PDA

View Full Version : 1.1-4x variable optics

ruchik
06-19-11, 18:47
I wasn't able to find a complete and straight answer for my question regarding optics. I'm new to this whole field, and checked out the stickies in this thread. Lots of great info. Here's what I'm wondering though: for optics that are variable power, like a 1.1-4x, do they still have an eye relief at the lowest 1.1x setting? I.e., I still need to hold that scope away from my eye a certain distance? I like the ability of being able to adjust your power, but like the unlimited eye relief of red dot optics as well.

BooneGA
06-19-11, 18:55
Yes they require a certain positioning of your eye in order to use the optic even on 1 (or 1.1) power.

That is the very reason that I run a MRDS with all of my optics.

Rick

Crow Hunter
06-19-11, 20:08
It has been my experience with most of the "good" variable magnified optics that I have tried, the "eye relief" as I normally think of it(distance from the eye to the occular lense straight back on the stock) isn't really that noticeable. In other words, by the time I notice a narrowing down of the optic my cheek is practically on the butt plate.

What is noticable to me though is that the higher the magnification the tighter you have to be on your cheek weld to avoid losing the sight picture all together. That is where I notice the biggest difference between a RDS and a magnified optic.

When I had a TR24 at 1x I could get about 50 - 75% of the total head movement that I could with an Aimpoint M4. At 4x though, I could only move my head slightly and I would start seeing black.

With the RDS you can miss that cheek weld and still see the dot and the target. With the magnified optic, you miss by much and all you will see is black.

bp7178
06-19-11, 20:45
It's worth noting that the higher quality scopes are much more tolerant of head posistion. As the exit pupil narrows as you increase magnification, you will have to have a more exact head posistion.

I've noticed with the Aimpoint Micros, due to their small(er) tube, you can't be a mile off the stock and still have that east of use.

But, there is still an alignment that has to occur with either system.

To me, the low power scopes offer advantages, and like all things, some of these advantages cost you something.

BooneGA
06-19-11, 21:12
I found that even with both my Short Dot and Elcan when it came time for awkward shooting positions that didnt allow for a proper cheek weld that, although both were forgiving with head position and eye relief, it was near impossible to make quick hits.

With the added challenge of firing in full kit and M50 mask the 1-4s really suffered in comparison to my T1 or EOtech. A piggy back MRDS allows for EOTech like field of view in addition to easy targeting while in chem gear. You have to experiement with zeros due to the increased height over bore, but with a proper zero and range time at varying distances the MRDS is a huge asset that comes at a VERY slight weight addition.

Rick

Alaskapopo
06-20-11, 04:15
Yes they require a certain positioning of your eye in order to use the optic even on 1 (or 1.1) power.

That is the very reason that I run a MRDS with all of my optics.

Rick

Yes and no. On 1x you have a lot more wiggle room than you don on higher magnifications. Nearly as good as a RDS. Running a MRDS is a reduntant with a good 1-4 and while its not really bad its also a waste of time in my opinion.
Pat

ruchik
06-20-11, 09:34
I think I'm just going to stick with a traditional RDS. I'm not too keen on spending $2500 on an S&B optic to see if I like it or not. :sad:

Alaskapopo
06-20-11, 11:48
I think I'm just going to stick with a traditional RDS. I'm not too keen on spending $2500 on an S&B optic to see if I like it or not. :sad:

There are some good low priced low power variables like the Burris TAC30 for $300 (less than an Aimpoint or an Eotech)
Pat

BooneGA
06-20-11, 21:50
Yes and no. On 1x you have a lot more wiggle room than you don on higher magnifications. Nearly as good as a RDS. Running a MRDS is a reduntant with a good 1-4 and while its not really bad its also a waste of time in my opinion.
Pat

Not in my experience with the 1x4s Ive used in various roles overseas. Different tools for different missions.

Rick

bp7178
06-20-11, 22:39
I wouldn't want to try to cheek a 1-4x with a gas mask on. Just getting any type of a sight picture can be hard with a RDS if its mounted too low.

As much as people want to knock the ACOG with the MRDS on top, that is one of the uses I see that combination rocking.