PDA

View Full Version : How small is too small?

Sry0fcr
06-20-11, 08:48
When it comes to your handgun's grip? A large part of the reason that I switched platforms from Glock to M&P was the ergonomics/changeable backstraps. I have small hands "for a dude" and I immediately gravitated to the small backstrap and I can get a solid one handed grip which feels secure, but there's not much room for my support hand to actually get contact on the gun. I was re-watching my Art of Dynamic Handgun last night and began to wonder if my choice of backstrap was the best option or if I would benefit from having a larger grip where I can get both hands enough contact on the gun for better control.

Magic_Salad0892
06-20-11, 08:56
I need to be able to naturally get the rear of the slide facing in a straight line with the webbing of my hand, and in that position have the first pad of my index finger rest on the trigger face.

Most guns do this for me, being that most guns now-a-days have adjustable backstraps.

Sry0fcr
06-20-11, 08:57
I just remembered reading a thread on the subject, I searched and found it.

Here (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=57273)

and Here (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=55222)

This thread as created specifically for my issue probably doesn't need to exist, but I can't delete it...

Sry0fcr
06-20-11, 09:01
I need to be able to naturally get the rear of the slide facing in a straight line with the webbing of my hand, and in that position have the first pad of my index finger rest on the trigger face.

Most guns do this for me, being that most guns now-a-days have adjustable backstraps.

You know I think one of my problems is that I'm getting too much finger on the trigger. Perhaps this backstrap is too small?

ralph
06-20-11, 09:11
You know I think one of my problems is that I'm getting too much finger on the trigger. Perhaps this backstrap is too small?

There's only one way to find out...Go to the range with a bunch of ammo AND all the backstraps,Try all of the backstraps. Quite often you'll find that the backstrap that feels good at the kicthen table, is'nt the one you'll shoot best with.Only live fire at the range will tell. I did this with my mid size.45, and my FS9, I ended up using the medium backstrap on both.

tb-av
06-20-11, 09:15
I had the small back strap on my PPS thinking that fit my hands best. Turned out it prevented me from releasing the magazines properly.

Installed the larger back strap.

Went back to range and not only shot better but mags now drop free like they are supposed to and to be honest until I read this thread, I had forgotten I even switched it out.

I think the small back straps perhaps are for much smaller hands like petite women maybe.

What does not work well for me are wide grips.

Medium size work gloves fit my hands.

Beat Trash
06-20-11, 13:12
I've been shooting the M&P9 since being issued one in the spring of 2006. The grips can be deceiving.

I have medium size hands with longer fingers. To me, the Medium size grips feel great, until I shoot the gun. With the medium grips, I can get too much finger on the trigger, and when drawn from a holster and pointed on target, the gun will not always be aligned properly.

I found that by going up to the large grips, all of these issues disappear.

Over the years, I've found that what may feel great in the gun store, may not feel the same on the range.

To the OP, I'd take the medium grips with you the next time you shoot. Take the pin out of the back of the grip and set aside (you can shoot the gun without it installed, for a short period). I'd shoot a magazine or two through your gun using each grip.

I personally want as much of both hands on the grips. This aids me in controlling the gun. But we all have different size hands. THis is one reasons why the design of the M&P is so popular.

The only way to really answer you initial question is to go to the range and experiment.