PDA

View Full Version : Dawson Sights on M&P's

rjacobs
06-19-11, 10:36
Tried to do some searching and didnt come up with much.

I am contemplating putting a Dawson adjustable rear and FO front sight on my M&P I am building up for a range/comp/game gun.

Anybody run this setup on an M&P9FS? What are your thoughts? Is there a better sight setup for what I am looking to do?

My other option was going to be a fixed warren tactical rear with a FO front, but I think the adjustable Dawson's will be a better option.

SecretNY
06-19-11, 11:49
I have Dawsons on all three M&Ps, fiber fronts and 10-8 rears. Awesome setup for sure. I prefer solid rears like 10-8 or Warrens.

Good luck.

Magsz
06-19-11, 12:16
Tried to do some searching and didnt come up with much.

I am contemplating putting a Dawson adjustable rear and FO front sight on my M&P I am building up for a range/comp/game gun.

Anybody run this setup on an M&P9FS? What are your thoughts? Is there a better sight setup for what I am looking to do?

My other option was going to be a fixed warren tactical rear with a FO front, but I think the adjustable Dawson's will be a better option.

Adjustable rears are wonderful if you're playing with different loads all of the time. MOST people generally tend to pick their load and then adjust their front sight to work with their chosen rear. This way you never have to worry about screws coming loose, a rear sight losing its windage/elevation adjustment etc.

Dawson makes a great product and you will be very pleased with their front sights.

rjacobs
06-19-11, 12:35
Adjustable rears are wonderful if you're playing with different loads all of the time. MOST people generally tend to pick their load and then adjust their front sight to work with their chosen rear. This way you never have to worry about screws coming loose, a rear sight losing its windage/elevation adjustment etc.

Thats a good point. The load I run is 124g JHP Montana Gold tailored to my barrel and its a great load.

So if I went with a fixed rear is the Dawson fixed rear a good choice or should I go with a Warren fixed rear? I run Warren 3 dot night sights on my carry gun, but I think I want to go with black rear with the FO front on this gun. Just thinking rear sight profile between the two.

GLOCKMASTER
06-19-11, 13:27
Not on an M&P but, I run Dawson adjustables on most of my Glocks and I've never had an issue with any of the adjustment screws coming loose.

Magsz
06-19-11, 14:25
Not on an M&P but, I run Dawson adjustables on most of my Glocks and I've never had an issue with any of the adjustment screws coming loose.

Its an overblown issue/idea/theory but the simple fact is that it CAN happen when you dont need it to happen.

To the OP, no one can tell you what is going to work best with your eyes. Dawson makes a good product but you will have to choose your notch size, type of notch and other assorted features associated with rear sight selection yourself.

Best of luck brother!

rjacobs
06-19-11, 15:25
I guess I will give Dawson a call on Monday and discuss with them. I was thinking wide rear notch, but im honestly not sure. The only sights I have shot on these guns are factory white dots, factory trijicons, and the warren tactical 3 dot setup.

GLOCKMASTER
06-19-11, 15:30
Its an overblown issue/idea/theory but the simple fact is that it CAN happen when you dont need it to happen.

I said mine had never failed I didn't say it couldn't happen heck I've seen fixed sights move and have seen them fall off. But you're right it can happen and it's way overblown mostly by folks who have never used them. As with anything on a pistol it can fail at anytime.

VirginiaTactical
06-19-11, 17:48
I run m&p s, and I use warren fixed r ear and dawson f/o front. I picked dawson because they have serrated front sights. For speed its really easy to pick up that .40 fiber. Especially when that warren rear allows me to see more of my battle space due to the cuts on the sight. I also prefer the rounded edges of the inside of my warrens. This allows me to find that fiber front faster and not focus on sharp edges of traditional rear sights. Be aware that finding a correct front sight can be problematic if you are shooting reloads. I use a .195 front sight and my load is 124 cmj flying at 1100 fps. It is a nail driver on my mp and have no issues hitting 1/4 ipsc steel targets out to 80 yards point blank. I also carry and use 9L and not fs. I'm on my cell phone right now, and apoligize for typos.

M4Guru
06-19-11, 19:17
I see lots of Dawson adjustables on Glocks, I have them on 6 of mine. Never had an issue, nor have any of my buddies.

rjacobs
06-19-11, 22:20
Be aware that finding a correct front sight can be problematic if you are shooting reloads.

Thats why I am leaning towards the adjustable rear. Much easier than swapping front sights around all the time.

R Moran
06-19-11, 22:21
M4 beat me to it.

I have a set on one of my M&P's, tritium front not fiber, no issues.

All my long guns have adjustable sights, why shouldn't my short gun?

Bob

ilsrwy27
06-20-11, 02:17
I do not have them on a M&P but I will say that Dawson makes a great product and are a pleasure to deal with.

Magic_Salad0892
06-20-11, 03:53
A lot of instructors sing Dawson's praises.

I'm wanting to go to all 10-8 sights, plain rear, tritium front.