PDA

View Full Version : Irritating hydration leak

yellowfin
06-20-11, 16:33
I recently took the plunge and got an Army surplus hydration system (Camelbak) with a brand new 3L hydration bladder. It does everything I want except one thing: totally contain the water. Strange thing is it only leaks occasionally, only out the top, and only when I have it in the carrier--it won't leak when I take the bladder out and check for leaks, holding it upside down, drinking from it, etc. yet when I put it back in the carrier and take it outside to use it my back is soaked. What the heck is happening and what can I do to make it stop?

ST911
06-20-11, 16:52
Which reservoir did you get, the small mouth with the ~2" screw top lid, or the larger mouth Omega? The former can be quirky in getting the lid on straight and tight, and leak under stress. The latter can develop small, barely discernible tears around the internal plastic lid that surrounds the mouth, especially if you grip it while tightening the lid.

yellowfin
06-20-11, 17:36
The screw cap says Skilcraft and just barely fits through the hole so I guess that makes it the larger size.

ST911
06-20-11, 19:50
Is it a genuine Camelbak bladder?

Junglist
06-20-11, 20:10
Skilcraft makes a ton of government supplies.

Dave_M
06-20-11, 23:07
I won't go back to Camelbak. I broke a half-dozen of them. Invariably they developed a leak right where the hose attached and nothing I did fixed the problem. I'd be out on a patrol and have the bottom half of myself and the bottom of my ruck soaked through.

I switched to Source bladders several years ago and haven't had the problem and also haven't looked back.

peruna
06-21-11, 14:56
I switched to Source bladders several years ago and haven't had the problem and also haven't looked back.

+1 on Source. I've also heard good things about Platypus but haven't used personally.

Belmont31R
06-21-11, 15:39
Those skilcraft things are complete pieces of shit. Literally. They issued them to us at RFI and most of them leaked. Guys would be walking around with soaked backs. Maybe a good thing when its 110+ but doesn't help when you need to drink.

Ive personally had good luck with CB bladders but you have to keep them clean, and don't do stupid shit like put gatorade powder in them. If you do have a leak contact the company, and get a new one.

That said I prefer bottles.

ST911
06-21-11, 16:23
I don't have as many Source bladders as Camelbak, but they do appear to be GTG. The Source design lacks some of those features which can produce problems in the Camelbak.

prc77
07-07-11, 22:03
Source bladders
do you prefer one model over the other. 70 or 100 .oz
this will be used with a OSOE carrier

Iraq Ninja
07-08-11, 08:46
I too like Source, but have one that has started to delaminate, resulting in a few air pockets the size of a dime. It doesn't leak, but has me worried.

Water seems to taste better from the Source too.

SteveL
07-08-11, 17:21
So does Skilcraft make all the bladders for CamelBak or does CamelBak make their own?

osiris32
07-08-11, 18:28
My dad has a Platypus and he has never had a problem in the 3+ years he has owned it. He uses it probably every other weekend on hiking trips. They are also very easy to find parts for.

Pax
07-08-11, 22:16
Ive had good experiences with MSR bladders so long as we're offering up manufacturers.

Junglist
07-08-11, 23:39
So does Skilcraft make all the bladders for CamelBak or does CamelBak make their own?

Camelbak makes their own bladders.

SteveL
07-09-11, 06:25
Camelbak makes their own bladders.

Thanks.