PDA

View Full Version : M&P Magazine Issue

BigHate
06-18-11, 00:37
Hey guys, I have attempted to search for and answer and haven't been able to find anything, so if this has been covered please forgive me.

I am the proud owner of a brand new M&P 9 full size. I picked up the Range and Carry version which comes with three magazines among other stuff. My problem is that only one of the magazines will fall free of the mag well when released. Two of the three will only drop maybe 1/2" before stopping. Has anyone else experienced this? If so, whats the remedy if any? I would imagine a little filing or slight sanding might help, but wanted to check with people more knowledgeable than myself. I have inspected the magazines thoroughly and can find no visible difference. As a matter of fact, I cant tell which one will drop free until I actually try it!!!:confused:

Let me know what you guys think.....

spamsammich
06-18-11, 00:39
Number your mags with a paint pen. Test them again, contact S&W and ask for replacements for the 2 that don't drop free.

skyugo
06-18-11, 00:43
a little sandpaper might do the trick if you can figure out where they are catching..
smith will probably hook you up though...

ra2bach
06-18-11, 10:30
a little sandpaper might do the trick if you can figure out where they are catching..
smith will probably hook you up though...

DON'T sand your magazines! check the magwell for an obstruction or rough area. if you get tempted to remove any material, contact Smith and see what they say first...

BigHate
06-19-11, 17:09
DON'T sand your magazines! check the magwell for an obstruction or rough area. if you get tempted to remove any material, contact Smith and see what they say first...

thanks for all the advice guys, I am getting in touch with S&W to figure it out. I'm not making any modifications to the gun or magazines until we attempt to get them replaced. I have heard alot of good things about their CS, so lets hope it lives up to that.

jdizzle921
06-21-11, 01:59
I had a similar issue and it was sorted out through S&W. You should be good to go as their CS is top notch like others have already said.

Magsz
06-21-11, 09:01
Remove your frame takedown tool.

See if the mags drop free now.

There have been burrs on the takedown tools and also burrs in the area of the pistol grip where the tool/backstrap sit that catch the mags as they try to eject.

Inspect this area and the tool and sand accordingly if you find any rough edges.

Good luck.

C4IGrant
06-21-11, 09:48
I have never seen this before (and I deal with a lot of M&P's). Let us know what you find out.

C4

BigHate
06-21-11, 13:47
Ok, I removed the take-down tool and attempted to have them drop free. One of the two problem magazines released and came down about half way, but then stopped and had to be removed by hand. I have contacted Smith and it sounds like they are just going to replace them. Which I am happy about, just doesn't make much sense. I cant imagine two magazines would be that far out of whack. I am placing an order for 4 17rd'ers from 44mag and will test those as well on arrival. Thanks again for all the help fellas.

C4IGrant
06-21-11, 13:53
. I am placing an order for 4 17rd'ers from 44mag and will test those as well on arrival. Thanks again for all the help fellas.

44Mag?? How about supporting a M4C sponsor. ;)

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=39490

C4

Drew78
06-21-11, 14:34
I am placing an order for 4 17rd'ers from 44mag and will test those as well on arrival.

Oh no you didnt...

bmg
06-21-11, 14:59

C4

Good price and good person to deal with.

BigHate
06-21-11, 23:54

C4

HAHA, my apologies Grant. I have been checking your site over the last month and it has been showing OUT OF STOCK. Don't worry, I am ordering with you. I'm glad you said something!!!!!

BigHate
06-22-11, 01:25
Ok guys, a little update. I spent about an hour working the magizines in and out of the gun. This seems to have freed up some space and they are now running pretty smoothly. I will continue to do this in hopes that I wont have to send them off and wait for replacements. I will let you all know if anything changes. So far they are all dropping free. They may have been a little "to new", thanks for all the help and suggestions fellas.

jdizzle921
06-22-11, 03:05
was it a matter of just wearing down the finish a bit? Or did you take some sandpaper to it to speed things along?

Either way...good to hear you have things workin' good.

C4IGrant
06-22-11, 08:19
HAHA, my apologies Grant. I have been checking your site over the last month and it has been showing OUT OF STOCK. Don't worry, I am ordering with you. I'm glad you said something!!!!!

LOL, good man. :D

C4

Magsz
06-22-11, 09:36
was it a matter of just wearing down the finish a bit? Or did you take some sandpaper to it to speed things along?

Either way...good to hear you have things workin' good.

Negative, please dont sandpaper your mags. :)

This is probably a case of the molding being imperfect on the magwell, ie some flash or little bit of extra material preventing the mags from dropping free completely.

There are actually a surprising number of parts that rub against each other when it comes to the magazine dropping free from the darned gun.

I have had baseplates rubbing against the frame take down tool that prevented the magazines from dropping completely.

BigHate
06-24-11, 01:48
Ok guys, another update. I thought I had them worked out and it was smooth, but they have gone back to sticking. So it looks like I will be getting them replaced. I am assuming running them in and out of the mag well loosened it up a little, but when it "cools" down it was back to sticking. So who knows......

On a side note, I have ordered 4 mags from Grant, (again, glad you piped up Grant). I will run these through and make sure to eliminate something in the mag well before I send the gun back or polish it up a little.

AKIA_AZ
06-24-11, 03:41
I have actually been having the same problem with my mags, where they will drop a bit but then kinda get stuck but if I shake the gun they fall free. For awhile it seemed to be working fine but is acting up again. I figured with the heat here it was just causing problems and have not gotten around to talking to S&W CS yet.

BigHate
06-27-11, 14:02
Last night I took the M&P out to break it in a little, all three of the mags wont fall free when released. When loaded they dont budge at all when the release is pressed. I actually have to pull them out. Anyone have any insight? Other than sending it back to Smith?

Franklin405
06-27-11, 14:15
I would send it back to S&W. I know it's not what you want to hear, but seeing as it is with all 3 mags, it must be the pistol. I have 6 magazines for mine and all of them dropped free straight out of the box, no break in. When I say dropped free that's an understatement. They fly out of the pistol at a high rate of speed. They shouldn't hang up at all.

kac
06-27-11, 15:50
I'm up to 11 factory mags. All drop free with no problem. Unfortunately, it probably does have to go back.

turbo38gn
06-27-11, 20:09
Last night I took the M&P out to break it in a little, all three of the mags wont fall free when released. When loaded they dont budge at all when the release is pressed. I actually have to pull them out. Anyone have any insight? Other than sending it back to Smith?

Something just doesn't sound right here. Can you remove the slide assembly, once removed, check the slidestop assy for being spring loaded when you try to push it up, it should be. The slide stop assy is what actually pushes the magazine out. Next, take your magazine and while holding the magazine release button in, does the magazine slide in and out easily, it should. If both of those procedures work as they should, incert your magazine till it locks, you will notice a small tab on the left side of the slide stop release contacts the magazine follower and loads the spring tension from the slide stop assy. if all that works, when you push the magazine release, the magazine should fall right out. If everything I said worked as I described, it has to work. A loaded magazine should fall out even easier with the extra back-pressure from the slide pushing on the bullet. If it still doesn't work, you holding the gun upside down, this isn't the Ghetto... :lol:

BigHate
06-27-11, 21:03
Something just doesn't sound right here. Can you remove the slide assembly, once removed, check the slidestop assy for being spring loaded when you try to push it up, it should be. The slide stop assy is what actually pushes the magazine out. Next, take your magazine and while holding the magazine release button in, does the magazine slide in and out easily, it should. If both of those procedures work as they should, incert your magazine till it locks, you will notice a small tab on the left side of the slide stop release contacts the magazine follower and loads the spring tension from the slide stop assy. if all that works, when you push the magazine release, the magazine should fall right out. If everything I said worked as I described, it has to work. A loaded magazine should fall out even easier with the extra back-pressure from the slide pushing on the bullet. If it still doesn't work, you holding the gun upside down, this isn't the Ghetto... :lol:

Just went through this whole process and they do not drop free, even when fully loaded. There is a lot of friction when inserting the mags. I even tried not holding the gun sideways!!!:lol:

turbo38gn
06-27-11, 21:32
Just went through this whole process and they do not drop free, even when fully loaded. There is a lot of friction when inserting the mags. I even tried not holding the gun sideways!!!:lol:

Did you take the slide assembly off, you have to remove it so you can see where, if there are any obstructions. You can't check the spring load on the slide stop assy if you don't remove the slide assy. In case you don't know what that is, it's the ambi slide lock, some people call it a slide release, it has to be spring loaded cause that is what ejects the magazine. With the slide off and the magazine release button depressed, what does the magazine do when you push it in slowly, if it binds where does it bind...if it doesn't bind, does it push the ambi slide rease up?

BigHate
06-27-11, 21:43
Did you take the slide assembly off, you have to remove it so you can see where, if there are any obstructions. You can't check the spring load on the slide stop assy if you don't remove the slide assy. In case you don't know what that is, it's the ambi slide lock, some people call it a slide release, it has to be spring loaded cause that is what ejects the magazine. With the slide off and the magazine release button depressed, what does the magazine do when you push it in slowly, if it binds where does it bind...if it doesn't bind, does it push the ambi slide rease up?

Yeah, I took the slide off and everything works as it should. The ambi slide release pushes the mag down as it should. But after the mag travels about an inch it stops, as if the well is too small.

turbo38gn
06-28-11, 06:27
Yeah, I took the slide off and everything works as it should. The ambi slide release pushes the mag down as it should. But after the mag travels about an inch it stops, as if the well is too small.

OK, if you hold the release button in after initial release, does it move. In other words, do not release the button, hold it in continually and see if the mag moves in and out freely.

BigHate
06-28-11, 12:43
OK, if you hold the release button in after initial release, does it move. In other words, do not release the button, hold it in continually and see if the mag moves in and out freely.

I tried that as well and the mags just stick. I am really beginning to think my mag-well is out of spec...... Looks like its getting sent in. What is the turn around on Smith's work? Thanks for all the help guys.

turbo38gn
06-28-11, 13:32
just call CS, they'll send you a pick up tag.. good luck

Slvr Surfr
09-20-12, 20:29
I have had the same issue with an VTAC 9mm I just picked up from a member here. Two of the three mags kind of dropped free. One is noticeably thicker than the other two when putting it in and releasing it. I lightly polished out the magwell on the gun and things got a little easier than before.

I measured all three mags at the magazine release notch with a digital micrometer and this is what I found:

.8550 inch
.8580 inch
.8600 inch

The first two mags drop better than the last. The little difference between the first two and third make a huge difference in how they drop. Based on what I see the issue most likely resides with the magazines being "out of spec". I am not sure if polishing the mags will make much difference. Heavy usage of the magazines will definitely polish them up enough to drop easier.