PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Leupold 1.5-5 setup?

sevin8nin
06-17-11, 02:30
Hey guys. I went out shooting with a couple friends tonight to get my new Leupold Mark4 1.5-5 optic sighted in with the ad-recon ADM mount on my LMT MRP 16". Gun has shot fine in the past with red-dot sights and irons and shot good groups. Brought a few different loads out with me, but started at 25yds with some 62gr 556 to get on paper.
Wasn't even hitting paper. Tried again, still no impact.

My friend grabbed the elevation knob, cranked it all the way one direction, then counted down, then split the difference and put it squared back in the middle. Fired a shot, about 6 inches low of POA. We started cranking away on the elevation knob, and by the time we were on at 25yds the elevation knob was bottomed out.

Moved out to the 100yd target and added about 4 clicks of elevation (up from bottomed out) and kept shooting groups at 100. The sun went down and with the flood lights it was pretty hard to see the shoot-n-see stickers until calling a cold range. But, at the end of the night I would say on average my groups were still about an inch high, so I could probably go another 4 clicks up.

I guess my concern is that out of 58 clicks (if i remember right) I'm still nearly bottomed out on elevation. Is this right for this kind of setup or have I done something wrong?

Thanks for checking.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/b0b0o7o7/MRPlongfinal.jpg

MarkG
06-17-11, 07:00
Does the mount you are using have elevation built into it?

Low Drag
06-17-11, 07:07
Look on the bright side, you have lots of UP clicks to run you out past 600 yards now.

Apricotshot
06-17-11, 08:32
I have the same set-up as you with the exception of a 18 barrel and a Larue mount. I did not encounter the same results you did however. I'd check the mount first.

Dano5326
06-17-11, 09:23
Mount

optic mounted properly?
-optic level?
-even space and tension at tightening nuts?

mount, affixed to weapon properly?
-forward placed against picatinny lug?
-cam/throw-lever/screws tensioned torqued correctly?

post tensioned
06-17-11, 10:39
With the MR/t 1.5-5, the elevation turret has a small ball bearing in it which acts as a zero stop which will limit you adjustments. Undo the screws and take the entire turret off. Under the turret is an area to put a flat screw driver in to click it up or down. Zero with that then set the turret back on it at the 100 mark.

sevin8nin
06-17-11, 11:41
With the MR/t 1.5-5, the elevation turret has a small ball bearing in it which acts as a zero stop which will limit you adjustments. Undo the screws and take the entire turret off. Under the turret is an area to put a flat screw driver in to click it up or down. Zero with that then set the turret back on it at the 100 mark.

I removed the cap and saw that, wasn't sure what it meant, but I'll try it.

As for the mount. I did torque all the bolts the same. I didn't switch the rings around when I set it up. I leveled the optic to the gun. I don't know about being all the way forward.

Does anyone know how many clicks the elevation knob should have?

ICANHITHIMMAN
06-17-11, 11:50
Sounds like heaven to me, are you 100% sure that your elevation turret is bottomed out? If you remove the knob and then turn it all the way down you might get some more. I usally see the this problem presented the other way as guys are running out of elevation.

post tensioned
06-17-11, 12:13
I removed the cap and saw that, wasn't sure what it meant, but I'll try it.

As for the mount. I did torque all the bolts the same. I didn't switch the rings around when I set it up. I leveled the optic to the gun. I don't know about being all the way forward.

Does anyone know how many clicks the elevation knob should have?

The MRT 1.5-5 will have plenty of movement to zero the gun with your mount height, the elevation turret is just limited to less than 60 clicks, to keep it under 1 rotation - it is meant for shorter distances. The turret that comes with it is for M855 out to 800 yards, at 1/2" clicks.

Just use a screw driver, zero it in then put the turret back on. Your scope and mount is most likely fine, you were just limited by the turret.

Scoby
06-17-11, 12:15

This will fix you right up. Been there, done that.

sevin8nin
06-17-11, 21:50
'ppreciate it guys. Time to get some more TAP ammo and head back out to the range.