PDA

View Full Version : Surefire Presents: Combat Tactics Summer 2011

rob_s
06-21-11, 08:24
I have an article in the current Combat Tactics called AR Hierarchy of Needs. It deals with a lot of the issues we've been discussing here of late, including those raised in Grant's "STOP BUYING TACTICAL GEAR" thread. One of the things I like about Combat Tactics and writing for them is that this is an article basically telling people "don't buy the crap you see on the advertiser's pages here" and they still publish it. Both as a writer and a reader, CT is currently my favorite magazine.

I'm sure the 'zine-haters and the rob-haters will come out of the woodwork now, but if you can separate the person from the idea and you've read the article I'd like to hear some feedback on it. Obviously if you simply hate all gunzines and never buy them you're unlikely to have a pertinent opinion here.

13MPG
06-21-11, 19:02
Hate is a bit strong of a word to use. Anyhow looking forward to the article as I have enjoyed your previous ones. I wish that the articles could be longer and more in depth but I understand the space constraints placed on writers. Gotta leave some room for the full page DPMS/Kimber ads!

jhs1969
06-24-11, 09:38
Picked it up last week and yours was the first article I read. Very good article, now if we could only convience people to follow such good advice. Again, good job.

Dave_M
06-29-11, 00:40
Seemed like a good article. More broad and less specific than one I wrote two-three years ago which covered similar subject matter.

rob_s
06-29-11, 05:42
Seemed like a good article. More broad and less specific than one I wrote two-three years ago which covered similar subject matter.

What magazine was that in? I'd like to read it.

I wanted to be less specific. I'm becoming more and more interested in getting people to think about things than in telling them what to think. the publisher originally asked me to get into more detail, but I have other articles on the nuts and bolts and with this one was more looking to get people to prioritize and actually think about what they are doing.

Dave_M
06-29-11, 11:56
What magazine was that in? I'd like to read it.

Aside from some fiction pieces in college, I open-publish almost everything because it's all stuff I want students to know prior to attending a class.

They mostly consist of, 'common sense' stuff that guys in the know already know but simply never organized and wrote down. Don't take my commentary as me implying you've taken my intellectual property or something :jester: Just saying they were of similar subject matter

I wanted to be less specific. I'm becoming more and more interested in getting people to think about things than in telling them what to think. the publisher originally asked me to get into more detail, but I have other articles on the nuts and bolts and with this one was more looking to get people to prioritize and actually think about what they are doing.

Re-reading the article, you gave some specifics in regards to TDP and then later on in the accuracy section (priority of upgrades etcetera) but there wasn't any priority of upgrades for anything else. Of course, once again, broad stuff. I agree that people need to think and shoot before throwing a bunch of crap on a rifle.

Titleist
06-29-11, 15:15
I finally got an issue of this as well. While I can't claim an article like Rob, the article on the Magpul Dynamics Carbine 2 class was about the class we put on here in Portland.

Kind of cool to be on the first page of the article.

Rob, I did read your article as well, great job.

rob_s
06-29-11, 15:17
Rob, I did read your article as well, great job.
Thanks. I still gotta read Cam's article on that class. Hard to tell, but were Travis, Chris, and Steve instructing at that class?

Titleist
06-29-11, 15:40
Thanks. I still gotta read Cam's article on that class. Hard to tell, but were Travis, Chris, and Steve instructing at that class?

Correct, it was all three. Cam also called it a 5 day class, when it was actually a 3 day class. :confused:

Moose-Knuckle
07-01-11, 01:12
Rob, just read it yesterday. Good read, I'm passing it on to a buddy who recently purchased his first AR, a DDM4XV.