PDA

View Full Version : pistol training question

bubba04
06-21-11, 20:34
I have been shooting my g17 a lot here lately (greater then 500 rounds a week spread over 2 or 3 trips) working on becoming more proficient transitioning from target to target, faster reloads, drawing from holster and getting on target faster, etc.

In the summer months I shoot in an indoor range (which requires brass ammo) and during all other months I shoot outside with the cheapest crap I can find.

My issue arises now with the cost of brass cased ammo and the bill associated with it.

I have been thinking about getting an advantage arms 22 kit and using that for different drills, and then ending each range session with 50 rounds of 9mm.

After doing some research on here I have seen some mixed reviews in terms of how effective it is training because of the lack of a recoil impulse. Specifically it sounds like you can only get good benefit on practicing drawing from a holster and getting on target.

Is it a worth while training tool, or should I just cut back over the summer months to what I can afford.

As always I appreciate the help.

vigilant2
06-21-11, 21:32
Speaking from my own experience, I have found it to be a valuable
tool as far as improving marksmanship. I have four G19's and a AA G19 .22LR dedicated gun. Purchased a G19 lower from Glockmeister to make a dedicated .22. I usually shoot 1-2 times a week, I will usually take the .22 at least every other range session.
Those times that I do , I will usually start with about the first 60-72
rounds in 9mm at 2-3inch shootnc bullseyes (@ 10-15 yrds, this is constantly slowly getting pushed further and further back) then go
to the .22LR gun for the next 100-150 rnds , then back to the 9mm
to finish. I'm talking strictly static range (podium) shooting here. I've never shot the .22 dynamically, timed, etc,etc.
With the .22 in this limited role I've found 2 results,
1) My groups tighten up significantly when I go back to the 9mm after shooting the .22LR.
2) Shooting the .22LR shows me things that I sometimes do during
trigger press,follow-through that is not quite noticeable when shooting 9mm.

Thats my .02, to me its worth it.

rathos
06-22-11, 01:38
Totally worth it. I am going to pick one up here as soon as funds permit. It allows you to to learn trigger control a lot less expensively. It is like dry firing, but actually being able to see where you are hitting. While you can't practice recoil control or controlling multiple fast shots being able to train with your same trigger for a lot more rounds is priceless.

bubba04
06-22-11, 10:23
Appreciate the help guys.

nickdrak
06-22-11, 10:28
Have you ever received any formal pistol training, or are you trying to improve your skills on your own?

bubba04
06-22-11, 10:57
No formal training. I recently started shooting IDPA.

I really want to take a pistol class or two sometime Q3Q4. I would like to take a vickers method class here in Texas. I sent one of his instructors and email, but have yet to hear back.

nickdrak
06-22-11, 12:46
No formal training. I recently started shooting IDPA.

I really want to take a pistol class or two sometime Q3Q4. I would like to take a vickers method class here in Texas. I sent one of his instructors and email, but have yet to hear back.

That would be my first choice before investing in anything else. You will gain the most from getting hands on instruction from a quality instructor. You might also wanna try Paul Howe/CSAT. He has some of the most solid fundamentals in the business and he is also in TX.

gringop
06-22-11, 13:56
This applies to pistol and rifle.

Things where practicing with a rimfire can help your training.

One shot draws or one shot starting from ready position.
Wide one shot target transitions
Slowfire bullseye shooting.
Basic trigger press and sight alignment
One shot, reload, one shot.
Malfunction clearing (try cheap Wildcats)
Steel Challenge

Things where practicing with a rimfire can harm your training.

Anything where recoil is a factor, ie. multiple shots.
Bill drills
Narrow target transitions
Shooting multiples on the move
Ect.

Then there is the malfunction issue. If your 22 kit is reliable, that's great. But when it's not, it can turn a good practice session into a cluster**** quick. You can't concentrate on working your drills if you are clearing jams every magazine.

Gringop

ranburr
06-22-11, 15:05
Any form of trigger time is better than no trigger time. Check out the Impact Zone, it is close to Houston and has quality visiting instructors yr around.

bubba04
06-22-11, 15:59
That would be my first choice before investing in anything else. You will gain the most from getting hands on instruction from a quality instructor. You might also wanna try Paul Howe/CSAT. He has some of the most solid fundamentals in the business and he is also in TX.

Thanks for this, thats not a bad drive at all from where I am at.

bubba04
06-22-11, 16:00
Any form of trigger time is better than no trigger time. Check out the Impact Zone, it is close to Houston and has quality visiting instructors yr around.

I have shot a few times at the impact zone, I Would love to get me a membership there.....

I resort to the indoor ranges around here and american shooting range typically. sucks...

bubba04
06-22-11, 16:03
anyone taking any classes here?

http://360tacticaltraining.com

nickdrak
06-22-11, 18:09
Any form of trigger time is better than no trigger time.

As long as you aren't reinforcing bad habits. Otherwise you are just wasting time & ammo.

bubba04
06-22-11, 18:11
As long as you aren't reinforcing bad habits. Otherwise you are just wasting time & ammo.

That is my worry with the conversion. I think at this point I am going to hold off for a while.

BKennedy
06-22-11, 18:16
I'll second the suggestion for Paul Howe, took his course a few years ago and it helped tremendously. You'll leave the course with some drills to practice, that way you're not reinforcing bad habits.

ranburr
06-22-11, 18:35
anyone taking any classes here?

http://360tacticaltraining.com

I wasn't impressed. Some of the resumes are a little embellished.

Axcelea
06-22-11, 21:23
That is my worry with the conversion. I think at this point I am going to hold off for a while.

I don't think a 22 is a gateway to bad habits really, mostly the negatives I can see is the potential to try and shoot 9MM and being sloppy.

I'm like vigilant2. I shoot a 22 pistol to be cheap and work more on the fundamentals and with it I pick up and doing things wrong better so it helps me have better technique that transfers to the 9MM and helps me be better. Shooting flaws just seem easier to detect with a 22 to me. Breaking the wrist down was perhaps one of the worse things I did that was blatantly obvious if I did it with a 22.

Failure2Stop
06-23-11, 07:35
Pulled to Training and Tactics

bubba04
06-23-11, 08:04
Pulled to Training and Tactics

thanks sorry about that.

M-Bear
06-26-11, 22:57
Anyone that is shooting 500 rounds a week needs to be reloading. I can and do reload the 9mm for right at $100 a thousand or $5.00 for a fifty round box. I am making high quality rounds not the cheapest I can make.

bubba04
06-27-11, 09:03
Pm sent to you mbear!