PDA

View Full Version : Mounting a Sling

aaron_c
06-21-11, 18:25
I'm getting all set to start buying up all the parts for my new build when I get back from vacation in early July, but had a couple questions on the QD slings. I'll be picking up a two point sling, by the way.

1) I see that slings don't come with the QD sling swivels, so when I buy those, what's the best way to attach them to the sling?

2) On the rear sling attachment method- I'll have a Vltor IMOD. Would the QD sling swivel mount that's integrated into that stock work any better or worse than the Burnsed loop attachment?

Sanpete
06-21-11, 19:16
I'm getting all set to start buying up all the parts for my new build when I get back from vacation in early July, but had a couple questions on the QD slings. I'll be picking up a two point sling, by the way.

1) I see that slings don't come with the QD sling swivels, so when I buy those, what's the best way to attach them to the sling?

2) On the rear sling attachment method- I'll have a Vltor IMOD. Would the QD sling swivel mount that's integrated into that stock work any better or worse than the Burnsed loop attachment?

1) Simply run the webbing through the metal loop of the QD swivel. It takes more time to read how to do it, than to have both in hand and say "oh, duh."

2)Yes. Better or worse is opinion. I like the QD method better.

Buy quality QD swivels. There's a little bit of a difference in certain brands, and some QD swivels won't stay locked in other certain brand receptacles. Avoid the chinese-made CAA swivels.

Hmac
06-21-11, 20:52

The VCAS padded sling with sewn-in QD swivels (http://www.blueforcegear.com/products/Vickers-Padded-Sling-with-Push-Button.html) is a great sling.

http://SSEquine.net/slingvcas2.jpg

I have an iMod, but I definitely prefer an endplate attachment for a two-point sling and for that, the Noveske end plate (http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=rec-qdep&cat=164&page=1&search=&since=&status=) is absolutely top-notch.

http://noveskerifleworks.com/imimg/rec-qdep_1.jpg

aaron_c
06-21-11, 21:18
I was going to just pick up a couple of the Daniel Defense QD swivel mounts and a GS2 sling, but I'll look into that Vickers setup....and that Noveske end plate. That thing is priced really really reasonably.

Blowby
06-21-11, 22:12
Noveske end plate works and transitions to your weak side without a problem. Make sure your stock works with it or it can collapse and release the button in the most un-opportune time.

aaron_c
06-21-11, 23:12
I'm getting the DD Omega rail, so it should be compatible and the DD from QD swivel for sure, the others I'd have to check on though.

Hmac
06-22-11, 15:18
I was going to just pick up a couple of the Daniel Defense QD swivel mounts and a GS2 sling, but I'll look into that Vickers setup....and that Noveske end plate. That thing is priced really really reasonably.

The Noveske endplate is steel, DD is aluminum. I haven't heard of any failures of the DD endplate yet, but....it's aluminum vs steel.....and the Noveske is cheaper.

aaron_c
06-22-11, 15:22
Which of the two are you recommending between steel and aluminum? I was actually referring to the DD swivel mounts that plug into the slot on Vltor stocks and/or QD slots on rails.

Hmac
06-22-11, 15:32
Which of the two are you recommending between steel and aluminum? I was actually referring to the DD swivel mounts that plug into the slot on Vltor stocks and/or QD slots on rails.

I think steel is going to be more durable and less likely to wear the socket than aluminum, and I think the steel will stake more securely. The ONLY advantage I could fathom for the aluminum end plate would be weight saving. The Noveske endplate weighs 0.5 ounces. The Daniel Defense endplate weighs 0.3 ounces. For a weight difference of 0.2 ounces and the Noveske being $16 cheaper, I'm gonna go with steel and Noveske.

cgcorrea
06-22-11, 15:36

I believe he's recommending the steel Noveske. It's stronger than aluminum, is sold at less cost than the DD endplate, and only weights an eyelash more.