PDA

View Full Version : mildly corrosive

platoonDaddy
06-21-11, 18:55
What is "mildly corrosive"? Not being a smart ass, is it something like mildly pregnant.

Great price:

560rds - 7.62x39 Yugoslavian Military 123gr. FMJ on Stripper Clip
[AY762SC] $109.95

This is 7.62x39 Yugoslavian Military 7.62x39 123gr. FMJ on stripper clips . This ammo was manufactured by a Yugoslavian military arsenal. This ammo has a 123gr. NON-MAGNETIC FMJ bullet. That means a magnet will not stick to the bullet, so this ammo should be safe to shoot at any gun range. It is also brass cased, berdan primed and mildly corrosive. This is excellent military grade 7.62x39 ammo. This ammo is packed 10rds. per stripper clip, 40rds. per box and 1120rds. per sealed wooden crate.

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/product_info.php/products_id/2855?osCsid=omnjnapa1upuah7bnc5fjhufi5

TOrrock
06-21-11, 23:27
It's being slightly pregnant.

Clean after firing and you'll be gtg.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=83191

GermanSynergy
06-21-11, 23:37
Yup. FWIW Yugo ammo is excellent, and some of the very best shooting 7.62x39mm out there.

ralph
06-22-11, 07:17
Ditto to what everyone above has said...I would treat all com-bloc ammo of any caliber as if it were corrosive, despite what the seller may claim...

120mm
06-22-11, 07:42
Pry has a corrosive primer.

This won't hurt your AK one bit.

Wayne Dobbs
06-22-11, 07:57
But since it is corrosive you do HAVE to clean it immediately after firing and you need to do follow up inspections/cleanings for at least two more consecutive days or you may find that you have a "rust bunny".

Corrosive ammo is where the military model of obsessive cleaning regimens originated.

kartoffel
06-22-11, 12:42
It sure is corrosive, but you can handle it. Hot water is all that's needed to get the bad shit out (and then naturally you'll need to clean with oil to get the water out or it will still rust.)

I've heard stories about soldiers peeing down the barrels of their guns and then pulling a knotted boot lace dipped in diesel fuel through the barrel. Sounds a little dramatic, but then again it'd probably work.

The Cat
06-22-11, 14:43
It sure is corrosive, but you can handle it. Hot water is all that's needed to get the bad shit out (and then naturally you'll need to clean with oil to get the water out or it will still rust.)

+1 :)

platoonDaddy
06-22-11, 20:21
Corrosive ammo is where the military model of obsessive cleaning regimens originated.

Amen on obsessive cleaning!

When available "Hot Water" was our friend, of course as long as the Armour didn't find out.

kartoffel
06-22-11, 20:57
Amen on obsessive cleaning!

When available "Hot Water" was our friend, of course as long as the Armour didn't find out.

Are people still taking their weapons in the shower with them and going to town with an old toothbrush, or does that count as don't ask don't tell?

platoonDaddy
06-22-11, 21:20
Are people still taking their weapons in the shower with them and going to town with an old toothbrush, or does that count as don't ask don't tell?

LOL, for sure "don't ask don't tell" was after my time. :)

But in the day, the shower (when hot water was available) plus toothbrush was the weapon of choice.

goodoleboy
06-28-11, 21:21
Mildly Corrosive is a term used by dealers to sell their product. Trust me, the Yugoslavian stuff is corrosive and I've seen plenty of sewer pipe bbls to prove it. However, I've never had a problem with corrosive ammo but I clean my weapons immediately after firing corrosive ammo. As long as you clean your rifle IMMEDIATELY after firing (not waiting several hours), you should be fine. I've shot an a$$load of corrosive through my M1 (no chrome lining) and have never had an issue with any surface getting rust, but I clean them immediately after firing. I have heard people say that you have to use soap and water (similar to muzzle-loader cleaning proceedures), but I've never had any problems using Hoppes. Be sure you clean the bbl, gas piston, gas tube, and bolt face with PLENTY of Hoppes or soap and water and you should be good to go.

duece71
06-29-11, 04:14
I bought 2 cases of Yugo for my ammo stash. I haven't shot it yet, but when I do I will clean with windex or boiling hot water. Treat ALL russian, eastern european, chicom ammo as corrosive????

120mm
06-29-11, 09:09
Do yourself a favor and do not use windex or any other ammonia based cleaner around guns with aluminum parts, like the AR.

Windex will corrode your AR like nobodies' business.

kartoffel
06-29-11, 10:02
Do yourself a favor and do not use windex or any other ammonia based cleaner around guns with aluminum parts, like the AR.

Windex will corrode your AR like nobodies' business.

Likewise for Simple Green. It'll attack anodizing.

duece71
06-29-11, 13:25
Ok, boiling water it is. Thanks.