PDA

View Full Version : Question for the grill masters...

Slater
06-18-11, 13:09
Going to be grilling some ribs at my stepdaughter's house in a couple days. Probably going to be pre-cooking the ribs to save some time. Some guys I know like to pre-boil the ribs before grilling while others pre-bake them in the oven. Is one method preferable to the other?

montanadave
06-18-11, 13:27
They're kinda of a pain in the ass, but there's a recipe I've used a time or two from a chef named Jimmy Schmidt who cooked at the Rattlesnake Club in Denver. You braise the ribs first, then do a rub, and finish them off on the BBQ with a basting sauce. Pork baby back ribs prepared this way are fantastic. Here's a link to the recipe for Jimmy's Red Hot Rattlesnake Ribs:

http://article-knowledge-base.com/-rattlesnake-ribs-articleid58647.htm

If you braise your ribs, smear them with the rub, and stick 'em in the fridge for a day or two before slapping them on the BBQ to heat 'em up and give them a little char, it makes feeding a crowd quick and easy and really gives the flavor a chance to develop.

Gutshot John
06-18-11, 15:49
Don't pre-boil sucks all the fat/flavor out of them.

Pre-bake.

Use dry rub, flat pan, cover with foil, bake 250degrees for 2-3 hours for back ribs, 3-4 hours for spare ribs.

Finish on the grill with your favorite bbq sauce

Honu
06-18-11, 16:04
Teriyaki short ribs pre cook in slow cooker or simmerncause it gets the flavor in deeper and then you save that sauce to pour over the rice and ribs

Other ribs I would not boil though so tery short ribs would be my only exception

Smuckatelli
06-18-11, 17:41
You are looking at 2-3 hours worth of cooking time no matter what you do. John hit the nail on the head with the boil sucking the fat/flavor out of the ribs. If you plan on makeing a soup....boiling is the way to go...

Baking and finishing up on the grill works good but something that you may want to think about is getting a cheap smoker:

http://www.lowes.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10151&catalogId=10051&cId=SEARCH&productId=3294734&cm_mmc=SCE_gps-_-gps-_-gps-_-Master%20Forge%20Charcoal%20Smoker%20CBS1101L

About two weeks ago we wanted to do some ribs, we have tried numerous ways to do them and all have been lacking to an extent. I went out to Lowes and bought a smoker for $59, some charcoal, wood chips.....all in all probably spent around $80 after the military discount.

I highly recommend smoking ribs. It takes about the same amount of time as the other methods. Once you have the charcoal burning, and the wood chips in....you leave it alone. No turning of the ribs, the temperature stayed aroud 250. An hour before they were served, I put the BBQ sauce (they were rubbed the night before). You don't have to sit and monitor the grill while it is cooking as long as there are no combustables around. It is completely contained and the fire never touches the ribs.

kaiservontexas
06-18-11, 18:51
Smoke 'em! I agree with the above.

RD62
06-18-11, 19:23
Low and slow. Indirect heat is good. Braiding is good as it helps lock in the juices.

Boiling sucks out the flavor and I think makes them tough. I can't think of much that's better when boiled and certainly not meat.

OldState
06-18-11, 21:16
I do it the opposite way. I will cook the ribs in my BBQ(smoker) for an hour or so and then put them in a 250 degree(325 if your in a real hurry) oven wrapped in foil. They only need a little time on the smoke to pick up a lot of flavor.

Understand I only do this when I am rushed and they are prepared with a rub, etc first.

SeriousStudent
06-18-11, 23:35
........ You don't have to sit and monitor the grill while it is cooking as long as there are no combustables around. It is completely contained and the fire never touches the ribs.

I am very sorry my friend, but I must respectfully disagree. Ribs require constant monitoring.

The apparatus involved consists of fine cigars, beverages (preferably distilled rather than fermented) and firearms of high quality - spoken of in hushed and reverent tones.

Comfortable lawn chairs and shade are often mentioned as prerequisites as well.

That's how we do it down here, anyway.

sandman99and9
06-19-11, 10:14
I am very sorry my friend, but I must respectfully disagree. Ribs require constant monitoring.

The apparatus involved consists of fine cigars, beverages (preferably distilled rather than fermented) and firearms of high quality - spoken of in hushed and reverent tones.

Hmmmm, sounds like an average southern weekend.
Good food,good drink, guns, and friends :)

Happy Fathers day everyone !!!

S.M.

rjacobs
06-19-11, 14:17
Boil or bake ribs? What is this you are talking of.

Smoker for 6 hours(3-2-1 method). You can do these ahead of time on the smoker and then re-heat in an oven(only use of an oven with ribs I approve of). If you are going to do this I would probably skip the final hour since you will probably cook them in the oven for about an hour at the end to reheat them.

Smuckatelli
06-19-11, 15:15

You're a Serious Student...I'm just a regular Smuck..;)

I shall correct my method of smoking next time...promise.:)

@rjacobs, I read about the 3-2-1 method, I had a time constraint so I stuck with 3 hours worth of smoking. I'll combine Serious Students method with the 3-2-1 method next time.

rjacobs
06-19-11, 15:20
Yea 3 hours of smoke and then you could foil and transfer to the oven for 2 hours. If you smoked for 3 hours and then refrigerated I would foil and oven for 2 hours and then take them out of the foil for an hour for the re-heat. Should work out pretty well. Cook at 225 in the oven for all of this.

GLOCKMASTER
06-19-11, 15:33
I found this on another forum some time ago and it's the recipe that I follow when cooking ribs.

2-6 Racks of (very meaty) Ribs
Kraft BBQ sauce (one bottle per rack)
Tabasco to taste
Grilling Tongs and Grill
Long BBQ sauce brush.
Six pack of beer on ice.

Start with the best BBR (Baby Back Ribs) you can find. Nice big racks.

Purchase Kraft BBQ sauce, I know its Kraft BBQ sauce but it’s how it’s grilled that makes it great.

Heat oven to 180 degrees, not one degree hotter!!!!!!! (Any hotter and the meat will shrivel off the bone. We want the meat to stay on the bone.)

Place racks on a cookie sheet, usually I place two racks on one cookie sheet.

Cover with BBQ sauce. (about a cup per rack) And place a tinfoil “tent” over the ribs. (We are trying to keep the moisture in the tent, and gently cook the ribs without boiling the flavor away.) And place in oven for 4-6 hours.

(Last 20 minutes get grill and cooler of beer ready. Once you place the ribs on the grill you will not be leaving the grill for about 45 minutes.)

Safety tip; When removing ribs from the oven the cookie sheet will have at least a ¼-1/2 inch of water in the bottom, carefully remove from oven and place on a flat surface.

Remove tinfoil tent. Remove ribs and place on cutting board. Cut down the middle on both sides of each bone ensuring there is meat on both sides of the bone. (Note; if you cut along the edge of the ribs the meat will fall off the bone during the grilling phase)

Place 2 bottles of Kraft BBQ sauce in a bowl and season with Tabasco to taste.

Now the fun part, place all the individual ribs in a large bowl, or on a large cutting board and grab your cooler, chair, tongs, brush and head to the grill. (If you are a clean fanatic do not try this recipe. It will make a mess of your grill.)

I use a two level propane grill, but if you use a charcoal grill you need to have a cool spot for ribs.

Open Beer and place all ribs on a med fire. Turn all ribs in same direction and coat generously with BBQ sauce (it should be dripping off the ribs). The reason for the dress right dress is knowing what ribs have been coated and what side was coated last.

Turn ribs every few minutes and coat, turn and coat, turn and coat. Get the idea? We are trying to “caramelize” the BBQ sauce onto the ribs and also give them a “slight” burn. Because we are coating so heavily the is always a chance for a flare up, if it occurs you have to move quickly and have to decide on one of two courses of action;

Option One, quickly and without delay move all the ribs from the offending flames to a cooler section of the grill.

Option two, use the beer in your left hand to quiet the flames. (I hate wasting beer so I use option one most of the time.)

(Note; If you are not a grill master DO NOT WALK AWAY FROM THE GRILL! Not even for a minute. If you do Murphy will know and a “flame up” will occur burning your ribs to a crisp in a matter of seconds.)

Keep turning and coating the ribs, it is a 45 minute non stop process. Ribs are done then the BBQ sauce is caramelized onto the ribs and the ribs have a slight to med slight burn.

I usually make more then necessary, they are just as good the next day!

kaiservontexas
06-19-11, 16:19
booze, ribs, smoker, mesquite, fire, smoke = win win win

rjacobs
06-19-11, 16:26
No offense Glockmaster, but YUCK. Ribs without spending a few hours on the smoke aint ribs. And BBQ with BBQ sauce is not BBQ. If the meat and rub is good and cooked right you dont need no sauce. And a 6 pack, thats all:D? I usually house down a case when running my smoker. Ive downed a handle of captain in a long day cooking as well.

Ive got a brisket I just pulled off my smoker that is resting and a pork shoulder thats due to come off in about 20 mins. I will post pics here shortly of the results. Been on since 8am.

Smuckatelli
06-19-11, 17:00
No offense Glockmaster, but YUCK. Ribs without spending a few hours on the smoke aint ribs. And BBQ with BBQ sauce is not BBQ. If the meat and rub is good and cooked right you dont need no sauce. And a 6 pack, thats all:D? I usually house down a case when running my smoker. Ive downed a handle of captain in a long day cooking as well.

Ive got a brisket I just pulled off my smoker that is resting and a pork shoulder thats due to come off in about 20 mins. I will post pics here shortly of the results. Been on since 8am.

RECIPES SVP!!!!

It's going to be a good summer with the smoker.

GLOCKMASTER
06-19-11, 17:31
No offense Glockmaster, but YUCK. Ribs without spending a few hours on the smoke aint ribs. .

Different strokes for different folks. Family loves them.

rjacobs
06-19-11, 22:00
Pictures kind of suck, but the meat was fantastic. Rub was a little shitty, but it wasnt my favorite rub, just some crap I was finishing up. I usually use Bad Byrons Butt Rub.

Brisket
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/rjacobs1/IMG_20110619_180311.jpg

Pulled Pork
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/rjacobs1/IMG_20110619_180301.jpg

SeriousStudent
06-19-11, 23:15
Now that's good eatin!

I love the burnt bits and pieces from the brisket and pork butts. It seems like they have the best flavor, and make wonderful sandwiches.

A side of good potato salad, and an ice-cold beer. I'm in heaven. :)

Armati
06-20-11, 16:47
Do not parboil, bake, or otherwise pre-cook ribs. It is a waste of rib. If time is the issue, cook something else. Good rib is an all day affair. I like to shoot bottle rockets while I wait.

First, dry rub the ribs with your favorite rub. Place in the fridge for AT LEAST a day. Memphis rib houses will let them sit for a week or more.

Remove from fridge and let come to room temp.

Pre-heat grill to 200-275. Low and slow.

If you have hardwoods on your property, cut a few small branches. Strip the bark and green wood leaving just the hard white core. Cut into pencil size pieces and wrap in a foil pouch. Make sure you use only small branches so there is no cork. Poke a few holes in the top of this and place on one corner of the grill. This will act like a smoker.

Plan to cook for about 4 hours but this will be a judgement call.

Place ribs on grill for about an hour face up. You may want to flip them about every 30 minutes after that. This will be a judgement call based on the amount of heat the bottom is getting. On a large grill this will not be a problem because you can use only indirect heat. In this case you will not need to flip them.

For the last 10-20 minutes of cooking, begin to baste with your BBQ sauce. Let each layer bake on then add a new layer every 5-10 minutes or so.

I do this every 4th of July. Enjoy.

Suwannee Tim
06-20-11, 17:48
I discovered this stuff and it is good:

Gator Sauce (http://gatorhammock.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1&zenid=a5aq7661menj3ggamepjc2f5g6)

They sell it by the gallon! YeeeHaw!:D

.......I do this every 4th of July. Enjoy.

I'll bring the Gator Sauce! What time do we eat?

Army Chief
06-20-11, 19:53

Respect.

AC

PdxMotoxer
06-20-11, 22:43
I've never heard of boiling them first... i know some fancy restaurants STEAM theirs before they go on the grill.
(I have a nice smoker but he asked about grilling them)

but if you don't have a set-up to steam them then follow GLOCK"S info (only pick a BBQ you like... i use sweet baby ray's)

I've tried a few and even a few homemade sauces but keep going back
to Sweet Baby Ray's.

Also i do a brown sugar rub the night before and let it sit in fridge
then do your baking before you grill.

Don't add the sauce till the last 15-18mins of grilling.
and make sure you turn them over before you start and make sure there is no "silverskin" still attached to your baby backs.

Practice and play around with it till you find something your proud to brag about... lol

**I use and recommend a "Traeger Lil' Tex Elite Grill"**

Happy Grilling!!

Gutshot John
06-21-11, 06:49
I smoke my own when time permits but it can be daunting the first time especially with the initial cost involved and when people are depending on you for dinner.

Its not hard but you have to experiment once or twice. Baked ribs aren't BBQ but they can be quite good and are fairly quick/predictable.

If you are going to smoke you need to start two days in advance. Day zero rub and refrigerate. Day one let come to room temp and smoke, be prepAred to devote some time to it, refrigerate. Alternate If you fail, go buy more ribs and rub them. Day two Remove from fridge, let warm up a bit in oven, finish on grill. Alternate bake/braise ribs and finish on grill. Serve.

Smuckatelli
06-21-11, 08:37
Its not hard but you have to experiment once or twice.

Yeah...you were probably experimenting on the Jarheads at Oura Wan Beach.....:D

We used to go across the bay, buy & slaughter a pig do some kinda Hawaiian coal, leaf dohickey and bury the pig on Oura Wan Beach for about 8 hours....kegs of beer, volleyball, anyone stupid enough to show up dressed in anything but beach wear was dumped into the ocean....including the OOD.

Anyone know how to cook a whole pig underground?

Gutshot John
06-21-11, 09:17

indeed though it's not hard to impress jarheads with anything that has passed through death and fire. ;)

Honu
06-21-11, 13:33

We used to go across the bay, buy & slaughter a pig do some kinda Hawaiian coal, leaf dohickey and bury the pig on Oura Wan Beach for about 8 hours....kegs of beer, volleyball, anyone stupid enough to show up dressed in anything but beach wear was dumped into the ocean....including the OOD.

yup the best way to do pig in my eyes is and the tastiest is Kalua pig
miss the island food big time
we used to wrap fish in leaves and deer meat when I lived on Lanai and do it this way also :) frigin awesome

Kiawe is used a lot which is Mesquite here on the mainland so when using wood for Hawaiian flavor Mesquite can be substituted

you can get banana or tea leaves and make it in the oven ? to me the leaves give a bit of flavor that you cant put your finger on
also key is Hawaiian salt !!! sea salt can work but Hawaiian salt is smoother on my tongue and a bit more earthy than salty the prob is the earth does not get into the flavor so the liquid smoke is used in oven style ? while close its not quite the same but thats accepted and many luau joints mix in the oven pig with the imu pig
so Kalua pig (Pua'a) can be oven or imu ? just so you know :)
true imu cooking has its unique flavor though

google
Sam Choys kalua pig or kalua pua'a and you find some other recipes but they are all about the same

Sam is a local chef :) respected by all locals as good local food guy used to love going to his place cause he gives huge local size portions :) hehehehe so his other island recipes are all good

for grins if you like that also google Laulau recipe butterfish pork steamed in leaves ! which are kinda spinach leaves

SeriousStudent
06-21-11, 19:14

Yeah, but those Navy chicks screamed like banshee's...... :(

HES
06-21-11, 22:36
Something I put together back in 2006 but it applies here as well

For all the time that I have been here, I dont think I have ever expressed how cool I think the place is. Nor have I really ever contributed much beyond being a wise ass. Well allow me to try. With "Lord and Master of All He Surveys Appreciation Day" (AKA Fathers Day) having just passed and it being the summer grilling season for almost any place not in the south (Sorry Canada, y'all are screwed till July 5th and only get to enjoy it until the the 10th) I thought I would share this.

With out further ado, I present

HES'S RIB RECIPIE
HES’s BBQ Marinade
1 cup cider vinegar 1 cup cider
1 cup minced garlic 1 cup bay leaves
2 tablespoons hot sauce (if its your thing) 1 tablespoon of salt.

HES’s BBQ Rub
1 tablespoon garlic powder 2 teaspoons onion powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon 1 teaspoon black pepper
1 Pinch of basil 1 Tablespoon Adobo
1 teaspoon salt

HES’s MOPPING SAUCE
6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) salted butter 1 1/2 cups apple cider
1/3 cup brown sugar 1/2 cup bourbon
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper

The Ribs
Try to get fresh ribs. If at all possible avoid frozen ribs.

Pre Operative procedures
Keep in mind that cooking ribs is not a job. It’s a labor of love. Nothing says man-cooking more than sitting by a grill or smoker for hours on end, paying attention to the beautiful meal that you are cooking. With that in mind there is a lot of prep work to do. My first advice is when you buy the ribs you may want to have the butcher break the rib bone first. I don’t. I prefer to cook the ribs first and break them my self with a cleaver and rubber mallet, but if you are not up to this then it’s something to consider. Next, you need to start this on the morning before you are going to cook the ribs.
The first thing you must do in this labor of love is to open a beer and have a sip. Keep a few beers near by. Don’t drink too much though as you will be working with sharp objects and a fire, but preparing ribs with out having a beer would be like painting the Mona Lisa with a frown. It’s just not natural, now on to the work at hand.
“Trim them ribs!”. To do this, place the ribs meat-side up on a cutting board. Cut along the line of fat at the base of the ribs to remove the cartilaginous rib tips. Turn the meat over, rib-side up. Cut off the flap of meat on the inside of the ribs.
The reason to remove these pieces is that they will burn, well before the ribs are done. This can ruin your ribs. But fret not. No need to waste these pieces. You can season them and grill them over direct heat for about 15 minutes, turning once. They are delicious.

Optional section
Well this isn’t an optional section for me, but like the breaking of the ribs, some may not want to put this much effort into the meal. Personally I think this is a critical part, but that’s my personal opinion. Now on to what I recommend you do. With the rib-side up, finesse a thin sharp knife under the tough membrane that covers the bones. Working from one rib to the next, pull the membrane off the rib. For a better grip, grab the membrane with a paper towel. Keep in mind though that the membrane may tear and you may have to start over. Don’t give up. The end result will be worth this temporary insanity because removing the membrane allows the spices and smoke to penetrate the ribs and makes the ribs much more attractive and easier to eat.

The Marinade
Some heathens out there will actually just buy a package of ribs and throw them on the grill. While considered blaspheme by those who are true believers in rib cooking, we do try to have pity on them for they know not what they do. But you are obviously interested in doing things the right way so listen closely and join your brethren in glorious abandon.
In the beginning, Mix 1 cup cider vinegar, 1 cup cider, garlic, bay leaves, and the salt in a glass or Pyrex bowl. Do not use a metal bowl as the metal can react with the marinade. To do so would be a mortal sin. In a shallow, non-reactive pan large enough to hold the ribs, place the ribs in the pan and then pour the heavenly marinade over them, turn to coat, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 8 hours and up to 16 hours, turning once during this time.

The Dry-Rub
On the second day, it is time for the dry-rub (and another beer). Keep in mind that you may have skipped the first day of preparation. Your sin can be forgiven by doing this part. This is the next step in attaining Nirvana. It is a vital step and one that should be skipped only at a grave personal risk of being damned to eat McDonalds McRib sandwiches for the all eternity. Remove the ribs from the pan 2 hours before you are going to smoke or BBQ them and LIGHTLY pat the ribs dry with paper towels. Discard the marinade. Mix your dry rub and sprinkle ½ cup of the rub over each side of the ribs. As you sprinkle each side of the ribs with the rub, RUB (lightly) it into the meat. Cover and refrigerate for about 1 1/2 hours. Remove the ribs from the refrigerator and let them sit at room temperature for 1/2 hour before grilling.

The Mopping Sauce
The mopping sauce is another important part. It serves a critical role in ensuring that your ribs do not become dehydrated. Nothing is worse than cooked ribs that have the texture of leather. The mopping sauce also adds another layer of flavor to the ribs that your pallet will thank your for.
Melt the butter in a saucepan. Add the cider, sugar and pepper to bring to a boil. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the bourbon. Correct the seasoning, adding salt, to taste.
You will apply this mixture to the ribs once every hour or so with a spray bottle, a barbecue mop, a pastry brush or a long-handled spoon.

The Fire
Nothing says BBQ like the fire. But there are three components to any good fire. They are 1) Heat 2) Flame and 3) the smoke. You want a nice medium heat (about 350 degrees), lots of smoke, and you want to keep the flames away from direct contact with your meat. Now you may not have a smoker or charcoal fired grill but don’t fret. You can still do these ribs right. Most stores (such as Wal-Mart) sell accessories (wood pellets and holders) that will allow you to smoke your foods. But for this I will be cooking my ribs in the ordained manner; on a charcoal fired grill with a combination of charcoal and wood. The wood is important to put that smoky flavor in your meat.
Soak about 3 cups of wood chips or the appropriate amount of chunks (hickory, mesquite, oak, or apple or any combination thereof it you are feeling sexy) for at least 1/2 hour in cold water prior to cooking. Drain and add 1 cup of the wood chips. FYI, I prefer the wood chunks. They seem to offer more smoke

Its time to get down to business
You have done everything according to the book (well this one at least) by this point. Now it is time for the glorious moment. Your fire is ready. The ribs are properly prepared. You are now ready finally to place your ribs in their shrine. First, open a beer and have a drink. Now place the ribs on the grill and close the grill. Grill the ribs until they are crispy, and the meat has pulled back from the bone. This will take about 3 to 4 hours, depending on the heat of your grill. Spray or baste the ribs with the vinegar-cider mixture every hour, and turn them each hour during grilling. Don't forget to add more wood chips (or chunks)—and, if using charcoal, more coals—as needed (check every hour or so). You should have enough soaked wood chips or chunks for about 3 hours of cooking time; if your ribs take longer, you will need to soak more chips.

Post cooking
Remove the ribs from the grill. Let them sit on the counter for about 10 minutes or so. Cutting any meat immediately after pulling it off the grill is like going on a date with a stripper and only playing checkers all night. The meat has to rest so that the juices, which have retreated away from the outer areas, has the chance to migrate evenly throughout the meat. If you want you can spray or baste with any remaining basting liquid, and sprinkle with the remaining the 1/4 cup of rub. Serve as is, or with BBQ sauce.

Some thoughts
If the ribs are done before you are ready to eat, wrap them in heavy-duty aluminum foil and leave them over very low, indirect heat for up to 1 hour.
Regarding the BBQ sauce, look I’ve violated enough confidentiality agreements up to this point. Aint no way you are getting the BBQ sauce recipe as well. You are on your own. Now excuse me while I pack my bags before the enforcers get here. Corn on the cob goes great with ribs. The best thing to do is leave the corn alone. Don’t shuck it. Soak them whole in lukewarm water for about a half an hour, then wrap them in tinfoil and place them on the grill, over direct heat, turning often. To me corn tastes the best this way. Keep in mind that Ribs are not the exclusive domain of summer. They are great any time. I have experimented over the years to come up with what I have given you.