PDA

View Full Version : Capturing long range shooting: a how to...

ALCOAR
06-17-11, 14:12

BaileyMoto
06-18-11, 03:07
I like. Are you taking the eyepiece off the spotting scopes and placing them within the tubing that is attached to the cameras? I really like this idea...better than buying a high zoom video cam (which I'd never use) and absolutely needing multiple cams to setup next to the target, etc. I just bought a new Sony NEX-5 and if I can somehow get away with this w/o thrashing the camera, I'd love to use it for this project.

Thumbs up!

PS, if at all interested, the NEX is an *awesome* camera for a step up from a P&S, but giving one near DSLR quality pics, as it uses the full sized APS-C sensor found in many DSLR cameras. Also quite a bit smaller than most DSLR's..makes a good ops/travel cam for me. So far, I really like it. Also does 1080p videos at superb quality. Tho, I'm not sure it will work out for this project, as it has a relatively large lens on it.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2588/5844253171_c3c8deb3ed_z.jpg

Th3Revreant
06-18-11, 10:25
Very impressive shooting. I am just getting started into the long range area as well. Any suggestions on an upper setup? Have my registered lower with a RRA National Match 2 stage that works very well for me, right at 2.5# of pull. Was contemplating running one of the RRA ATH 18" middy uppers, has the wilson ss 1in8 with dd freefloat rail. Any hands on with this particular upper? Also, back on subject. I have a Nikon L22 camera that takes amazing quality pics/video and can be picked up for around $80 bucks. I got a few on clearance due to me working at staples and get first dibs on any of the clearance items that come through the store. Not true HD video, but pretty darn close.

ALCOAR
06-18-11, 11:15

supersix4
06-18-11, 13:01
I get better bullet trace results with the camera behind me.

YMMV

LR shooting is pretty addicting isn't it? ;)