PDA

View Full Version : Wichita council authorizes purchase of Colt 6940s for Wichita PD

Leonidas24
06-18-11, 13:49
Watch here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1fuiFhlPPQ&feature=related)

I was thrilled to see this. I had previously heard a rumor from a LEO buddy I go to church with that the local PD might go with Bushmasters. To my surprise, they did not. :D

SeriousStudent
06-18-11, 14:53
Occasionally good sense and reason slips through the cracks, and the politicians do the right thing. ;)

I'm hoping part of the $64K goes to good mags, lights, optics and slings. Along with racks inside the car, so things don't get slung in the truck.

Score one for the good guys this time.

Bradd_D
06-18-11, 15:02
Are they actually purchasing 6940's or was a random picture of a Colt rifle used for the report?

Leonidas24
06-18-11, 15:57
Are they actually purchasing 6940's or was a random picture of a Colt rifle used for the report?

I'll have to check with my friend but my guess is that that image was provided by a Wichita PD source. Either way if it's 6920s that are being purchased it's still a good thing.

Bradd_D
06-18-11, 16:09
They're definitely coming out ahead either way.

one
06-19-11, 00:19
Excellent, I'm really glad to hear this.

JPP
06-19-11, 13:10
Sweet deal for my neighbors just to the south.
EVERY officer in the USA should have access not only
to a patrol rifle, but good training to go with it.

JP

ZuluDeltaBravo
06-19-11, 15:40
EVERY officer in the USA should have access not only
to a patrol rifle, but good training to go with it.

JP

This.

Of all the places I've lived, Wichita probably has the some of the most solid police officers I've ever dealt with...that said, even the best will fall to thier level of training when the stress is on. So hopefully they put together a decent training and integration program for thier newly aquired ARs.

JPP
06-19-11, 17:49
Does anyone happen to know for sure what most Urban
Departments issue their officers for ammo in .223/5.56?
Just wondering,

JP

one
06-19-11, 18:13
We're restricted to 55 gr. FMJ here.

emt370
06-19-11, 18:55
Does anyone happen to know for sure what most Urban
Departments issue their officers for ammo in .223/5.56?
Just wondering,

JP

Not to get too far off topic, but I work in a very built-up area and we are using Federal LE223T1 55gr JSP.

Back on topic, after my experiences in LE thus far, I would refuse to work at an agency that did not allow officers to carry patrol rifles. It sounds caddy, but it says a lot about the agency and where officer safety and desire to accomplish the mission rank. I'm thrilled to hear stuff like this. On a hot call involving weapons, I feel naked without my AR, and that's not a knock on my ability with a pistol...it's just common sense and tactics. Seeing firsthand the accuracy differences between both when the SHTF, I'm a bit skewed.

Were officers able to purchase their own rifles and carry them in Wichita prior to this?

JPP
06-19-11, 19:53
Not to get too far off topic, but I work in a very built-up area and we are using Federal LE223T1 55gr JSP.

Were officers able to purchase their own rifles and carry them in Wichita prior to this?

*** I seriously doubt it being it is a City PD. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
Having been a Reserve Deputy back in the early to mid 90's in the state I know that most SO's were more apt to let you carry a rifle.
My Sheriff let me carry my Colt HBAR when I was in service.

JP

boomhower
06-19-11, 20:35
*** I seriously doubt it being it is a City PD. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
Having been a Reserve Deputy back in the early to mid 90's in the state I know that most SO's were more apt to let you carry a rifle.

JP

I work for a city PD and we are authorized to carry our own. We use 55gr Federal SP. Bad part is we have zero training. All you have to do is pass a simple qualification of 30 rounds. Other than me only one other carries his own.

mjkeat
06-19-11, 22:02
I'm glad you posted this, thank you. I saw it earlier this week on KAKE and was worried they'd end up w/ sub standard rifles. The Chief had said 36 rifles for 36K. Its nice to know our WPD will be better equipped.

mjkeat
06-19-11, 22:04

JP

To the best of my knowledge they were not able to use their own ARs. I believe they were confined to their sidearm and a shotgun.