PDA

View Full Version : Sight idea = 10-8 Rear + Glow in the dark paint = profit?

Magic_Salad0892
06-20-11, 04:05
I had the idea to take a 10-8 rear .140'' width rear sight, and get some of the Glow Inc. Ultra Green glow in the dark paint that Greg Bell mentioned in his FNX thread, and paint a thin strait line of it down the u-notch in the rear.

This would be like my version of the XS big dot sights, except it wouldn't suck ass. In theory. (For me.)

Here's what I'm looking for.

Tips on how to apply the paint to the rear thinly, and evenly, without messing anything up, and/or anybody who's done something similar before.

Thanks, guys.

And thanks to Greg for making me think of it.

QuickStrike
06-20-11, 06:31
You could try cutting the desired stripe/line size on a piece of tape with an exacto knife + ruler, then put the tape on the sight and paint over?

Sounds like a neat idea, please feel free to post "glow in the dark" pics when you finish!

Magic_Salad0892
06-20-11, 06:58
You could try cutting the desired stripe/line size on a piece of tape with an exacto knife + ruler, then put the tape on the sight and paint over?

Sounds like a neat idea, please feel free to post "glow in the dark" pics when you finish!

I don't own a camera, but I'll see if I can borrow a friend's camera phone at some point.

Using a ruler, I know you're not going to be able to give me an exact answer, nor do I think anybody can, but do you think .09'' would be a good width? It would run all the way down the center of the u-notch, from top to bottom.

The u-notch is .140'' wide, by the way.

tb-av
06-20-11, 07:47
If you want to mask off something... Frisket might work a lot better than ordinary tape.

http://www.grafixarts.com/product/Frisket_Film

You can get it at most art supply stores.

Magic_Salad0892
06-20-11, 08:32
Thanks, that actually looks pretty good.

Better than the masking tape I was planning on.