View Full Version : Larry Vickers - Pistol & Carbine - Sept 2008 - COLORADO

USMC03
10-18-07, 15:37
Vickers Tactical (Larry Vickers)

Pistol Basic

&

Carbine Basic

Pueblo West, Colorado - September 20 - 21, 2008

2 day pistol / 2 day carbine Sept 22 - 23, 2008 (you can take one class or both classes):

Price:

*2 day Pistol (Sept 20 - 21)
$375 PWSA member
$425 non member

*2 day Carbine (Sept 22 - 23)
$375 PWSA member
$425 non member

*4 days combined
$750 PWSA member
$850 non member

Note that the range fee (for non-PWSA members) will be collected at the range by PWSA personnel on the first day of each class.

ONLY CHECK OR MONEY ORDER WILL BE ACCEPTED AS PAYMENT FOR THE RANGE FEE (NO Cash / NO Credit Cards please).

Vickers Tactical Pistol Basic

This class is an entry level course for handgun shooters and is designed specifically for those who have not had any formal instruction. Topics covered include the following: safety, stance, grip, sight alignment and trigger control. Familiarization with their service pistol includes field stripping and maintenance. In addition to this, other topics that are covered include reloads, draw, and introduction to different skill drills including dry fire and bullseye shooting.

Class requirements:

• Eye and Ear Protection (electronic hearing protection is preferred)

• Serviceable handgun of at least 9mm Para caliber

• Serviceable holster

• Minimum 1 double magazine pouch

• Minimum of 3 serviceable magazines (5 is better)

• 800 rounds of ammo – factory service type (no reloads)

• Suitable range wear depending on the season

• Good attitude

Vickers Tactical Carbine Basic Course

An entry level course for carbine shooters. This class is geared for those who have not had any formal instruction. Topics covered include safety, stance, zeroing for iron sights and optics, sight alignment and trigger control. Familiarization with their carbine includes field stripping and maintenance. Other subject matter that is covered includes reloads, presentation, shooting positions, and introduction to different skill drills including dry fire and bullseye shooting.

Class requirements:

• Eye and ear protection (electronic hearing protection is preferred)

• Serviceable carbine - typical calibers include 9mm, 45 ACP, 30 cal, 5.56 mm, 7.62 x 39mm

• Serviceable sling- suitable for a variety of shooting positions - tactical type preferred

• Minimum 1 magazine pouch - or method to carry spare magazine(s)

• Minimum of 3 serviceable magazines (5 is better)

• 800 rounds of ammo - service type

• Suitable range wear depending on the season

• Good attitude

To register contact Larry Vickers at lvickers7@aol.com ..... Make checks payable to Larry Vickers

Larry's Bio can be seen here: www.vickerstactical.com/about.htm

For local support feel free to contact me at Carpenter0311@msn.com

Semper Fi,
Jeff

gyp_c2
10-18-07, 20:59
...can I go again?http://emoticons4u.com/smoking/rauch06.gif

USMC03
12-01-07, 18:11
Directions to the range and motel info listed below:

-Motels in Pueblo West (10 minute driving time to the range)

-Best Western Inn Pueblo West (719) 547-2111
-Comfort Inn of Pueblo West (719) 547-9400 (I recommend the Comfort Inn, it is only a couple years old and very nice, there is a very LARGE Super Wal Mart across the stree from it, plenty of gas stations / convience stores / fast food / resturaunts / close to grocery stores and drug stores.

If you stay at one of these motels see special directions (read: short cut) to the range below

-Motels in the city of Pueblo (30 to 40 minutes driving time to the range)

-Comfort Inn (719) 542-6868
-Super 8 Motel (719) 545-4104
-Days Inn (719) 543-8031
-Econo Lodge (719) 542-9933
-Hampton Inn (719) 544-4700
-Holiday Inn (719) 543-8050
-La Quinta Inn (719) 542-3500

Directions:

-From the city of Pueblo

-Exit I-25 at the Highway 50 West exit (also know as US 50) and head WEST bound (toward Pueblo West)

-Hwy 50 West to Purcell (first traffic light in Pueblo West)

-Turn Right (North) onto Purcell and travel 2.6 miles to Platteville Rd.

-Turn Left (West) onto Platteville Blvd and travel 1.5 miles to Gantts Fort

-Turn Right (North) onto Gantts Fort and tavel 2.4 miles to Platteville Rd. (Platteville Rd makes a large loop through Pueblo West)

-Turn Left (West) onto Platteville Rd and travel .3 (3/10) mile to Cashmere Ave

-Turn Right on Cashmere ave and take the second road left to the range. There are green / white signs once your reach Cashmere ave directing you to the range

-Coming from Colorado Springs

-South bound on I-25 to Exit #108

-Exit on #108, at the end of the off ramp take a right onto Purcell

-Travel 4.2 miles on Purcell to Platteville Rd (dirt road) and turn right onto Platteville Rd.

-Travel 2.4 miles on Platteville Rd to Cashmire Ave (when Platteville road turns from a dirt road to an asphault road, you have less than a half mile until you are at Cashmire Ave)

-Turn Right on Cashmere ave and take the second road left to the range. There are green / white signs once your reach Cashmere ave directing you to the range

-Coming from the Best Western or Comfort Inn in Pueblo West

-Take McCulloch north of Highway 50 west and follow it until it dead ends into Platteville Rd.

-Turn Left (West) onto Platteville Blvd and travel to Gantts Fort

-Turn Right (North) onto Gantts Fort and tavel 2.4 miles to Platteville Rd. (Platteville Rd makes a large loop through Pueblo West)

-Turn Left (West) onto Platteville Rd and travel .3 (3/10) mile to Cashmere Ave

*The Colorado Springs Airport is only 45 minutes away from the PWSA Range*

If anyone has any questions on directions or lodging feel free to contact me directly at Carpenter0311@msn.com

Semper Fi
Jeff

USMC03
01-03-08, 12:51
:cool:

S/F,
Jeff

USMC03
01-12-08, 18:05
In past training classes, we always have several students that travel from out of state to attend training, and some people find that flying with a firearm is too much hassle.

If you need a pistol or rifle for this class, feel free to contact me. Over the years I have lent several students firearms for training classes (free of charge)

Bolt_Overide
01-12-08, 18:43
Do we need to pay for the entire class up front? If so is any part of the cost refundable if we cannot attend for unforseen reasons?

USMC03
01-12-08, 19:06
Bolt,

As a host I don't handle any of the financial side of things or student sign up. Larry does all of that. Thus I don't know what his policy is on deposits and returning deposits if the student has to back out.

If you email Larry with your questions he'll let you know how everything goes.

If there is anything else I can help you with, feel free to drop me a line.

Take care and stay safe

Semper Fi,
Jeff

USMC03
02-13-08, 13:05
BTT

S/F,
Jeff

USMC03
03-03-08, 21:04
Several have asked for an address for the range (Out of state SBR paperwork, training paperwork for LEO's, etc). Physical address for the range is:

Pueblo West Sportsman's Association (PWSA)
402 East Loma Drive
Pueblo West, CO 81007

S/F,
Jeff

Magsz
03-04-08, 15:40
Im attempting to sucker, i mean convince my girlfriend into buying me a ticket to this class for my birthday in September.

Ive got to ask a question though. I read the description in regards to who this class is tailored towards but i have less than 350 rounds total through an ar15 and about 500 on a pistol. Id really rather not go to a class like this and waste my time, LAV's time and the rest of the students time.

Would you recommend this class to someone that has almost no experience with firearms but desperately wants to learn?

USMC03
03-04-08, 16:36
Would you recommend this class to someone that has almost no experience with firearms but desperately wants to learn?

Yes, I would recommend this class to a beginner or someone who has been shooting for years.

We had all skill levels in last years class (from guys like yourself who had only shot a couple hundred rounds to SWAT cops, Security Contractors, and competition shooters).

Larry is an extreemly skilled instructor and all students learned a lot. I know several of them are coming back again this year.

If I thought the class was above you skill level I would tell you, if you come with a "desperately wants to learn" attitude, you will do fine and leave with a solid foundation in the fundementals.

S/F,
Jeff

gyp_c2
03-04-08, 19:18
...as one of the less experienced guys, I can definitely tell you it's better to take this course before you develop anymore bad habits...
Learn the LAV way and you won't have years of crap to unlearn...
http://emoticons4u.com/smoking/rauch06.gif

USMC03
04-09-08, 20:49
Training oppertunities like this don't come to Colorado or surrounding states often. Take advantage of this training class while there are still slots avalible.

S/F,
Jeff

losbronces
04-12-08, 21:08
Training oppertunities like this don't come to Colorado or surrounding states often. Take advantage of this training class while there are still slots avalible.

S/F,
Jeff

When I saw this, I thought I might be able to work the class in around another commitment I have in September. But the other event is for the 22-24, so not this time.

USMC03
06-09-08, 12:01
Slots still avalible for both classes.

You can opt to take just the Pistol, just the rifle, or both classes.

30 cal slut
06-09-08, 12:18
I cannot recommend LAV's pistol and carbine classes enough.

Put off that next EBR purchase and invest instead in some quality training.

Trust me on this ... folks like LAV are an astoundingly good resource.

If he swings by your neck of the woods ... GO!

Magsz
06-17-08, 16:38
Are there slots still open?

Ive waffled enough, i think im going to commit to coming to this class.

USMC03
06-17-08, 18:02
Yes, there are still slots avalible in both the Carbine and the Pistol courses.

S/F,
Jeff

Magsz
06-17-08, 18:52
Thank you.

I went ahead and emailed larry to go ahead and sign up.

Im looking forward to meeting some of you guys there!

Nathan_Bell
06-17-08, 19:42
...as one of the less experienced guys, I can definitely tell you it's better to take this course before you develop anymore bad habits...
Learn the LAV way and you won't have years of crap to unlearn...
http://emoticons4u.com/smoking/rauch06.gif

That is something that needs repeating, practicing without the correct fundementals will cause you grief. I speak from experience.

Larry Vickers
06-24-08, 22:45
I am now running a standby list for pistol and I have 2 more slots for carbine - after that I will be running a standby list - within the last month this class has really filled up; I had some late cancellations last year so I would urge anyone interested to contact me to either get the last 2 carbine slots or get on the standby list

Thanx again to Jeff Carpenter for hosting this - I have word that Drake from Magpul will be there spreading some Magpul love so it should be another great time had by all

cheers

LAV

USMC03
06-25-08, 11:39
Larry,

PM inbound in reference to a possible slot that may come avalible.

S/F,
Jeff

Magsz
06-27-08, 10:58
Im really looking forward to this course.

Im actually headed out of the office right now to go look at a couple different rifles and perhaps a new pistol.

Also really looking forward to meeting Drake, i want an autograph. :)

Byte
07-15-08, 23:03
Would a 16" M1a be allowed in this course? I see the larger battle rifles having their own classification on the Vickers site.

Not an AR platform fan ergonomically speaking. Would much prefer to train with what I love.

Byte

Larry Vickers
07-16-08, 11:56
technically yes - I have had short barreled M1A's in my carbine classes before - by the end of the class the users almost always wish they would have brought a .223 AR of some flavor as shooting a .30 cal in a class can be a brutal experience

In short; yes you can bring an M1A

cheers

LAV

Byte
07-16-08, 20:04
Thanks for the quick reply. I was thinking about this last night and wondered what day 2 would start like with a ~400 round pair of matching pit bruises. The propensity to flinch might come up. I know a 200 rnd day leaves me quite sore. I'll have to give it some serious thought before committing.

Byte

USMC03
07-21-08, 10:18
I just received word from Larry Vickers that we had one student slot in both the Pistol Course and the Carbine Course become avalible.

To sign up for this slot or check avalibility please contact Larry Vickers directly (contact info in my first post)

Thanks

S/F,
Jeff

Skyviking
08-04-08, 22:40
Jeff, what sort of weather should we expect? (I'll be bringing the Duofolds, anyway.)

Regards,
Andy

SIMPLYDYNAMIC
09-17-08, 21:10
I have word that Drake from Magpul will be there spreading some Magpul love so it should be another great time had by all

cheers

LAV

Dont go easy on him! ;)

USMC03
09-17-08, 21:53
Jeff, what sort of weather should we expect? (I'll be bringing the Duofolds, anyway.)

Regards,
Andy

No tellling how the weather will be ...... It's south central Colorado in Sept......My suggestion is to bring: shorts, sun block, rain gear, and cold weather gear.

It's Wednsday, and so far this week it's been in the low 80's. Looks like this weekend will be in the 70's - low 80's.

S/F,
Jeff