PDA

View Full Version : Cut down carry handles?

Crow Hunter
06-19-11, 14:35
What are the advantages of using a cut down carry handle for BUIS?

I remember reading somewhere that the A2 sight was considered inadequate because it wasn't as "durable" as the older A1 type sight and that the sights were made for target shooting, not combat. Is this typical gun shop rumor or based in fact?

Why would a person choose a cut down carry handle over a DD 1.5 or a Larue fixed BUIS with the A1 type windage adjustment?

School me.

warpigM-4
06-19-11, 14:55
I cut Mine down when i mounted a Aimpoint PRO .Main thing for me was it Is Cheap why pay a 100 bucks when you have the Piece right in front of you .I wanted a Fixed BUIS not a Folding .it is rock solid even after cutting it It was still Zeroed .

It was really Easy to do took Less than 30 minutes start to finish .

I have drop ,Bumped and dragged a A2 sight around and Never seen any problems with it.Not saying you couldn't have problems . I like the A2 Sight It has worked for years

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h86/PFC-JB/003-10.jpg

RD62
06-19-11, 15:23
The only time I would choose a cut carry handle was if I was in need of a fixed BUIS and I already had a suitable carry handle on hand.

I would not buy a carry handle just to cut.

one
06-27-11, 15:49
I've done it on one. If you're wanting a fixed BUIS and you have the handle laying around then it's a great option.

However, as RD62 said, I'd not purchase a handle with the intentions of cutting it. Especially since basically the exact same set up is available from LMT with their fixed sight.

From there you move into a mass of options from other quality companies. Any of which I'd feel comfortable to run on my guns.

ccosby
06-27-11, 16:03
The cut down sight gives you something for cheap if you took a carry handle off to put something like an aimpoint or eotech. It gives you the option of adjusting for elevation for longer range shots if needed.

Buying new I'd just buy the lmt rear sight(which I did for my mk18 style gun) or buy a quality fixed or flip up sight.

If you have some paint or better yea some aluminium black along with a few simple tools(dremel really helps) you can use your existing parts. Many people have carry handles sitting around from complete rifles.

OTO27
06-28-11, 00:27
to say that A2 sights are for target shooting and not much for combat is defenitely gunshop talk.