PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg 500a Safety Issue

chavez556
06-16-11, 23:47
Hi folk's

I recently purchased a mossy 500a, and the safety has no retention and slides on, and off while firing . Anyone know what the problem is ? I have ordered another safety from brownells, and plan to install it but if anyone can give me some tips or direct me to a place with instructions that would be great.

ST911
06-17-11, 11:47
Sounds like your bearing is missing.

Did you remove the safety for any reason? There's a small ball bearing that fits between the safety button, under plate (name escapes me), and receiver. They are easy to lose.

When you tighten the safety screw, is the button flush with receiver? Sometimes, the bearing can become dislodged when the button works loose, but this will usually cause the safety to bind rather than move freely.

Is the gun new? Return it to OFM.

You could disassemble the safety and see what's there and compare it to a parts diagram. Order what's missing. If you order a bearing, order two or three of them.

chavez556
06-17-11, 12:30
It's not new I bought it used . I will try to tighten it, and see what happens . I did reorder a safety with new spring from Brownells so hopefully when I replace it I will get regular retention .