PDA

View Full Version : TA31 or Aimpoint w/3x mag?

tch2391
06-18-11, 11:04
I need an honest opinion from those who have used both of these scopes. I have a Eotech 512 on my rifle right now but I am selling it to my dad, and I am now in the market for a new optic. I want something that I can go out to 100-200 yards, but also have fun plinking with as well. And from Larue they are both similarly priced. What's your honest opinion?

BTW, the gun is a S&W 16inch.

Singlestack Wonder
06-18-11, 11:49
Use the Search function at the top and enter "Which Optic". It will list approx. 100 pages of topics yielding a wealth of information.

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii183/Singlestack_Wonder/M4SER-1.jpg

msstate56
06-18-11, 17:27
Instead of the standard "use the search function" answer that seems to be the only answer given out anymore, I'll give my opinion. For a general purpose carbine, I prefer an ACOG. I have a TA31 on my GP gun. For cqb, I would rather use an Aimpoint alone. However I've tried the 3X mag route, and I much prefer the ACOG. A TA31 is not the best optic for close range, but it is workable. I find that the sight picture is much clearer with the ACOG, than an Aimpoint and 3X mag (probably because light has to pass through 4 lenses). For what you describe, I feel you would like the ACOG more. If it is solely an home defense gun, then I would use an Aimpoint only.

tch2391
06-18-11, 17:50
mssate56,

I truly appreciate your reply. I think I will end up going with the TA31 on a Larue QD. After doing some research and hearing your opinion.

Failure2Stop
06-18-11, 18:55
If you only need to reach out 200 meters, you will be overpaying for the result the Cog will give you over an Aimpoint w/magnifier, and if you want to do any kind of sub-25 meter work in anything other than daylight the Aimpoint will be much more applicable and efficient.

But those are "if"s.

ETA- the 31 is the dog of the ACOG line. I would recommend a 33 or 11 way over the 31, but for the $$ I would recommend a decent 1-4.

tch2391
06-18-11, 19:09
So realistically, could I get an Aimpoint dead nuts at 200 meters with a magnifier? Or is the magnifier basically to give you a better sight picture at a longer range? I really would like to do a carbine class sometime and the option of being able to do <50 meters is kinda important. I have just heard LEO guys I know say they make do with a cog up close.

BCmJUnKie
06-18-11, 19:18
I use a magnifier once in awhile on my M3. It does a good job. I also use an ACOG every couple weeks, I dont use it everytime out at the range. Inside of 15 yards you lose the chevron and its blurry. I like my Aimpoint AND Eotech because I can shoot un-magnified...I love having the option

BCmJUnKie
06-18-11, 19:19
[QUOTE=tch2391;1026424]So realistically, could I get an Aimpoint dead nuts at 200 meters with a magnifier? QUOTE]

All your groups with the magnifier will be tighter above 100yards with the magnifier.

Kahlendrrari
06-18-11, 19:50
but for the $$ I would recommend a decent 1-4.

such as this:http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-1-4x24-Tactical-30mm-Riflescope-P48372.aspx best of both worlds

but if you want either the ACOG or Aimpoint + Magnifier.. i would go with the aimpoint, as ACOGs give you "fish eye" when firing with both eyes open, and the magnification is fixed. I have an EOTech with the 3X magnifier and i like it. yeah there is added weight with the magnifier + RDS but i'll deal with it. I'm no weapons expert, nor do i play one on TV but i have had the chance to fondle the ACOGs and they didn't really do a whole lot for me.

tch2391
06-18-11, 20:10
Thanks for all the input guys. I've got a flat top and ordered a Larue 7.0 rail, so I've got room for two mounts.

Crow Hunter
06-19-11, 07:44
I have both the TA33 and the Aimpoint m4 with 3x magnifier.

If I wanted magnification, I prefer the TA33. Much lighter than the 3x and Aimpoint combined, which makes for a much better balanced rifle. Slightly better field of view with the TA33 and much clearer/brighter optics that are more forgiving of head position. Granted, I haven't actually shot the rifle with the TA33 on it, just played around with it in the yard and house.

My 3x is in the Larue FTS mount, and honestly I think it would be better in the twist mount. When it is on the rifle folded to the side it makes the rifle unwieldy in my opinion.

I have fired a HK416 with a TA11 and I have shouldered and played with an AR with a TA31. I prefer the TA33 followed by the TA11, then the TA31.

I have decided that for my uses the unmagnified M4s is better. So both my TA33 and the magnifier are for sale.:D