriously scrubbed it for 5-10 mins with a tooth brush.

There's a lot of white marking on the lower that I can't get rid of.

Considering this guy sold this guy to me as brand new, never fired.. what are my options?

Should I ask for some money back? Its definitely an eye sore. I wouldn't have minded if I went into the transaction knowing it was there and the reasoning behind it, but he sold this gun to me as brand new and its a bit of a dissapointment.

I'd appreciate guidance.

Thanks

SpaceWrangler
06-16-11, 22:08
Try acetone or lacquer thinner on the white stuff, scrubbing in little circles with a toothbrush. Some paints break down in acetone, others with lacquer thinner, some break down in both. You'll have to experiment. You'll need to re-oil that spot to get the color back, but the solvent won't hurt the finish.

To work on the roll pin, remove the grip (mind the selector spring and detent) and heat the tab with a heat gun. It may take a while, but be patient. Again, block the bottom of the tab with something solid to keep the tab from breaking off from tapping on it.

SomeOtherGuy
06-16-11, 22:21
The marks on the hammer look like it has been dry fired a bit, but not fired with live rounds. Still new in my view.

He should have disclosed the color-fill if he did it. You could ask for something back depending how good/bad the original deal was, but not for a lot, and it may not be worth the time.

badness
06-16-11, 23:00
the guy that sold it to you probably did fire a few rounds though it. Probably 100 or less. I'm willing to bet that the guy who sold it is just one of those armchair commandos that bought it, modded it by filling the roll marks up with stupid shit, then realized a few months later he didn't like the look. So he tried to get it off and ****ed his lower all up with smearing the white shit all over the place. Since the guy is so concerned about the way it looks, he probably sold it so he could go out and buy another lower. Kind of reminds me of what the youtuber "theARMORYchannel" does. Buys a bunch of dpms and UTG crap, tells you it's great, mods all his guns before he even fires a shot through them, tells you it's great AGAIN, then shoots it, then gets rid of it because he realizes it's not great, then makes an excuse why he got rid of it.

buckjay
06-16-11, 23:06
Ugh, so I broke it down with a friend and the bolt carrier has a bit of brassing/wear on it.. his one looks better and he's fire over 3000 rounds through his. I guess the guy switched out the carrier?

I"m a bit pissed off.. wondering how to proceed.

buckjay
06-16-11, 23:22
Here's what the Bolt Carrier looks like - no way this is new.

http://buckjay.com/drop/LMTBoltCarrier.jpg

BSWilson
06-16-11, 23:24
Dude, stop stressing.

ALCOAR
06-16-11, 23:30

nimdabew
06-16-11, 23:34
That carrier still looks new. LMT switched over to MIM carrier keys a while back and they kinda look like that.

If the carrier was used, the rails that the BCG ride on on the inside of the upper would be silver from use and they look brand new.

thopkins22
06-16-11, 23:36
With the exception of the color filled serial number it looks pretty damned new....

As has been said, LMT extensively test fires everything. Carbon, flecks of brass, oil, and all that are pretty par for the course.

buckjay
06-16-11, 23:39
Thanks for the perspective Trident, its appreciated.

I definitely don't mind a bit of wear from testing, etc.. but I don't think its normal for a bolt carrier to look like that from the factory (testing included) - or is it?

I was told that is the kind of wear I'd see after a couple thousand rounds and that is inconsistent with the other parts of the gun, which makes me think its possible the guy swapped out the bolt carrier.

I wouldn't care if he squeezed out 10, 100, even 500 rounds if he'd let me know up front. I guess I'm more upset at the lack of transparency in the deal because it opens the door to other things not being as he said.

I paid about $75 less then I'd pay at a legit gun shop because I was under the impression it was brand new and he accepted paypal, shop wanted me to mail a money order.

Anyways, I'm sure it shoots bullets and thats what counts at the end of the day.

Its just things like putting loctite in the roll pin that throw me off because now I gotta go through all these hoops to install a simple trigger guard.

Anyways, apologies for ranting - I"m sure I"ll get over it soon.

EDIT: Didn't see those replies before responding.. good to know the flecks of brass are okay. Thanks very much for the reassurance.

ALCOAR
06-16-11, 23:42

thopkins22
06-16-11, 23:49
I was told that is the kind of wear I'd see after a couple thousand rounds and that is inconsistent with the other parts of the gun, which makes me think its possible the guy swapped out the bolt carrier.Not at all. Nothing there that I would worry about.

Its just things like putting loctite in the roll pin that throw me off because now I gotta go through all these hoops to install a simple trigger guard.Nothing that you wouldn't need to do otherwise. Supporting the trigger guard tabs has nothing to do with thread locker(note that it's not pin locker,) but is standard procedure for removing and installing that particular roll pin.[/QUOTE]

You have nothing to worry about, it does look like the guy took it out of the box and went anal, but nothing that caused the gun any harm, and not enough for me to call it used.

Rub that paint with alcohol or spray the whole damned thing down with non-chlorinated brake cleaner, lube it back up, and drive on.;)

buckjay
06-16-11, 23:53
Thanks for the reassurance, its well received.

I plan to run it hard, but I just wanted to make sure everything was A-Okay before I started.

Thanks,

Dave

Quiet-Matt
06-17-11, 05:04
Mostenbocker's lift off graffiti remover and a toothbrush and that color fill will be gone in a minute. Plus it's not as harsh on the finish as some chemical removers.

The gun looks new to me. The first thing you'll see when you run a mag through it to empty will be that little mark on the bolt catch. Yours doesnt have that yet...

slomo
06-17-11, 06:21
I can understand your disappointment and questioning of the condition of your weapon but you did elect to buy the rifle sight unseen and thereby save $75. Lesson learned.

The blue material on the trigger guard roll pin may be a lubricant (now dried) to ease installation. Convention usually dictates inserting pins from right to left so your picture conforms to that. As others have said, be very careful to have the opposing trigger guard ear supported by a block. It's easy to break one especially with a stubborn roll pin. Use the proper roll pin punch rather than a nail etc.. You'll really be bummed if you butcher the job.

thehun
06-17-11, 08:54
I do not think you have anything to worry about

Straight Shooter
06-17-11, 17:33
Got my LMT Defender a year ago...it was NIB..and it was dirty when I opened it up. Looked like your pics. Im anal about my weapons too, so I dont think youve got anything to worry about. Mine has been a fine rifle. I just had to tame down the recoil/cycling a bit with a new buffer/spring combo.

OldState
06-17-11, 21:08
Non Chlorinated brake cleaner may work on the paint.

polymorpheous
06-17-11, 22:24
Judging from the marks on the face of the hammer, and the lack of wear on the BCG rails and cam pin...
That's a new gun that has been test fired.
No worries.

Belmont31R
06-17-11, 22:36
Test fired or slightly used.

The roll pin looks like bluing salts to me. This will occur when a metal is blued, and not cleaned off. Maybe the guy installed a magpul trigger guard, decided to sell it, and tried to put the old roll pin back in, buggered it up, and put some cold blue on it. Thats what it looks like to me. Id put a drop of oil in it, scrub with a GI brush, and put another drop of oil to soak in. Salts from bluing will cause rust over time. Might be salt creep from LMT, too, but since Ive owned at least 5 LMT lowers I doubt it was from them. Seen dozens more of their products in person, fellow shooters, ect.

To the OP....this is why I rarely if ever buy 3rd party. I sell a lot of stuff I get tired of or whatever, and try to be honest as I can with description and.or pics. I would NEVER buy a lower other than from a dealer. You dont know what parts people took out and replaced, ect. I can get a Colt lower, take the FCG out, swap it with something else, and most people would be none the wiser. Its hell just buying Colt pistol grips and half the time even on this site I get cheap knock offs.

Bradd_D
06-17-11, 22:51
Its hell just buying Colt pistol grips and half the time even on this site I get cheap knock offs.

Most don't know that Colt's pistol grips are fatter than everyone else's. I prefer them.

MistWolf
06-17-11, 23:24
Try Pine-Sol to remove the unwanted paint. Let it soak overnight

spamsammich
06-18-11, 00:18
Test fired or slightly used.

The roll pin looks like bluing salts to me. This will occur when a metal is blued, and not cleaned off...

BC Aluminum Black leaves salts like this too if not cleaned off with water. Wash it off with hot water then blast it with WD40 to displace the water and take a look at it again. Belmont probably has it right, the previous owner dinged the lower near the roll pin knocking it back in and used Aluminum Black or some other bluing agent to color it again.

Support the ears against something sturdy, I use a pine 2x4 with a 1/8" hole drilled into it to support my lowers when I have to tap that pin out. Gently tap it to see if you can get it to move. For the life of me, I can't figure out why anybody would loctite that pin, I doubt it is loctite.

Thomas M-4
06-18-11, 00:24
Non Chlorinated brake cleaner may work on the paint.

This and would also add a wooden tooth pick and a old tooth brush.

Also it looks to me as if its new. LMT comes dirty from the factory from the test firing that they do.

A REVELATION ENGINEERING
06-18-11, 00:33
It needs to be DX'd... send it to me :D