PDA

View Full Version : Great M4 show on Tactical Arms 06/16/11

Doc Safari
06-17-11, 10:40
I really liked the show on M4 tips and accessories. Like LAV said, he gave some tips "you won't find in any manual."

I particularly liked the part on how to clear, field strip, check, and reassemble your M4 silently in the bush. :cool:

I was a bit surprised to see LAV mount an Eotech on his carbine (since I thought Aimpoint was the shizzle), but he gave some good reasons for it: like the lower 1/3 co-witness with his irons. He said he likes to leave the BUIS in the "up" positon all the time with the Eotech.

I do believe that maybe they spent too much time on the M203 and its evolution, but then again I look at things from the perspective of a civilian who will never own one.

All in all, a great show and I wish they could have gone on longer.

markm
06-17-11, 11:35
He said he likes to leave the BUIS in the "up" positon all the time with the Eotech.

I agree with him there. And since I've never seen a flip up iron that was worth a shit, the carry handle or cutdown carry handle are all I'd ever run for BUIS anyway.

ReaperAZ
06-17-11, 11:37
Man I need to see if Cox has the channel this show is on.

Glock Star
06-17-11, 11:37
I really liked the show on M4 tips and accessories. Like LAV said, he gave some tips "you won't find in any manual."

I particularly liked the part on how to clear, field strip, check, and reassemble your M4 silently in the bush. :cool:

I was a bit surprised to see LAV mount an Eotech on his carbine (since I thought Aimpoint was the shizzle), but he gave some good reasons for it: like the lower 1/3 co-witness with his irons. He said he likes to leave the BUIS in the "up" positon all the time with the Eotech.

I do believe that maybe they spent too much time on the M203 and its evolution, but then again I look at things from the perspective of a civilian who will never own one.

All in all, a great show and I wish they could have gone on longer.

Agreed, it was a solid episode. I believe LAV said he likes to run the lower 1/3 on all his RDS' and not just the EOTech. He did mention that with the BUIS up and an absolute co-witness you tend to get a "busy" sight picture (which I agree with), hence the use of the lower 1/3.

Doc Safari
06-17-11, 11:38
I agree with him there. And since I've never seen a flip up iron that was worth a shit, the carry handle or cutdown carry handle are all I'd ever run for BUIS anyway.

The part I question is: LAV is clearly an advocate of the DD fixed BUIS. He had it mounted on the M4 that he camo painted in another episode of Tactical Arms. So why have the flip up iron sight on this particular carbine if he's going to leave it deployed in the up position? Wouldn't the DD fixed sight have been the appropriate choice for this carbine too?

Maybe the DD sight doesn't co-witness at the 1/3 level? I think that's it, isn't it?

On the other episode he had an Aimpoint mounted, and IIRC it sat a bit higher on the receiver. It makes sense then that the DD has a 1/3 co-witness with the higher Aimpoint.

EDITED TO ADD:

To further muddy the waters, I'm considering the setup in the pic below. I wonder what the co-witness is on that?

interfan
06-17-11, 12:08
The part I question is: LAV is clearly an advocate of the DD fixed BUIS. He had it mounted on the M4 that he camo painted in another episode of Tactical Arms. So why have the flip up iron sight on this particular carbine if he's going to leave it deployed in the up position? Wouldn't the DD fixed sight have been the appropriate choice for this carbine too?

Maybe the DD sight doesn't co-witness at the 1/3 level? I think that's it, isn't it?

On the other episode he had an Aimpoint mounted, and IIRC it sat a bit higher on the receiver. It makes sense then that the DD has a 1/3 co-witness with the higher Aimpoint.

EDITED TO ADD:

To further muddy the waters, I'm considering the setup in the pic below. I wonder what the co-witness is on that?

I think that the theme of the show was M4 accessories, so LAV is going to show a variety of things. He knows that many guys out there use flip-ups, so he would naturally have a flip-up to illustrate a point about flipping up the rear sight.

The setup you are showing is so you can co-witness with an A2. A carry handle mount places the RDS too high to co-witness. It is a little cumbersome, but it works.

Great show btw.

40Arpent
06-17-11, 19:46
I think that the theme of the show was M4 accessories, so LAV is going to show a variety of things. He knows that many guys out there use flip-ups, so he would naturally have a flip-up to illustrate a point about flipping up the rear sight.

Took the keystrokes right off my fingertips.