PDA

View Full Version : Hornady .223 "Training" Ammo

ZGXtreme
10-18-07, 23:48
Hello, I have searched this forum in addition to Google and TOS and located no information.

Once it becomes available in 02/08, I was considering Hornady's .223 Training ammo. My question is... I am still not convinced enough to use Wolf in my Colt. The Hornady stuff is *"quality zinc-coated (not lacquer-coated) steel cases."

Does anyone have any experience with this ammo? I have to think that a manufacturer such as Hornady would not market steel ammo unless it had engineered it to work well in our rifles; but I want some imput from members here since this is one of the few forums I feel I can get educated answers.

Thanks.

* description quoted from Hornady's L.E. website

mpardun
10-19-07, 01:25
Grant at G&R Tactical has some in stock (ang 75grain to boot)! Still burning off 2 cases of BH remanufactured 75 grain - plan to try soon.

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=TAP75P&reference=/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi%3Fsearch%3Daction%26keywords%3Dammo%26searchstart%3D0%26template%3DPDGCommTemplates/FullNav/SearchResult.html

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Hornady/75gr%20TAP%20BOX.jpg

C4IGrant
10-19-07, 09:01
Hello, I have searched this forum in addition to Google and TOS and located no information.

Once it becomes available in 02/08, I was considering Hornady's .223 Training ammo. My question is... I am still not convinced enough to use Wolf in my Colt. The Hornady stuff is *"quality zinc-coated (not lacquer-coated) steel cases."

Does anyone have any experience with this ammo? I have to think that a manufacturer such as Hornady would not market steel ammo unless it had engineered it to work well in our rifles; but I want some imput from members here since this is one of the few forums I feel I can get educated answers.

Thanks.

* description quoted from Hornady's L.E. website

We stock and shoot this ammo. The first TAP training ammo was zinc coated, but the new stuff has a lacquer finish on it. This finish is NOTHING LIKE WHAT WOLF uses.

I would not be concerned about shooting this ammo in a chrome lined barrel. The worse thing that can happen is that your extractor wears out. This is a $3 dollar item.

C4

ZGXtreme
10-19-07, 09:28
Thanks, think I will get it a try. Will bve nice to practice with ammo that matches my duty ammo.

Shihan
10-19-07, 23:57
Do you think that the harder steel cases could excelerate throat errosion?

C4IGrant
10-20-07, 12:42
Do you think that the harder steel cases could excelerate throat errosion?

On a chrome lined barrel? No.

C4

MBRMan
10-25-07, 04:21
If you talk to Hornady, I'm sure they will tell you their cases come from Barnaul in Russia, in which case the coating (laquer) is pretty much exactly what Wolf uses.

MBR

C4IGrant
10-25-07, 08:09
If you talk to Hornady, I'm sure they will tell you their cases come from Barnaul in Russia, in which case the coating (laquer) is pretty much exactly what Wolf uses.

MBR

The zinc coated cases did come from Barnaul, but they led me to believe that their new cases are done in house.

The lacquer cases that they are using are like nothing I have seen from an eastern block country.

C4

ddemis
10-27-07, 01:33
I fired 1000 rounds of Wolf steel case zinc coated 62 and 55 gr. ammo through my RRa and it functioned fine except for one little problem, the extractor snaped the rim off several cases! The end result was a exspensive club untill the cases were punched out with a cleaning rod. I hope Hornady's steel cases are made with stronger steel than wolf. Any one ever have similar Experiences with Wolf.

ST911
10-27-07, 11:20
I fired 1000 rounds of Wolf steel case zinc coated 62 and 55 gr. ammo through my RRa and it functioned fine except for one little problem, the extractor snaped the rim off several cases! The end result was a exspensive club untill the cases were punched out with a cleaning rod. I hope Hornady's steel cases are made with stronger steel than wolf. Any one ever have similar Experiences with Wolf.

Yes, perfect outlines of the extractor hook.

Colt6920
10-30-07, 17:59

MBR

Great... HornyWolf:rolleyes:

Jason Weekley
10-31-07, 19:40
The Ohio State Highway Patrol swat team had serious problems with the 55 grain TAP practice ammo. When I attended thier special response team course they said that the practice ammo damaged thier rifles exact words were the TAP practice ammo blew up three of our rifles. When Honaday was contacted about the problem. they immediately sent OSP swat a drop shippment of 55 grain TAP duty ammo.I cant remember the exact number of ammo that was replaced but it was in the thousands

Failure2Stop
11-01-07, 04:34
The Ohio State Highway Patrol swat team had serious problems with the 55 grain TAP practice ammo. When I attended thier special response team course they said that the practice ammo damaged thier rifles exact words were the TAP practice ammo blew up three of our rifles. When Honaday was contacted about the problem. they immediately sent OSP swat a drop shippment of 55 grain TAP duty ammo.I cant remember the exact number of ammo that was replaced but it was in the thousands

How did we not hear about this? THREE KBs, all ammunition attritibutable:eek: ?

Any photos or documentation? Please do not take this as doubt of your credability, I would just like to see what happened.

C4IGrant
11-01-07, 08:03

Interesting that this is your first post.

I have never heard of a single "kaboom" with any Hornady ammo as they pride themselves on quality.

C4

ST911
11-01-07, 10:14
How did we not hear about this? THREE KBs, all ammunition attritibutable:eek: ?

Not specific to Hornady, but there are bunches of things you'll never hear about, if no one on the line is inclined to broadcast their occurence in the public venues.

Failure2Stop
11-01-07, 11:17
Not specific to Hornady, but there are bunches of things you'll never hear about, if no one on the line is inclined to broadcast their occurence in the public venues.

Wow, I was unaware that Ohio State SWAT is Tier 1, TS/SCI.:p

Just kidding, don't get mad.:mad:

Agreed, things can happen that never make it to public knowledge, but considering the people that are members here and at ARFCOM and other more exclusive places like 10-8 or the TriCon/EAG Alumni Forum, I kinda thought that someone would have said something, even if only a warning to their friends and coworkers.

But anything is possible. Just hoping for some kind of verification.

hatt
11-01-07, 15:35
I think I would have surely stopped using the ammo after the second KB (assuming this story has a factual basis.)

Jason Weekley
11-05-07, 22:55
I wasn't present when the kabooms occurred. Just repeating what a member of the osp srt said.
I almost forgot THIS MAKES MY SECOND POST

LSP972
11-09-07, 06:29

Exactly so.

My new agency (I recently retired, and hired on with a local sheriff's office as a range monkey) had a bad lot of Blazer .45 ammunition a few years back. No guns were damaged, but the ammo was useless for training and was a colossal PITA the get exchanged.

Then there were the 70+ Sig P226R frames that were mis-machined and had to be sent back; once Sig finally responded , acknowledged the problem, and got their collective asses out of low gear.

We're not talking about some podunk Mayberry RFD agency; this is a large sheriff's office with almost 800 sworn deputies.

I could go on, but the point is that there are PLENTY of problems out there that never see the light of public dissemination.

Sometimes, folks on these boards seem to forget that most of the guys on the pointy end of the stick don't have time (nor the interest) to participate in internet forums...