PDA

View Full Version : Beretta M9A1 or 90-two? which one should I get?

AJM0617
06-21-11, 11:37
Hey guys, Im planning on adding a Beretta on my little collection. But not really decided between M9A1,or 90-two. I never owned a Beretta before and I have never shot one before. I've had / have pretty much most of the popular semi-auto pistols out there but not a Beretta. Both models feels about the same in my hand (feels good) M9A1 holds 15-round of 9mm and 90-two holds s couple more which is 17 rounds. Maybe someone here who own or have / had experience on Beretta can share your 2 cent.

Thanks in advance..

Sensei
06-21-11, 12:17
I assume that you are a collector since you state that you have most other popular brands and you are purchasing a weapon that is completely unfamiliar to you. For a collection, the M9A1 would be my choice since it closely resembles the military issued sidearm.

If you plan to shoot or carry it, I'd suggest that you go to a range that rents firearms and give it a try.

Timbonez
06-21-11, 13:02
Capacity for both weapons is actually 17 rounds. The magazines are interchangeable, but the M9A1 will come with 15 round magazines. That being said, have you looked at the 92A1? It is the most recent "upgrade" to the 90 series of Berettas. It has the recoil buffer and rail design of the 90-Two, but uses the traditional slide design of the older 90 series Berettas. Both the 92A1 and 90-Two slides have a dovetailed front sight instead of it being an actual part of the slide like previous Berettas.

AJM0617
06-21-11, 13:24
Capacity for both weapons is actually 17 rounds. The magazines are interchangeable, but the M9A1 will come with 15 round magazines. That being said, have you looked at the 92A1? It is the most recent "upgrade" to the 90 series of Berettas. It has the recoil buffer and rail design of the 90-Two, but uses the traditional slide design of the older 90 series Berettas. Both the 92A1 and 90-Two slides have a dovetailed front sight instead of it being an actual part of the slide like previous Berettas.

Oh thats cool. I didnt really pay attention to the front sights when I was comparing the the 92A1 and 90-two side by side. I thought they just have the old style front sight. As far as prices, the 90-two is around $700 here in my area and the 92A1 are $650ish (at least on one place I went and look) besides the different looks and / or grips of 90-two and 92A1, what else is the difference between the two Berettas?

Timbonez
06-21-11, 14:46
Between those two Berettas, the 90-Two has a single piece grip and you can change it out for a slightly thinner one. They both have the internal recoil buffer, as I already mentioned. They also have a captive recoil spring assembly, whereas previous Beretta models use a non-captive recoil spring around the guide rod.

Either would be a good choice, but I would give the nod to the 92A1 simply for holster compatibility. The 90-Two never really took off when it was released, so it's popularity is relegated to a very small group of people. My first Beretta was a 90-Two in .40 S&W, which I sold to a friend. There was nothing wrong with the gun, I'm just not a fan of the caliber. I currently own a commercial M9, and it's been good to me. I see the 92A1 as a well thought out upgrade to the M9/92/96 Berettas. You can find a lot of information at http://www.berettaforum.net. Our resident Beretta aficianado, Shipwreck, is also a wealth of information on M4C.

AJM0617
06-21-11, 14:56
Between those two Berettas, the 90-Two has a single piece grip and you can change it out for a slightly thinner one. They both have the internal recoil buffer, as I already mentioned. They also have a captive recoil spring assembly, whereas previous Beretta models use a non-captive recoil spring around the guide rod.

Either would be a good choice, but I would give the nod to the 92A1 simply for holster compatibility. The 90-Two never really took off when it was released, so it's popularity is relegated to a very small group of people. My first Beretta was a 90-Two in .40 S&W, which I sold to a friend. There was nothing wrong with the gun, I'm just not a fan of the caliber. I currently own a commercial M9, and it's been good to me. I see the 92A1 as a well thought out upgrade to the M9/92/96 Berettas. You can find a lot of information at http://www.berettaforum.net. Our resident Beretta aficianado, Shipwreck, is also a wealth of information on M4C.

Thanks man... didnt know there is a Beretta Forum.. I guess most of them got their own forum now these days

ShipWreck
06-21-11, 16:42
I have two 92A1s, two M9A1s, and i prev owned two 90-Twos. I tried to like the 90-Two, but the grip really sucks. I ended up selling the 90-Two each time. I couldn't like the gun because of the grip.

There are NO aftermarket grips, and the factory grip is just too slippery. That's the biggest complaint ya see over and over about the 90-Two.

Also, while th 1 piece polymer grip is replacable with a "thin" grip to make it look like a Beretta Vertec grip - good luck on actually finding the "thin" grip. There are guys at the Beretta Forum who have looked for months. No one seems to have them in stock, and they have been out of stock for months at most places, if not longer.

I'd suggest getting the 92A1. It has the updated features of the 90-Two, but it has the regular 92FS grip. So, ANY 92 grips will fit the gun. Also, the 92A1 comes with THREE 17 round mags.

Be aware that even if you buy a regular 92FS, though - you can use 17 round mags in any Beretta 92 9mm variant. And, you can use 15 round mags in the 90-Two or 92A1.

92A1:
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/92a1-02.jpg

M9A1:
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/M9A1-9001.jpg

90-Two:
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/90-two-902.jpg

Pistol Shooter
06-21-11, 16:45
I've been a Beretta fan since 1989 so I have some experience with them.

I strongly suggest you go with the M9A1.

AJM0617
06-21-11, 17:01
I have two 92A1s, two M9A1s, and i prev owned two 90-Twos. I tried to like the 90-Two, but the grip really sucks. I ended up selling the 90-Two each time. I couldn't like the gun because of the grip.

There are NO aftermarket grips, and the factory grip is just too slippery. That's the biggest complaint ya see over and over about the 90-Two.

Also, while th 1 piece polymer grip is replacable with a "thin" grip to make it look like a Beretta Vertec grip - good luck on actually finding the "thin" grip. There are guys at the Beretta Forum who have looked for months. No one seems to have them in stock, and they have been out of stock for months at most places, if not longer.

I'd suggest getting the 92A1. It has the updated features of the 90-Two, but it has the regular 92FS grip. So, ANY 92 grips will fit the gun. Also, the 92A1 comes with THREE 17 round mags.

Be aware that even if you buy a regular 92FS, though - you can use 17 round mags in any Beretta 92 9mm variant. And, you can use 15 round mags in the 90-Two or 92A1.

Thanks man. Thats good to know.. I myself don't like slippery grips too.. looks like 92A1 got the nod. Sooo whats the difference between 92A1 and M9A1?

AJM0617
06-21-11, 17:04
I've been a Beretta fan since 1989 so I have some experience with them.

I strongly suggest you go with the M9A1.

Yeah. Looks like I'm going to that track.. :) thanks man

ShipWreck
06-21-11, 17:50
Thanks man. Thats good to know.. I myself don't like slippery grips too.. looks like 92A1 got the nod. Sooo whats the difference between 92A1 and M9A1?

The M9A1 is basically a railed 92FS, with frame checkering. It uses the regular 92FS slide, in fact (and the slide is marked 92FS, but the frame is marked M9A1). The frame is very similiar to a Vertec, except without the Vertec grip. So, any holsters you see that fit the older Beretta Vertec will fit the M9A1.

The 92A1 is the newest version of the 92. It has a captive guiderod, dovetailed fronta nd rear sight (the front sight isn't molded into the slide), a recoil buffer piece built into the frame, a rail, and a curved trigger guard. Finally, it has regular grip serrations instead of checkering like the M9A1

In my opinion. the 92A1 balances the best in a 1 handed grip out of any of the railed models. I also personally find the 92A1 is my second fav beretta 92 variant - right behind the standard 92FS (which balances the best 1 handed, IMHO).

There is also finally aftermarket night sights for the 92A1 from Trijicon now. And, while others may disagree - I personally like the regular front and rear strap serrations over the checkering on the M9A1. The checkering is rather shallow - so its not nearly as grippy as checkering on a 1911. I think the standard serrations on the front and back strap give a better grip.

AJM0617
06-21-11, 18:01
The M9A1 is basically a railed 92FS, with frame checkering. It uses the regular 92FS slide, in fact (and the slide is marked 92FS, but the frame is marked M9A1). The frame is very similiar to a Vertec, except without the Vertec grip. So, any holsters you see that fit the older Beretta Vertec will fit the M9A1.

The 92A1 is the newest version of the 92. It has a captive guiderod, dovetailed fronta nd rear sight (the front sight isn't molded into the slide), a recoil buffer piece built into the frame, a rail, and a curved trigger guard. Finally, it has regular grip serrations instead of checkering like the M9A1

In my opinion. the 92A1 balances the best in a 1 handed grip out of any of the railed models. I also personally find the 92A1 is my second fav beretta 92 variant - right behind the standard 92FS (which balances the best 1 handed, IMHO).

There is also finally aftermarket night sights for the 92A1 from Trijicon now. And, while others may disagree - I personally like the regular front and rear strap serrations over the checkering on the M9A1. The checkering is rather shallow - so its not nearly as grippy as checkering on a 1911. I think the standard serrations on the front and back strap give a better grip.

Thanks for this info.. I honestly dont know much about berettas and would like know them better. I have no experience with any beretta firearms but I know that the 90 series fits and feels good in my hand. I try to collect firearms but Im not one of those collector that would buy a gun, shoot it a couple of times and put it away and never ever shoot it. I like shooting all my weapons (depends on which firearms I feel like shooting at that day) so now I've decided to get the Beretta 90 series to add to my little collection.

Thanks for this information. I needed this

ShipWreck
06-21-11, 20:20
I hear ya.

I actually have four different models - and an extra set of the same 4... I got rid of the 90-Two, because I just couldn't dig it. But, I have a set I carry and use a lot, and then another set I occasionally use, but am keeping as safe queens. When my son gets older, I'm gonna let him have his pick of that extra set. As other models come out, I'll probably add to my collection.

I never would have bought 8 of the same platform years ago. But after owning a lot of handguns since I bought my first one in 1993 - I've owned just about everything at 1 time or another. I got back into Berettas again, and they are my fav platform. In a 1 handed grip, I prefer them to a 1911 - I know that is blasphemy to some...

Alex V
06-22-11, 11:38
My first firearm was the 90-Two .40Cal, I love it and doubt I will ever part with it, both for nostalgic reasons and the difficulty with selling a handgun in NJ, having said that, in hind sight I should have gotten a 92a1.

The only reason, being availability or complimentary gear. The lack of holster choices was truly frustrating. I have fairly large hands for my size so the dimensions of the grip did not bother my, the texture did however. I bought an extra one for less that $10 and stippled it myself. Now it's too grippy and after an 8 hour class my hands were pretty irritated lol. Can't win lol. May have to do it again with a less aggressive pattern.

Seems like the 92a1 is the better choice today.

Mike_E
06-23-11, 13:20
+1 for the 92A1.

I have a Beretta 92FS, Brigadier 92FS Inox and a Vertec 92FS Inox. Kind of regretted selling my two other 92FS and 92FS Inox.

Anyone know why they discontinued the Vertec model? I really like the 1911 grip on my Vertec.

Seraph
06-23-11, 13:47

92A1:
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/92a1-02.jpg

M9A1:
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/M9A1-9001.jpg

90-Two:
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/90-two-902.jpg

I've heard from a lot of people who want holsters for Beretta pistols, and I've been putting off making them, because I'm not sure how I need to approach it. It seems like the hardcore Beretta fans prefer the 92 variants over the polymer framed models, so I'm thinking I will start there. I never noticed before, but, looking at your photos, there seems to be a difference in the rails, between a 92A1 and an M9A1. Since you own both pistols, it seems convenient to ask you - Is the difference merely the deletion of one of the rail slots, or is it a completely different positioning of the rail slots? Would a Surefire X300 or a TLR-1 mount the same way on both pistols, or would it be sitting farther forward/rearward on one pistol vs. the other? I'm trying to figure out if I would be able to just get one of these pistols, to make holsters that would then fit both of them.

ShipWreck
06-23-11, 15:17
Well, I have some of my Berettas that I carry and use and abuse. And some (the extra set) that I keep in the safe for safe keeping (with occasional range use).

Both of my 92A1s fit into the latter category. So, I really don't want to holster them or mount a light. On my actual usage guns (M9A1, 92FS and a 92 compact), I don't care if they get beat to hell...

Anyway, I have a TRL on my M9A1. I bought it a couple of weeks ago. I wanted a Surefire X300, but the activation switch on both of them (at my local gun store) was way too hard to activate with a trigger finger. So, I just went ahead and got the TRL1 for 1/2 the price.

The X300 WILL fit fine on the M9A1. And, the TRL has different keys. There is a Beretta 90-Two key, but it doesn't work well on the M9A1. I had to use the standard 1913 "key" to use the TRL1 on the M9A1. It works fine, though....

The 90-Two key MIGHT work on the 92A1 - as the rail on the 90-Two seems to be the same as the one on the 92A1. I'd rather remove my light and change the key and mount it on a 92A1. Sorry. I' got my two 92A1s for collection purposes, as stated above.

Here is a pic of my M9A1 with the TRL....

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/M9A1-taclight1.jpg

As for holsters... The M9A1 will fit into ANY Vertec holster. The barrel sticks out like 0.2 inches further than a Vertec (the vertec had a shorter barrel), but that's a non issue. Comptac used to make an IWB holster for the Vertec, and I managed to get one about a year ago before they stopped making that model. The M9A1 fits fine, as the front part of the vertec frame is the same as the M9A1.

I have been told that the 92A1's will fit fine into a vertec holster as well. But, I haven't actually tried either 92A1 into my Comptac holster yet.

DaveR
06-23-11, 15:32
Seraph, you could probably make a lot of people happy if you made a kydex (or plastic of some kind) holster for the 92A1.

Dave

556A2
06-23-11, 15:52
Unless you have real need for a rail, I'd get a 92FS or M9. I've had the M9A1 & 92A1, but ditched them since they use different holsters than the regular 92s.

If you are set on a rail, I'd get the M9A1 over the 90-two. I'd also look at the 92A1 as well since it does add some improvements to the 92 series.

Seraph
06-23-11, 16:17
Seraph, you could probably make a lot of people happy if you made a kydex (or plastic of some kind) holster for the 92A1.

Dave

That's what I'm getting at, Dave. I've got requests for nearly all the 92 and 96 variants, and even some for the PX-4 Storm (surprisingly, none at all for the 90-Two). I've always liked the 92 (M9), and have recently become intrigued with the railed versions, largely due to the holster requests. I just can't buy ALL of the pistols for which people want holsters, so I'm trying to figure out how to make the most people happy, with the fewest pistols. For my own personal satisfaction, I think I'd rather have a 92A1, for the dovetailed front sight, but it looks like I might be able to use an M9A1 to make a holster that would fit both pistols. 92A1 owners would probably prefer a holster molded specifically for their rounded trigger guard, though, huh?...

Why couldn't they have used the 92A1 slide for the M9A1?

Apologies to the OP, for the hijack.

ShipWreck
06-23-11, 16:32
Well, you could buy a 92FS blue gun for not much, and then a real 92A1...

DaveR
06-23-11, 16:33
Actually Seraph, I don't think you're hijacking. This is an issue that applies to 92A1 or 90-Two. After market accessories availability.

I had a chance for a new 90-Two for less money but from what I'd read on line it was getting hard to get things and most of what I'd read indicated that the 90-Two might not be supported for much longer. True or not I don't know but I made my decision in favor of the 92A1 figuring after market support would grow. Time could prove me wrong.

I've contacted Blackhawk (have one in the works) Comp-Tac (stay tuned) for holsters. This one from Beretta looks promising.
http://www.berettaforum.net/vb/showthread.php?t=74708

Dave

Seraph
06-23-11, 17:39
http://i54.tinypic.com/1yu98g.jpg

That strikes me as more of a sport holster. I want to do something more like this:

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g111/Trisagion/K-25%20G17/G17Coyote_web_01.jpg

DaveR
06-24-11, 07:38
Nice looking holster.

Dave