PDA

View Full Version : My Blown Up Rifle

Jesse Tischauser
06-20-11, 15:58
After about round number 20 of a two day rifle class with Red Neck Tactical's Kurt Miller I had a round fail to fire during a drill. I thought maybe I ran out of ammo and the bolt didn't lock back. So I changed mags rapidly and racked a fresh round into the chamber. That next trigger pull was one I will never forget! :surprise:

I heard a big BANG and felt a huge POOF of air in my face. I instantly closed my eyes and tossed the rifle away from me. I suffered two tiny cuts on my face. My right eye was a little irritated but not as irritated as both eyes were the next day from dust in 25-30 mph winds. The shooter next to me took a piece or three of debris in the right arm and back which drew a little blood but neither of us was injured seriously thankfully.

The scope and mount still were still attached to the picatinny rail and were blown about 5-8 feet forward. The upper is completely destroyed. I should be able to save the hand guard but I will need a new barrel nut and collar. The comp and gas block should be OK too. Surprisingly the lower receiver is still in good shape despite the mag being destroyed when it was blown out the gun. My scope and mount appear to be OK as well.

After talking to the rifle manufacturer we think what happened was the round that didn't go off had a damaged case neck (as well as some reason why it didn't fire) which caused the bullet to get pulled out of the case and stuck in the chamber. I racked in a fresh round and it chambered but the bullet that was left in the chamber pushed the new bullet down into the casing causing a BIG problem when I pulled the trigger.

Lessons learned...ALWAYS WEAR YOUR RUDY PROJECT GLASSES WHEN SHOOTING and ALWAYS DOUBLE/TRIPLE CHECK YOUR RELOADS.

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt219/jtischauser/JP%20Enterprises/P6181276x.jpg
http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt219/jtischauser/JP%20Enterprises/IMG_0986.jpg
http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt219/jtischauser/JP%20Enterprises/IMG_0985.jpg
http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt219/jtischauser/JP%20Enterprises/IMG_0982.jpg
http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt219/jtischauser/JP%20Enterprises/IMG_0983.jpg

bubba04
06-20-11, 16:02
Glad to hear you are ok!

What ammo were you shooting or where they reloads?

Brennan
06-20-11, 16:05
:sad: Poor rifle
Glad to hear you're okay though!

C-grunt
06-20-11, 16:12
Wow. Glad you are OK.

Detmongo
06-20-11, 16:14
Holy crap glad you guys are ok.

SteveL
06-20-11, 16:16
Glad you're Ok, but I'm sorry to hear about your rifle.

Jesse Tischauser
06-20-11, 16:21
I was shooting some Scharch/Top brass preprimed brass with Montana Gold bullets over 25 grains of Accurate Arms 2460. I am not sure what primers where in that preprimed brass. I think I still have some left from that batch and they drop a note in there as to what primers they are using.

MistWolf
06-20-11, 16:24
From reading your description, my guess is that the first round had no powder and the primer drove the bullet into the rifling. The stuck bullet caused the catastrophic rise in pressure.

Glad to hear no one got hurt

13MPG
06-20-11, 16:25
THAT is not going to buff out.

Glad everyone is ok!! A new rifle is easy to come by. An eye or hand not so much. The pic of the optic/mount still attached to the rail is wild.

Jesse Tischauser
06-20-11, 16:53
From reading your description, my guess is that the first round had no powder and the primer drove the bullet into the rifling. The stuck bullet caused the catastrophic rise in pressure.

I would have blamed that or a sqib myself except taht I weighed every round to make sure I had powder in them all. I have only made about 1000 rounds of .223. Since I am a newbie to reloading is also why I am useing the preprepped and primed brass.

I never heard a primer or anything just a click like I was dry firing.

MistWolf
06-20-11, 17:11
You won't hear anything with just a primer & bullet, except maybe an easily missed sort of a hollow bloop. You won't feel anything either. Nothing else could seat the bullet deep enough in the rifling that it would let the second round chamber without a problem

Jesse Tischauser
06-20-11, 17:17
You won't hear anything with just a primer & bullet, except maybe an easily missed sort of a hollow bloop. You won't feel anything either. Nothing else could seat the bullet deep enough in the rifling that it would let the second round chamber without a problem

What about a bad crimp or a cracked case neck maybe?

Keesh
06-20-11, 18:55

I've tested rounds with no powder and the primer does not have enough power to move the bullet even with no roll crimp. I have tired SR and SRM primers as well as 55gr to 75gr bullets, no combination I found would move the bullet, much less seat it into the lands.

slomo
06-20-11, 19:04
Don't know about .223 but I've had primer only 9mm stick in the barrel.
I'd guess that a cracked case neck would still obturate the chamber and send the bullet.

browneu
06-20-11, 19:09
From the picture it looks like the lower survived. Are you able to salvage the lower?

Glad you're OK.

SGB
06-20-11, 19:21
Oouch :sad:

MistWolf
06-20-11, 19:28
I've tested rounds with no powder and the primer does not have enough power to move the bullet even with no roll crimp. I have tired SR and SRM primers as well as 55gr to 75gr bullets, no combination I found would move the bullet, much less seat it into the lands.

Interesting. I've had pistol bullets driven into the rifling and witnessed a 150 gr 30-06 bullet driven into the rifling with just a primer. In the case of the '06, a bullet was pulled from another cartridge and a small wad of TP placed in the neck to keep the powder from spilling out. The cartridge was placed in the chamber and used to fire out the stuck bullet. Not sure I would recommend that method though, I only saw it done once.

I have never run tests with just bullets & primers, however.

What about a bad crimp or a cracked case neck maybe?

If you're referring to a situation where there is insufficient pressure to shoot the bullet out the barrel, you are correct. A bad crimp by itself wouldn't do that. I personally have never have had a cracked neck result in a bullet getting stuck in the barrel

However, a more likely scenario is an undercharge, with just enough oomph to move the bullet partway down the barrel, or even contaminated powder

El Pistolero
06-20-11, 19:43
And this is why I don't shoot reloads, mine or anyone else's. Not bashing reloading or those that do it, I just choose not to because people make mistakes and I don't want the chance to screw something up.

Glad you are okay OP, it can happen to anybody. I've had two kabooms, both in the same rifle, so I know not to shoot crap ammo anymore. Luckily the rifle is still 100% after both incidents. I'm thankful for eye pro and that I'm ok as well.

duece71
06-20-11, 20:34
Cripes amighty!! Glad to see no one was hurt. NO more reloads for you eh?? It could have been a lot worse.

Backstop
06-20-11, 21:12
Wow - glad there were no serious injuries.

...I had a round fail to fire during a drill. I thought maybe I ran out of ammo and the bolt didn't lock back. So I changed mags rapidly and racked a fresh round into the chamber.

When you racked, did a case eject?

And if so, did you examine it?

I've never reloaded for 5.56/.223, but have for .45 probably for a total of 15 yrs.

And only had a problem twice - forget to put the powder in. And both times, the primer was not strong enough for the bullet to leave the case. And both times, I heard and felt that something was not quite right. I have the last one around here somewhere - to remind me.

I had a squib with WWB 115gr FMJ 9mm at a class. Gun fired, it sounded normal, slide moved, picked up a new round, but the slide didn't go into battery, so I TRBed. Slide still didn't go into battery with the new round, so I hit the back of the slide - and it still didn't go into battery.

Rut roh.

Dumped the mag, removed the slide, and looked in the barrel. The bullet went into the barral just far enough that it prevented the next round from completely chambering.

Good ****ing thing, as it would've blown up in my hand.

Backstop
06-20-11, 21:15
I never heard a primer or anything just a click like I was dry firing.

Some electronic headsets will clip the primer sound out.

I was using ProEars (IIRC the name) when I had one of my .45 with no powder, and for the life of me I though it was a hang fire.

The bullet left the case just enough that I couldn't lock the slide back and/or eject the round.

And I thought it still was a live round...because I didn't hear the primer go off.

PdxMotoxer
06-20-11, 22:17
Soon as i seen it i was thinking damn.. i'm glad eveyone is OK
and then it looked like a squib (but i wasn't there so could be cracked case or a couple variables... the one thing for certain is that it isn't your time yet my friend.

Glad no one was seriously hurt.

indawire
06-20-11, 22:52
Well at the least you've got a great story to tell. Not many of us can dodge the bullet and get away with it. Glad your all OK, that AR is a mess.

Keesh
06-20-11, 23:07
Interesting. I've had pistol bullets driven into the rifling and witnessed a 150 gr 30-06 bullet driven into the rifling with just a primer. In the case of the '06, a bullet was pulled from another cartridge and a small wad of TP placed in the neck to keep the powder from spilling out. The cartridge was placed in the chamber and used to fire out the stuck bullet. Not sure I would recommend that method though, I only saw it done once.

I have never run tests with just bullets & primers, however.

I've had primer only squibs with pistol loads too, in handguns and subguns but never in an AR. I'd be curious to know if the addition of powder in a 223 case lowers the case volume enough to cause the bullet to jump into the rifling.

mike_556
06-20-11, 23:26
Sorry to hear about that-and glad y'all are OK-but it looks like you've learned a valuable lesson. I personally load .223 on a single stage and verify that there's a consistent powder charge in EACH case before I move on to seating a bullet. I also have never crimped for that round and never needed to. IF EVER I pull the trigger and nothing happens--I wait a bit in case of a hangfire, then crack the upper and pull the BCG and verify that the barrel is clear! I'm sure you will certainly do that from now on. I've surpassed 15k handloaded .223 with no problems, but again, I take extra care to QC everything before they get loaded onto strippers or mags.

Don't let it discourage you, and be doubly careful when handloading.

mike_556
06-20-11, 23:27
I've had primer only squibs with pistol loads too, in handguns and subguns but never in an AR. I'd be curious to know if the addition of powder in a 223 case lowers the case volume enough to cause the bullet to jump into the rifling.

I have had some compressed loads before and have not had any issues......yet.

m1a_scoutguy
06-21-11, 00:04
I was shooting some Scharch/Top brass preprimed brass with Montana Gold bullets over 25 grains of Accurate Arms 2460. I am not sure what primers where in that preprimed brass. I think I still have some left from that batch and they drop a note in there as to what primers they are using.

WOW,,that stinks big time !!!! Glad ya got aways with only a scratch !! Last I knew,,they were using CCI Primers,I didn't see it posted on there Website when I just looked,,but I know thats what they use to use ! Interesting choice for Powder,,although I do see it Listed for 223,,,what bullet were you using ? Looking at the Data,,,it depends on what Bullet you were using,,25 Grains could of been a MAX Load,,if everything eles isn't correct,,,,that could leed to trouble !! I hope ya get everything back together OK,,,& again,,glad your OK !! I would double check all your rounds and go from there & depending on your Bullet,,I mite back down a Grain or 2 !!! Let us know how ya make out !!
Load Data,, http://www.accuratepowder.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/accurate_load_data_3.5.pdf

GunnutAF
06-21-11, 00:07
Yep bet it was a squib load! Classic bullet in barrel blow up! Glad no one was hurt! This is a draw back on failure drills- it's not about how fast you get back to shooting- you must ensure you do it safely! Leave the speed failure drills for combat!:rolleyes:

Sanpete
06-21-11, 00:09
Yikes.
I had something similar happen once, though not nearly as bad. Only lost an extractor and mag. I don't shoot reloads anymore.

M4Fundi
06-21-11, 00:23
God Bless, wow, glad you're OK!

jdizzle921
06-21-11, 01:46
Glad your ok dude.

Did the receiver notch shear clean off when the upper broke away? Pics look like it's missing.

scouts out
06-21-11, 04:24
JEEBUS!!!!!! That really sucks but like many have said glad you and your buddies are OK.

ReaperAZ
06-21-11, 10:39
Glad no serious injuries were incurred!

cochraneap
06-21-11, 15:01
geeze

Fr3EK
06-21-11, 15:47
It's good you are ok man. I know I would have to change my pants if that happened to me lol

SVDragunov7.62
06-21-11, 20:28
sounds like the "pop and no kick" drill sergeants brief you on before going to the range in basic. yeah I bet youll pull the charging handle back and observe next time you have a similar experience.

Tyxxvxl
06-21-11, 20:30
WOW, that sucks!
Glad everyone's ok.
I had a squib round in my 9mm. Left a bullet in the barrel
and I fired off the next round. Boom! Luckily the barrel
didn't explode. Just buldged it out really bad and smacked
my hands pretty good. Needless to say Remington paid for
FNH to put in a new barrel and fix my gun.
Now if I feel even the smallest strange feeling I stop and
check the barrel. Kinda hard in your case when your running a training class though.
Ty

Suwannee Tim
06-21-11, 20:43
Rut roh.

Dumped the mag, removed the slide, and looked in the barrel. The bullet went into the barral just far enough that it prevented the next round from completely chambering.

Good ****ing thing, as it would've blown up in my hand.

Same thing happened ( I say "happened" because it sounds better than "I did this same dumb-ass thing myself" )

No bang, rack in another, still no bang, oh, slide's not in battery, wonder why? Maybe no powder in the last cartridge. Now, whenever I have a malfunction of any kind, I STOP. Figure out what happened and mystery being solved, proceed. This violates the "fight how you train and train how you fight" dictum but I'm a lot more likely to blow up a gun on the range than loose a gunfight because I stopped fighting to solve a malfunction mystery.

This goes quadruple for reloaded ammo.

maxwell600
06-22-11, 16:09
Ugh that sucks man

Turnkey11
06-22-11, 16:30
Hell of a way to make a BCG cutaway model.