PDA

View Full Version : My M&P9 Seems to Be Going Downhill Fast!

nrose8989
06-22-11, 00:16
Like the title says, I've been experiencing some issues with my M&P9 lately.

To date, I have roughly 8000rds down the tube.

A couple weeks ago during a USPSA match I had experienced multiple failure to fires (light primer strikes) using Fiocchi 147grgr. TMJ loads. After some testing, the problem rounds cycled fine through a friend's Glock 17.

After that episode I called S&W and they sent me the most recent gen striker assembly and I promptly replaced the part.

This past weekend I began to get paranoid because this is my "go to" gun so I decided to make a short range trip to test out my carry load (Gold Dot 147gr). I only had time to run one mag through, and during that mag I had experienced a reversed inline stovepipe.

Do you think the stovepipe could have been a random anomaly or is there the possibility of a suspect part that needs to be replaced?

While on the subject, what other parts should I start replacing? and at what maintenance schedule?

spamsammich
06-22-11, 00:43
Replace the recoil spring and the mag springs, clean the mags and followers while you're at it.

oldtexan
06-22-11, 08:13
The thread below deals with preventive maintenance on various handguns. It should IMO be made into a sticky and expanded/updated as applicable.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=74162

C4IGrant
06-22-11, 08:25
Like the title says, I've been experiencing some issues with my M&P9 lately.

To date, I have roughly 8000rds down the tube.

A couple weeks ago during a USPSA match I had experienced multiple failure to fires (light primer strikes) using Fiocchi 147grgr. TMJ loads. After some testing, the problem rounds cycled fine through a friend's Glock 17.

After that episode I called S&W and they sent me the most recent gen striker assembly and I promptly replaced the part.

This past weekend I began to get paranoid because this is my "go to" gun so I decided to make a short range trip to test out my carry load (Gold Dot 147gr). I only had time to run one mag through, and during that mag I had experienced a reversed inline stovepipe.

Do you think the stovepipe could have been a random anomaly or is there the possibility of a suspect part that needs to be replaced?

While on the subject, what other parts should I start replacing? and at what maintenance schedule?

Make sure you have changed out your guide rod/recoil spring and magazine springs. Check your extractor for any wear and that it is still sharp.

C4

DaBigBR
06-22-11, 09:35
I don't think you can call one failure on one mag at all significant. It may be nothing, it may be indicative of problems. You need to get some more rounds through it to find out.

nickdrak
06-22-11, 10:14
If you are still on your original recoil spring assembly @ 8000 rounds, that sounds like it could be the issue. Replace it. An Apex extractor wont hurt anything either.

maximus83
06-22-11, 13:51
If you are still on your original recoil spring assembly @ 8000 rounds, that sounds like it could be the issue. Replace it. An Apex extractor wont hurt anything either.

I have tried a number of the Apex other M&P parts with good results, but so far not the extractor. Have you tried one, did it make a major difference for you?

nickdrak
06-22-11, 14:09
I have tried a number of the Apex other M&P parts with good results, but so far not the extractor. Have you tried one, did it make a major difference for you?

Absolutely. My 2010 production M&P9 was having some intermittent extraction issues. I installed the Apex extractor in it and havent had a single fte since. The day after I installed it I took it to the range and fired 270 trouble free rounds thru it in about 20 minutes to make sure it worked.

Icculus
06-22-11, 15:36
Make sure you have changed out your guide rod/recoil spring and magazine springs. Check your extractor for any wear and that it is still sharp.

C4

Are most people buying factory S&W captured guide rod/recoil springs somewhere or just replacing them with non-captured rods from Speed Shooter Specialties when the time comes so as to make recoil spring replacement in the future easy?

C4IGrant
06-22-11, 15:40
Are most people buying factory S&W captured guide rod/recoil springs somewhere or just replacing them with non-captured rods from Speed Shooter Specialties when the time comes so as to make recoil spring replacement in the future easy?

To be honest, I don't think most people are buying/replacing them. Everyone either doesn't shoot enough to change them out, or believe that they last forever.

We do stock them (FYI).

C4

Sry0fcr
06-22-11, 15:47
I don't think you can call one failure on one mag at all significant. It may be nothing, it may be indicative of problems. You need to get some more rounds through it to find out.

At any rate, it's probably time to do some PM. Why wait until failures become commonplace before addressing them?

Icculus
06-22-11, 15:50
Which would you recommend, captured or non? For right or wrong I'm typically of the mindset that recoil springs get changed out at 5000 rounds on most handguns and maybe sooner for things like a subcompacts. My M&P is creeping up to that number so it's time plus I'd like to keep a couple of spares on hand.

Also, I found the S&W Gen 5 striker assemblies on your site and also the ISMI captured rods for the Glock's but no rods for the S&W. Link?

C4IGrant
06-23-11, 08:42
Which would you recommend, captured or non? For right or wrong I'm typically of the mindset that recoil springs get changed out at 5000 rounds on most handguns and maybe sooner for things like a subcompacts. My M&P is creeping up to that number so it's time plus I'd like to keep a couple of spares on hand.

Also, I found the S&W Gen 5 striker assemblies on your site and also the ISMI captured rods for the Glock's but no rods for the S&W. Link?

Just run the captured.

3-5K is fine on spring replacements.

We stopped stocking ISMI setups a long time ago. While I think they are nice, not a really popular item.

C4

longball
06-23-11, 08:55
...While on the subject, what other parts should I start replacing? and at what maintenance schedule?
S&W M&P Maintenance thread:

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=75512

Icculus
06-23-11, 09:10
Thanks for the info Grant.

S&W M&P Maintenance thread:

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=75512

Good link.

To maybe consolidate information here. I also found this link were Robb Jensen chimes in on the subject.
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19172