PDA

View Full Version : DD Micro Mount?

m4brian
06-22-11, 04:21
Any advantage in the long run over a QD mount?

wahoo95
06-22-11, 07:57
After taking a class where there was plenty of rain and fog I am now sold on the idea of sticking with a QD mount. My Aimpoint Micro lenses got so covered in rain water and fog that I could no longer see my red dot and was unable to clearly see my irons once deployed. The only way I could continue our drills on the 300yd pop up range was by being able to remove my Micro due to being mounted on a Larue QD mount. While that weather situation was not the norm it did show me what could happen so I would rather be prepared for it.

rob_s
06-22-11, 08:15
I am of the opposite opinion, having shot in pretty heavy rain and never encountered an issue with seeing through the optic.

My only use for throwlever mounts now is for the optics I mount on loaner guns as well as the fact that there are so few quality fixed mounts.

Rained pretty good in this class (hence the rain coat, obviously not raining in this pic) and never had an issue that I recall.
(LT lower 1/3 mount here, changed to DD fixed mount after this class)

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/rob_s/me%20shooting/10333_135282863103_505973103_247-1.jpg

wahoo95
06-22-11, 09:13
I was a bit surprised when it happened as were others in the class, however the instructor said that it was possible in the right conditions. The rain was so heavy that it made it tough to see the dot so many of us first resorted to covering the front lens however that didn't all that well either once the ready lenses started getting some fog from our breathing and the steam coming off the guns. Keep in mind this was not simply a CQB set up where targets were up and close. We were shooting at targets ranging from 25m out to 300m on a pop up range where they were only exposed for a few seconds. These were high round count drills so the guns were smoking pretty good. Like I said, I guess all of this factors kinda added up to present the visibility issue because I had never had an issue previously.

m4brian
06-22-11, 10:29
Just the normal vacillation before hitting order on a micro package. I like what I read on the ADM lever mount - ruggedness and ability to dismount and hold zero. But... like the looks, simplicity, and another SMALL weight savings on the DD mount - especially on my DD M4.

I was hoping to be able to MAYBE hook up the ADM mount without riser also on an Ultimak AK, but Grant (G&R) said that I'd need another mount - oh well.

So... DD still in play. Thanks all.

CC556
06-22-11, 11:11
After taking a class where there was plenty of rain and fog I am now sold on the idea of sticking with a QD mount. My Aimpoint Micro lenses got so covered in rain water and fog that I could no longer see my red dot and was unable to clearly see my irons once deployed. The only way I could continue our drills on the 300yd pop up range was by being able to remove my Micro due to being mounted on a Larue QD mount. While that weather situation was not the norm it did show me what could happen so I would rather be prepared for it.

I have witnessed exactly the same thing in the rain. I was at a class where it rained pretty hard and guys simply could not see through their Micros. The ones that had QD mounts removed them and shot with irons. The guys with non-QD mounts were stuck trying to wipe the lenses off constantly.

m4brian
06-22-11, 11:36
Of course, as a soldier, I've been in conditions where I had to take my glasses and or goggles off, because of freezing rain/sleet was actually caking as it hit. Central Europe can bite. Good point.

wahoo95
06-22-11, 12:48
I have witnessed exactly the same thing in the rain. I was at a class where it rained pretty hard and guys simply could not see through their Micros. The ones that had QD mounts removed them and shot with irons. The guys with non-QD mounts were stuck trying to wipe the lenses off constantly.

Yeah the day it happened to me the conditions were bad enough that it affected everyone to include Micros, Aimpoint CompM4, Eotechs, and a Trijicon TR24. I really do like the DD fixed mount for its simplicity and have built 2 rifles using them, however after my experience in that training class I've decided to stick to high quality QD mounts like Larue.

m4brian
06-22-11, 13:35
I've seen very good comments on the ADM also.

wahoo95
06-22-11, 13:49
I've seen very good comments on the ADM also.

Very good mounts indeed, howver I just prefer the one piece design of the Larue as it only involves one set of screws instead of two sets like the ADM.

ra2bach
06-22-11, 16:04
after watching the DD torture test video, where there were several impacts directly onto the optic as well as being run over twice, many people were impressed by the amount of abuse the T-1 absorbed.

I was impressed by the amount of abuse the DD mount absorbed and still held zero, only losing it after being dropped from a helicopter...

misanthropist
06-22-11, 16:41
I am also in the "had a micro obscured in heavy rains at a course" club.

I was able to keep it usable by constantly wiping the lenses with my gloved thumb, but it was definitely a pain. And if I had been shooting long range it probably would not have worked well enough.

CC556
06-22-11, 17:02
I am also in the "had a micro obscured in heavy rains at a course" club.

I was able to keep it usable by constantly wiping the lenses with my gloved thumb, but it was definitely a pain. And if I had been shooting long range it probably would not have worked well enough.

It's interesting that we now have 3 people in here with firsthand accounts of this. I say that because up until I saw it happen in my class I had never, ever heard anyone talk about it before.

m4brian
06-22-11, 17:45
From many a day/night spent in a field environment, I know that if the SHTF, it will rain hard, or sleet, or snow, and do it horizontally.

But, I do appreciate the simplicity and ruggedness of the DD mount...

m4brian
06-22-11, 20:46
(LT lower 1/3 mount here, changed to DD fixed mount after this class)

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/rob_s/me%20shooting/10333_135282863103_505973103_247-1.jpg

Rob: Why did you change? Any problem with lever mounts?

kartoffel
06-22-11, 21:21
It's interesting that we now have 3 people in here with firsthand accounts of this. I say that because up until I saw it happen in my class I had never, ever heard anyone talk about it before.

It's happened here, too. Probably could have lived with the water droplets and kept going, but I used it as an excuse to rip off the micro and exercise my irons.

P2000
06-22-11, 22:23
Very good mounts indeed, howver I just prefer the one piece design of the Larue as it only involves one set of screws instead of two sets like the ADM.

ADM also makes a one piece mount for the micros. That is what I went with.

http://www.operationparts.com/AAdm_American_Defense_Mfg_Aimpoint_T1_Mount_p/ad-t1-11.htm

ra2bach
06-22-11, 22:57
geez guys, nobody ever heard of Zooke http://www.zooke.com ?

it comes in a paste, drip, or spray. it works...

wahoo95
06-22-11, 23:09

My instructor said that many of those types of products can make things worse as they make the water bead up and stay on the lense

ra2bach
06-23-11, 10:54
My instructor said that many of those types of products can make things worse as they make the water bead up and stay on the lense

maybe. whatever, it keeps the fog away which is worse than drops of water. my experience is that the water beads up and rolls off. if it bothers me I shake the gun once to clear it and then recoil is sufficient to keep it free.

even if I had someone tell me it wouldn't work, I would give it a try to see if it makes an improvement. understand, shooting in the rain is never going to be perfect. it creates all manner of compromises. we just need to learn to adapt...

wahoo95
06-23-11, 11:13
maybe. whatever, it keeps the fog away which is worse than drops of water. my experience is that the water beads up and rolls off. if it bothers me I shake the gun once to clear it and then recoil is sufficient to keep it free.

even if I had someone tell me it wouldn't work, I would give it a try to see if it makes an improvement. understand, shooting in the rain is never going to be perfect. it creates all manner of compromises. we just need to learn to adapt...

I'll have to give it a try

misanthropist
06-23-11, 14:39

I will be the first to admit I had never heard of "Zooke".

I did grow up near a town called "Sooke" but I don't think they're related.

Anyway I will give it a shot...after lots of other people put it on their expensive optics and like it!

m4brian
06-23-11, 16:15
1) I do like the simplicity/ruggedness of the DD mount, but unless these is TROUBLE with lever mounts like the LT or ADM, I'm not seeing the advantage. We've had reports here of problems in heavy rain on a TRAINING course - I can only imagine in a real scenario, Murphy and nature working in tandem to make an optic a problem. So... lets here about problems with levers.

2) Before I smear a bunch of stuff on a lens worth several hundred, I'd like to verify that it is FINE with AIMPOINT's coating, etc.

Thanks all.