PDA

View Full Version : Savage quality and reputation

asme
06-21-11, 06:33
The Ruger GSR coming out in left-handed has sort of re-ignited my casual browsing for a quality left-handed bolt action rifle. I saw that Savage produces quite a few of their models in left-hand (relatively speaking) at a generally lower price than its competitors.

What's the general opinion of Savage centerfire rifles around here? Are they worth considering?

Sensei
06-21-11, 09:18
Savage makes a decent entry level gun. It meets the basic requirements of a factory bolt gun and is a acceptable first step in the market.

titsonritz
06-21-11, 11:16
Savage makes an excellent production rifle.

I have three suggestions:

1. Use the search function in this forum using key words “Savage” and “Left-hand”.

2. Consider sticking with a right-handed action (the above search will show threads on the this subject)

3. Consider the .260 Remington caliber.

arizona98tj
06-25-11, 19:37
The nice thing about a Savage is that the owner can easily change out the barrel.....which I guess then would get you into the intermediate level rifle category.

I'm still working on loads for my Savage 10 FCP HS Precision I picked up earlier this year. The best 100 yard group to date (without tweaking the load or components, other than powder) is:

http://www.stu-offroad.com/temp/savage-6.jpg

For my purposes, these Savage rifles are more than accurate enough.

ucrt
06-25-11, 21:36

There's an old guy that volunteers to run the sheriff's Office range when it is open to the public twice a month. He runs the 300 yards range, He's a crabby old guy but says that he sees more out-of-the-box accurate Savages than any other rifle...period...hands down without a doubt.

He prefers Rem 700's but he says over the years that the Savages have been improving by the year to where they are the most consistently accurate rifle out of the box.

Not how long they hold up...that is another question.

Just one opinion though...

orkan
06-26-11, 15:35
With machining tolerances available in the modern CNC equipment, it is no wonder that so many other companies have learned to make an accurate out-of-the-box rifle.

Remington was first. Why? Because they were large enough to buy the best equipment before everyone else.

A production rifle is just that. However in recent years the machining quality has gone up, while the material quality being used has gone down. You suppose the profit margin has gone up or down?

My point is that I would expect all manufacturers to be able to put out a sub-moa production rifle at some point. The rate at which they grow these days is largely determined by the aftermarket following, giving the user the ability to get precisely what they want. Hence the reason for the black rifle explosion about 10 years ago.

This puts remington on top. Nothing savage, howa, winchester, or any other company does will change that. It's simply a perception that is proven true even if it is not justified. There are more aftermarket options and more gunsmiths familiar with the rem700 platform than any other on this earth. It will take a lot, and I mean a LOT of time for that to change... if it ever does.

That being said, I see no reason for it to change. You can go get a rem700 sps in just about any configuration you could desire, and are virtually guaranteed a sub-moa gun out of the box for a price of around $550-$650. When you are done buying it... you'll have a remington 700.

No matter the price or configuration you buy a savage, you still will not have a remington. Some are fine with this. I am not. However that is purely user preference. Every time I cycle a savage, I feel dirty.

sinjinhawk
06-28-11, 23:14
If you do real research on Savage Rifle you will find that you will find that rifle are very good quality and respected with the hunting community.

orkan
06-29-11, 11:49
If you do real research on Savage Rifle you will find that you will find that rifle are very good quality and respected with the hunting community.

Interesting blanket statement. I'm sure I could make similar claims for nearly every manufacturer out there.

That said, this isn't the hunting forum. This is the precision rifle forum. The standards that tactical (precision) shooters hold their rifles and equipment to are much different (higher) than the majority of hunters.

Icculus
06-29-11, 12:01
That said, this isn't the hunting forum. This is the precision rifle forum. The standards that tactical (precision) shooters hold their rifles and equipment to are much different (higher) than the majority of hunters.

That's fairly vague. Not calling you on the carpet, just more looking for clarification. Perhaps a topic for a different thread but where is the cutoff? If it shoots groups larger than .5 MOA does it cease to be a tactical/precision rifle? Larger than 1 MOA? Where's the cutoff or what are the requirements behind "this is a precision rifle and that's not" type statements?

orkan
06-29-11, 12:09
The "cut-off" as you call it, is different for everyone. Like hot and cold, acceptable accuracy is in the eye of the beholder. That was the point behind my statement.

To say something is acceptable for hunting is not the same as saying it is acceptable for precision rifle work.

For most hunters, they'll be happy with a couple inches at 100yds. For most precision shooters, they aren't happy unless its sub-moa at distance.

Understand what I meant now? The correlation of "savage must be good because if you ask the hunting community they'll say so" doesn't pertain to discussions taking place in this section of the forums.

Icculus
06-29-11, 12:30
Yes I understand what you meant. And again, not looking to be argumentative, just looking for additional info. I guess my point was that if there are no standards, measurements, qualifications and specifications, etc. set for what qualifies as a precision rifle and accuracy is in the eye of the beholder then one man's hunting rifle may be another man's precision rifle. How is one to know what the "standards that tactical (precision) shooters hold their rifle to" are and what qualifies and what doesn't (and by extension what is appropriate to discuss in this forum) if those standards are not defined.

Guess I've drifted a long way from the Savage and it's quality discussion, apologies.

orkan
06-29-11, 12:41
It's not that hard to grasp what I'm saying. Go into your local cabelas or bass pro shop and ask some of the people in the guns section what they think an accurate rifle is.

I don't think I'm talking out of turn to say that most here in this section of the forum agree that sub-moa is a "precision rifle" and anything over that likely is not.

BIGUGLY
06-30-11, 16:17
Just a thought, you could look on snipershide or snipercentral. Not to say our members are not well versed in this type of weapons but you will find a lot of information regarding Savage.

Overall they really are a good rifle and company, many folks get outstanding accuracy from a bone stock rifle.

cheaptrick
06-30-11, 18:11
As another lefty shooter, I'd suggest buying a base model LH Savage rifle and getting a quality after market stock for it

The Savage barrels are good to go, but even their new Accu-stocks, like whats on their LE models, are an improvement over the old ones, but still aren't all that great, IMO.

zacii
06-30-11, 19:24
I have a Stevens 200 in .223, with a cheap Simmons scope. It's the cheapest model that Savage makes.

It shoots clover leaf, sub MOA groups, as long as I do my part.

SOTIC1993
07-04-11, 07:12
Savage is a great rifle, thought recently Bagara Barrels has come out with a barrel nut and barrel for Remington Savage is still the easiest for home gunsmiths to change out barrels and calibers. one of the main reasons I see the military has not looked at savage is to to the bolt head pin, though I think Barret is coming out with a new rifle using a similar set up.
after carrying a M24 (rem 700) for years I actually do not own one, I prefer Savage and Tikka T3. I have Home built many Savage rifles, for some one who wants a very accurate, and agun you can build on yourself, savage is a fine rifle.
here are a few of mine;
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v198/FMSNIPER/P1310013.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v198/FMSNIPER/targs10.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v198/FMSNIPER/P1290433.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v198/FMSNIPER/P1290425.jpg

the wife's purple one
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v198/FMSNIPER/P1271138.jpg
6.5x55
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v198/FMSNIPER/P1210444.jpg

300RUM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v198/FMSNIPER/P1010053.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v198/FMSNIPER/P1220524.jpg

COVERBUSTER
07-04-11, 08:12
Solid design that works and works well. You get more than you pay for. I have had a few and never been let down in the accuracy department. I think they get a bad rap because of the bulky wood stocks on the lower end models and the elcheapo plastic stocks on others, but thats a easy fix.

sinjinhawk
07-04-11, 10:05
Wow!!! SOTIC1993 has some impressive rifle indeed. Cool pics

SOTIC1993
07-04-11, 21:27
Thanks I have been building and shooting for many years

BlueLine
07-12-11, 19:33
First of all, how much money are you willing to spend? I know a lot of guys who have put many thousands of dollars into their rifles. Depending on what you want it for, you might find that the rifle is the easy part. Then you start looking at what stock fits you best, what scope you want on top of the rifle, and then trigger jobs, truing the action, making the bolt as smooth as glass... And then once you look at the price of match ammo, you want to buy your own reloading setup so that you can custom formulate your own loads. It can become a sickness. *cough* *cough*

On the other hand, if you're looking to get into the bolt gun scene and have a rifle that is a good place to start, then Savage is a perfectly good place to start. Worst case scenario, you can always sell the rifle if you want to upgrade.

My first bolt gun was a Remington 700--mostly because I got a great deal on a 700 VS in .223, and with ranges only 100 yards long around me, it seemed like a good choice. Later I sold that rifle and moved up to a .308 again in a Remington 700. Why didn't I get a Savage? Because I was already familiar with Remington, had a stock that I liked that I just moved over to the .308, and again, got a good price. Would I have bought a Savage? I did! (Ok, it's a .22, but still, I am very happy with it.) Yes, I would have no problem starting out on a Savage. They work, and they are a good place to learn and practice as you decide if you want to move up to laying out some serious money on a more custom rifle.

I kinda' assume people are going to end up with a different rifle than they started with, so in that case, where you start is less important than getting a lot of time behind the rifle, getting better, and learning what you want in the next rifle.

That's just one guy's opinion, so please take it for what it's worth.

GunnutAF
07-13-11, 12:29
Just picked up my New Hunter 11 in .223 Rem, I traded in my old '06 110F for it . The 110 F shot 1" or less with factory fodder right out of the box! With quality handloads it would do under an 1" consistantly at 100 yards. The new 11 has been the same.:D

Gunner777
07-17-11, 13:14
I certainly enjoy my Savage 10FP. I have found it to be very accurate with smooth bolt function. The Choate stock I added is a real plus. While a bit heavy it's a comfortable stock to use with excellent cheek weld.
Groups at 300 yards average just under 2.5 inches. This is with surplus ammo.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/PWhite777/s320x240-9-1.jpg

Straight Shooter
07-17-11, 13:51
I get SUCH a hoot outta guys that buy these one, two thousand dollar, or more, rifles, put a $1500 dollar or more scope on it, then brag and strut around about shooting 1/2 MOA, when you can get a Model 10 .308 and shoot 1/2 and 1/4 all day long.
If I had a choice between a Rem 700 and a Savage 10, Id take the Savage ALL DAY LONG. My close shooting friend, my mentor actually, has probably a dozen or more of the Savages, and we just ROLL with laughter at what we see on the range or read in these gun mags or forums.
Ole Jim Carmichal several years ago had an out of the box Savage shooting factory ammo into 2" and 2 1/2" groups...at 500 yards.
Yeah, go ahead and get the latest Ed Brown/Wilson/Baer/ect.. and overpay for rifle when you can get a rifle that lasts as long, and shoots as good, and even BETTER, for about $600 or so dollars.
Of course, I dont know anything, and Im sure some will chime in Im apeshit crazy, and Savages are cheap, no good POS's that no REAL shooter would be caught dead with.
Cant wait to hear the replys.

Gunner777
07-17-11, 14:00
Oh well if somebody has the bucks and wants to spend so much on a rifle ok. I can't see doing it but then again being a retired police officer I couldn't buy one like that if I wanted to which I don't.
I actually used a Savage FP10 like the one pictured above as a department issued rifle. The only difference was they had a McMillan stock on mine. They also used a straight 10X scope.
What I can't understand is spending $3000 on a scope for recreational use???

Sniper Central has a Savage Package right now for $1100 which includes a good 10X scope and excellent stock.

Merc8541
07-18-11, 17:34
I have a few pre-acu trigger and they seem to work just fine. Not as refined as the current models. A few friends are in love with the acu-trigger. So far, they seem to get a little better with age, once all the squirrels get knocked out ;).

BlueLine
07-18-11, 20:26
I get SUCH a hoot outta guys that buy these one, two thousand dollar, or more, rifles, put a $1500 dollar or more scope on it, then brag and strut around about shooting 1/2 MOA, when you can get a Model 10 .308 and shoot 1/2 and 1/4 all day long.
If I had a choice between a Rem 700 and a Savage 10, Id take the Savage ALL DAY LONG. My close shooting friend, my mentor actually, has probably a dozen or more of the Savages, and we just ROLL with laughter at what we see on the range or read in these gun mags or forums.
Ole Jim Carmichal several years ago had an out of the box Savage shooting factory ammo into 2" and 2 1/2" groups...at 500 yards.
Yeah, go ahead and get the latest Ed Brown/Wilson/Baer/ect.. and overpay for rifle when you can get a rifle that lasts as long, and shoots as good, and even BETTER, for about $600 or so dollars.
Of course, I dont know anything, and Im sure some will chime in Im apeshit crazy, and Savages are cheap, no good POS's that no REAL shooter would be caught dead with.
Cant wait to hear the replys.

I'm not quite sure where you are getting this from. I haven't read anyone here saying that a Savage is a "no good POS." I, too, am no fan of hearing folks brag, but is someone driving a Mercedes deserving of similar laughter when a Honda Civic will do the same job? People shoot what they like and what they feel they can afford. Let's just be neighborly and let them enjoy the sport regardless of the particular equipment they use--expensive or otherwise.

Peace.

orkan
07-18-11, 22:35
Nicely put blueline.

It's not that savage can't be accurate. That isn't the basis for me and others not liking them.

It's just a "feel" thing. You know, user preference? Some men like chunky woman... others like little scrawny broads. Myself... I like it somewhere in between.

Same with this savage vs remington thing. Stroking the bolt on a savage makes my teeth grit together. I feel dirty and it is unpleasant. However, the remington is a little sloppy sometimes... but much better. Now my surgeons... oh baby bring it to me!

You see what is being said now? Not that savages are a pile of shit. (some are) ... but simply that they are a taste that some of us would as soon not acquire.

ucrt
07-18-11, 22:57

Gunner777,
Just wondering...
...what kind of AR do you shoot?

But maybe it's just me...

Straight Shooter
07-19-11, 07:43
To blueline & orkan-
I heard PLENTY of times, MANY times, people saying that Savage rifles are like some kind of "off brand" or some other dumb, stupid shit. Many times. And Ive had the good fortune to lay either mine, or one of my freinds acroos the bench, throw some money down, and DARE them to see whos 5 shot group is tightest. Shuts them up real quick.
As I said, I dont give a damn what anybody buys, you wanna spend spend $3000 or more on a rifle with Ed Browns name, or Wilson, or whoever, God bless you brother. But, when I read in these gun rags those rifles"turned in some impressive 1/2" to 3/4" 100 yard groups consistently" I freakin roll on the floor laughing my ass off. I know a guy, right now, whos got more rifles than almost anyone youll ever meet, shoots EVERY week, and will NOT clean a barrel for love nor money, and he has a couple of Savages...dirty, filthy bores...thatll outshoot most of the uber guns all day long. I care less if you believe it or not, dont matter to me. I put the uber rifles into the same category as the uber pistols they sell....utter nonsense. My first 1911 was bought in 1979 by me,had the "Accurizer" bushing, and outshot pistols for years that were custom, handbuilt..yadda yadda yadda...then I start reading, from Wilson no less, how those bushings are"prone to breakage at the most neeeded moments" and how "only a handfitted bushing can wring out all the 1911's potential accuracy". BULLSHIT. Its crap made up to convince people to buy THEIR stuff. That 1911 had 15000 + rounds thru it when I traded it for a new S&W 29 .44 Mag. STILL could outshoot most other pistols.
I guess what Im saying is, in closing...EXPENSIVE DONT MEAN ACCURATE.

orkan
07-19-11, 11:09
Straight Shooter... do you like arguing with yourself for the sake of arguing?

Let me say it for the cheap seats:

NO ONE IS SAYING SAVAGES ARE NOT ACCURATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111!!!!!11!one :suicide2:

We are simply saying we don't care for the way they feel. If you don't speak english, I can translate what I've said into a few other languages...

... and if I were standing there, I'd have tossed my money down in a heartbeat. I'm quite confident my surgeon or DTA would hang right with any savage.

Win or lose, when it was all over, the crowd would be standing around my DTA. ;) I buy rifles based on what I want to do with them, but there is also something to be said for having the coolest toy on the range.

Gunner777
07-19-11, 11:34
UCRT this is my primary AR

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/PWhite777/IMG00120-20110702-1105.jpg

It's a lousy phone photo but you get the idea. It's a CMMG. The tan laser is a LaserLyte K-15, Hoyt H-1 light with strobe. Vortex flash suppressor, Rogers Super-Stoc, two stage trigger, Magpul MOE grip, ARMS Swan sling, EoTech 516 and the usual P-Mag, Grip Pod forward grip.
I also have an ACOG TA 33.

My carry guns include a Metro Arms Commander in 45ACP and a Kimber Aegis II full size in 9MM.

"But maybe it's me" You lost me on that????

Clarifying what I said earlier. If someone wants to buy a Remington or other high dollar rifle spend a bunch on it good for them. Same goes for the scope or whatever. I'm just saying I can't afford that kind of weapon on a retired officers pay. The statement I made on the $3000 scope. If someone wants to spend that much fine by me. I just wouldn't do it. We all have our preferences and that's a good thing:-)

BlueLine
07-19-11, 18:30
To blueline & orkan-
I heard PLENTY of times, MANY times, people saying that Savage rifles are like some kind of "off brand" or some other dumb, stupid shit. Many times. And Ive had the good fortune to lay either mine, or one of my freinds acroos the bench, throw some money down, and DARE them to see whos 5 shot group is tightest. Shuts them up real quick.
As I said, I dont give a damn what anybody buys, you wanna spend spend $3000 or more on a rifle with Ed Browns name, or Wilson, or whoever, God bless you brother. But, when I read in these gun rags those rifles"turned in some impressive 1/2" to 3/4" 100 yard groups consistently" I freakin roll on the floor laughing my ass off. I know a guy, right now, whos got more rifles than almost anyone youll ever meet, shoots EVERY week, and will NOT clean a barrel for love nor money, and he has a couple of Savages...dirty, filthy bores...thatll outshoot most of the uber guns all day long. I care less if you believe it or not, dont matter to me. I put the uber rifles into the same category as the uber pistols they sell....utter nonsense. My first 1911 was bought in 1979 by me,had the "Accurizer" bushing, and outshot pistols for years that were custom, handbuilt..yadda yadda yadda...then I start reading, from Wilson no less, how those bushings are"prone to breakage at the most neeeded moments" and how "only a handfitted bushing can wring out all the 1911's potential accuracy". BULLSHIT. Its crap made up to convince people to buy THEIR stuff. That 1911 had 15000 + rounds thru it when I traded it for a new S&W 29 .44 Mag. STILL could outshoot most other pistols.
I guess what Im saying is, in closing...EXPENSIVE DONT MEAN ACCURATE.

I have no doubt what you've heard and read, but you haven't heard or read it HERE, on this specific set of responses to the OP. So in that context, your comments seem more like you are trying to start an argument, or a Savage vs. Remington debate that won't be helpful for the OP. Expensive doesn't mean accurate--ok, valid viewpoint. Why not just say that and end there? Your tales of laying money down and challenging people sound divisive and honestly more like an adolescent penis measuring contest than helpful dialogue. Any rifle will ONLY perform to the level of the individual BEHIND it--expensive or not. As Gunner 777 stated, what we shoot is limited to what we can afford or want to spend. But if you really want to get down to true accuracy, show me a current 1000 yard world record that was shot with any rifle out of the box. There's a reason those riflemen use the rifles that they do. It's all about what you aspire to achieve with your rifle and how much you want to spend toward that goal.

militarymoron
07-19-11, 20:02
straight shooter - you're preaching to the choir here...

orkan
07-19-11, 20:38
But if you really want to get down to true accuracy, show me a current 1000 yard world record that was shot with any rifle out of the box.

And there we have it! Scrape away all the BS and you are left with the truth.

Straight Shooter
07-20-11, 08:18
blueline-
Your accusation of me "trying to start an argument" is a false one. And last time I checked, Im free, white, and over 21 years old, who are you to tell me what I should say or not say?
Had I "just said" Expensive dont mean accurate..without any further example or explanation..you would have probably had a comment similar to "Thats easy for YOU to say..got PROOF?" or some other nonsense. As to me challenging people to PUT UP OR SHUT UP..I do it quite often, as Im sick to death of hearing about 300 yd shots with a 30-30 from a 1 box a year gun owner, or how dads ole deer gun shoots 1" groups with WWB ammo at 200yd,ect.ect. Telling them to back it up with cash always solves that problem.
Further...whether this dialogue is indeed helpful or not, is not at your sole discretion. MAYBE I just ecouraged someone to at least look into a much less costly rifle, than one where you pay a couple grand for some "world renowed 'smith's name" on it.
As to your less than steller example ,to which your co-hort excitedly agreed with, of the world record 1000 yd shot, that is idiotic at best. I have NOT been talking about setting world records, or ANY record, for that matter. Im talking about the myth, perpetrated daily both in print and online, of only these uber rifles,to which you seem a fan of and good for you, btw, are the only ones capable of extreme accuracy. I point out that that is simply hogwash. You are correct in saying that noone HERE has YET said anything about Savage rifles, only a matter of time I would guess.
Finally your accusation Im trying to start a Savage vs. Remington flame war is an absolute lie...I named several makers, and specifically said I was talking about HIGH DOLLAR rifles.
I left BARFCOM forum to get away from pissy, non factual, flame lovers like you, and Ill leave here too if need be, but Ill not sit here and have you throw insults my way that you cant back up with fact.
I dont know you from Adam, nor you me, but Ive been hardcore shooting for over 40 years, and Ive owned/shot weapons YOU DO NOT KNOW EXISTS, so if you cant respond to my posts in the future with manners and intellect...shut your damn mouth.

militarymoron
07-20-11, 09:00
this is a warning - any subsequent posts that do not focus on addressing the OP's question will be deleted. take any personal disagreements to PMs, please.

i know that everyone brings something different to the table through experience and knowledge, but please try to keep these words in mind:
"Disagree without being disagreeable."

longball
08-08-11, 13:49
I have a Savage 12fv in 22-250 and a Remington 700 SPS in .223. Both are 26" heavy barrels and are what I would consider similar offerings from each manufacturer. They both are capable of sub MOA groups with good factory ammunition and handloads. The Savage is the most accurate of the two but not by much. There's no question that there is more aftermarket support for the Remington but if you want to build a precision Savage you will find adequate support to do so. Their reputation has improved dramatically from what they once were.

GunnutAF
08-21-11, 15:52
Straight shooter
I agree with you 100%. I too have been there and done that can't count the money I've won off of the My $2000 rifle is better then yours crowd. :D All with a lowly Stock Sav 110 '06. Suposedly the most inaccurate Rifle /Cartridge combo. :D

Alaskapopo
08-22-11, 02:50
The nice thing about a Savage is that the owner can easily change out the barrel.....which I guess then would get you into the intermediate level rifle category.

I'm still working on loads for my Savage 10 FCP HS Precision I picked up earlier this year. The best 100 yard group to date (without tweaking the load or components, other than powder) is:

http://www.stu-offroad.com/temp/savage-6.jpg

For my purposes, these Savage rifles are more than accurate enough.

What about group #3 in the above pic. Its better to post an average of several 5 shot groups than the best one of the day. Not a Savage or a Remington Slam. But you can't say a rifle is X accurate from one group.
Pat
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/Remington%20700%20Targets/N140load.jpg
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/bolt%20action/Remington700.jpg

turbo38gn
08-22-11, 06:30
Straight shooter
I agree with you 100%. I too have been there and done that can't count the money I've won off of the My $2000 rifle is better then yours crowd. :D All with a lowly Stock Sav 110 '06. Suposedly the most inaccurate Rifle /Cartridge combo. :D

good stuff guys, thanks for keeping it real. I had an opportunity to handle and shoot a few new Savage guns with the Savage team, I was impressed. Unfortunately I got to the shoot late and only shot a few rounds through one of their 223 bolt action models, accu trigger was unreal and the bolt action felt like quality all the way compared to the rem 700 I handled in a gun store several months ago. I also shot the tactical model, only one round as they were packing up, in 300 cal, I want more of that gun, but it's a $2,000 gun and out of my price range today....

Straight Shooter
08-22-11, 08:42
Thanks GunnutAF...it IS fun, aint it?!
Turbo...I really feel that for a very affordable, and just good ole accurate, shootable rifle, the new Savages just cant be beat for value.
My old mentor has probably near two dozen, and as i said before, WILL NOT clean a bore if you paid him, and Sunday after Sunday he is at the range shooting groups that are just unreal. They are consistent, easily modified with other stocks, and durable rifles.
I hope you get some more trigger time with them. Oh, one thing about my old mentor, he does use top-notch glass on his rifles, and that really helps him shoot like he does, of course. But, if the rifle wasnt capable of accuracy, it would really show up with the high quality scopes he uses. The good thing is, Savages are so damned affordable, youll have the money left over for a really good scope!!

arizona98tj
08-22-11, 09:34
What about group #3 in the above pic. Its better to post an average of several 5 shot groups than the best one of the day. Not a Savage or a Remington Slam. But you can't say a rifle is X accurate from one group.
Pat

Pat....that is why I did not state my rifle is a .4 MOA rifle. I clearly stated I was working on loads and that the best group to date was as shown in the photo. The photo also includes groups that are not .40". If I want you to think I have a sub .5 MOA rifle, I would have said something like "My rifle shoots groups less than 1/2" off the bench" and I would have cropped the other groups out of the photo.

Why would I calculate the average group size for several load work-up groups when each one of those groups were using a different load combination? What would that prove....that changing the load recipe causes the group size to change? Don't we all already know that? :confused: (I suppose some don't if they don't reload.)

If people can not ascertain from my simple comments and the photo I posted that I am not claiming I have a .4 MOA rifle, then there isn't much else I can do.

Gunner777
08-22-11, 10:45
At 300 yards my groups are between 2.5 and 3 inches using plain old surplus ammo.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/PWhite777/s320x240-9-1.jpg

Choate stock

turbo38gn
08-22-11, 10:47
Pat....that is why I did not state my rifle is a .4 MOA rifle. I clearly stated I was working on loads and that the best group to date was as shown in the photo. The photo also includes groups that are not .40". If I want you to think I have a sub .5 MOA rifle, I would have said something like "My rifle shoots groups less than 1/2" off the bench" and I would have cropped the other groups out of the photo.

Why would I calculate the average group size for several load work-up groups when each one of those groups were using a different load combination? What would that prove....that changing the load recipe causes the group size to change? Don't we all already know that? :confused: (I suppose some don't if they don't reload.)

If people can not ascertain from my simple comments and the photo I posted that I am not claiming I have a .4 MOA rifle, then there isn't much else I can do.

It was pretty clear to me, thanks for the response.

Also, I live about 2 miles from Savage Arms as the crow flies. I think I am wanting to go in their direction as I like the idea of supporting our local economy.. :)

Dave L.
08-22-11, 10:59
I posted this in the new hunting forum: I have had a Savage 110 for about 14 years. Chambered in 7mm Rem Mag, it was originally $345 with a Simmons scope.
I have since updated the stock to a B&C Carbalite Classic, had action trued, barrel crowned, CNC-cut recoil lug, and added Leupold VXII with nice rings and base.
I also took a Dremel tool to smooth out the feed ramp as it was scraping up the tips of my bullets when feeding from the box-mag.
The gun is now at MOA or better with off the shelf Black Hills loaded 162gr. A-Max rounds.
I wouldn't trade it, sell it, or replace it. It was always under 2 MOA, but the barrel not being free floated really destroyed the accuracy.
For the money, they may be one of the better deals in rifles.

arizona98tj
08-24-11, 22:33
It was pretty clear to me, thanks for the response.

Thanks. :)