PDA

View Full Version : Leupold HAMR?

msstate56
06-20-11, 01:05
Has anyone had a chance to try out the Leupold HAMR? I'm not sure they're even out yet. It looks like a solid optic, and I think the reticle is very well designed. I'm currently running a TA31H-G ACOG and an offset aimpoint H-1 on one of my rifles. It works, but I'm always looking for something better. The longer eye relief of the HAMR and the built in deltapoint seem like a good idea.

Would the integral deltapoint have the same issues as an ACOG with an RMR mounted on top? From some of the pics I've seen, it looks like the deltapoint may sit lower since it's designed into the HAMR.

I understand that the HAMR is new, so we don't know how it will hold up long term, but I'm interested in it nonetheless.

armakraut
06-20-11, 01:26
You can trade your TA31 for a TA11 or TA33.

Leupold must have thought that wanting to compete with Trijicon mainly meant pricing their junk the same as Trijicon. The HAMR is basically a $300-400 fixed power scope with a crappy illumination system and a $200 red dot slapped on top.

You can get a world class 1-4x optic for 1k too... mounted.

msstate56
06-20-11, 02:49
I agree, the HAMR does look kind of cheap. I was just curious if anyone has really used one yet. I agree that the TA11 is better than the TA31 (I used to have one, but I found I like the green reticle better, and the TA11 was red) but the 31 is what I have for now. I'm not entirely sold on the current 1-4 options. I've had a couple of TR24s and disliked the lack of holdover ability. I loved the daytime and lowlight visibility though. I like the ACOGs because of the bright daytime reticle, holdover ability, and solid durability. I can't find all those qualities in any of the current 1-4 offerings.

armakraut
06-20-11, 03:02
http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=7&f=23&t=856361

This would be the one to get.

msstate56
06-20-11, 03:40
http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=7&f=23&t=856361

This would be the one to get.

Thanks for the link, but I prefer the horseshoe dot reticle. That is my favorite out of the ones I've tried. I've used the horseshoe, chevron, and crosshair. In red, green and amber. The green is much brighter in low light/ darkness than the others.

CLHC
06-21-11, 22:09
Here's an initial impression of said optic:

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?2930-Impressions-of-Leupold-HAMR

Hope you find what you're looking for!

WARRIOR84
06-29-13, 22:22
I know this topic is old but is there any new info on these? I may have a hook up to get a good deal on one. Any info will help.

TehLlama
06-30-13, 00:22
I stand by my initial complaint in that thread you referenced.

Seeing now what Leupold is capable of when they put some time, thought, and effort into the glass and reticle (a Mk6 that I've had for 48 hours now), the comparison is not too rosy for the cheaper optic. I'd be happy with a fixed 3.5x with a CMR-W reticle and some better illumination as a good generic use optic, and allow some flexibility for side mounting the deltapoint (4 o'clock or 8 o'clock for a 45' offset), and they might have something that could command a $900 MSRP.

Compare it against a VX-6 and there just isn't one. They're within 8oz once mounted if my math is right, and the capability difference is simply night and day with the VX6 3-Gun doing everything the HAMR does with zoom left at 4x, and then it comes into it's own once you rotate the zoom ring... for prices that compare really unfavorably for the HAMR as far as I've seen.