PDA

View Full Version : Neck sizing--are periodic full re-sizes needed?

Cproflow
06-20-11, 16:06
Hi,

I've been reloading my fire-formed, neck re-sized .223 for my new Tikka...with good results. I'm on load #6, and things look good, so I'm pressing forward.

I have not experienced any stiff feeds, or trouble getting the bolt closed, or difficult extractions to date.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that despite this, cases that are only neck-sized need periodic full-sizing. I think the reason was to prevent all the issues listed above. As mentioned, I don't have those issues...yet.

Is this true? Should I rotate in a periodic full-resize--like every 5th re-load?

I guess I don't understand why you would want to undo all that 'custom chamber fitting' granted by fire forming and neck sizing?

Thanks for any helpful insights!

JStor
06-20-11, 20:18
I would continue neck sizing until you notice more difficult bolt closing. Also, you could get a body die that would allow bumping the shoulder back and would resize only the main body of the cartridge case.

jmart
06-20-11, 20:24
I'd get a Hornady HS guage (formerly Stoney Point) and adjust your FL resizer to bump the shoulder just .002 - .003". Don't adjust for firm shellholder contact, which often pushes the shoulder back more than needed.

Use your NS die until you notice chambering or extraction difficulty. Then hit the cases with your FL resizer adjusted as described above.

This will work fine for bolt guns. For AR's, it's FL resize every time, and adjust die to bump shulder another .001- .002" shorter.

Stump70
06-20-11, 21:23
From what I understand you get better accuracy and longevity by neck sizing.
Lee Loaders neck size and make for a handy field reloader.