PDA

View Full Version : Glock 19 vs. M&P9c reliability

Linea_de_Fuego
10-19-07, 19:28
The long term serviceability of the Glock 19 platform is well documented. Many of you have them, and many of you have become enthusiastic about the M&P platform. So given the banter on the M&P board about issues with the platform. How well does the M&P compare with the Glock 19?

Granted the M&P trigger can be improved from box stock to become much better than the Glock and the ergonomics are improved. Do you all feel as a carry piece that one has an advantage over the other?

sgtlmj
10-19-07, 19:47
Between the two, I'd take the G19, and I love M&P's. The 9c is bigger than it needs to be IMHO.

For a subcompact 9mm, I'd stick with the G26 or the Kahr Mk9 or PM9 for deep concealment.

M4arc
10-19-07, 21:57
It's hard to say how much of the M&P9c issues are legitimate. It does appear to have some teething issues; dropping magazines & failure to feed immediately come to mind. I take all of that with a grain of salt.

I'm eventually going to get one because I'm very impressed with the size and ergonomics but I wouldn't even try to compare it to the G19 because that is one of the most popular and reliable Glocks and it wouldn't be fair to the M&P.

Linea_de_Fuego
10-19-07, 22:11
It's hard to say how much of the M&P9c issues are legitimate. It does appear to have some teething issues; dropping magazines & failure to feed immediately come to mind. I take all of that with a grain of salt.

I'm eventually going to get one because I'm very impressed with the size and ergonomics but I wouldn't even try to compare it to the G19 because that is one of the most popular and reliable Glocks and it wouldn't be fair to the M&P.
I agree that each pistol has unique features with it's own appeal. I really did not want to focus as much on these differences as much as reliability, which is hard to assess from internet comments. My local shop with attached range had sent their M&P pistols back for repair again. So I have not had a chance to shoot one yet.

M4arc
10-19-07, 22:16
I haven't seen too many full size M&Ps go back but the compacts seem to go back frequently. There are more than a few members @ mp-pistol.com that had to send theirs back more than once.

That's one reason why I purchased a G26 for summer carry several months ago. But I'm confident that S&W will work out the bugs. I'll just wait a little while longer...unless I come across a smoking deal ;)

Short Bus
10-24-07, 06:55
The long term serviceability of the Glock 19 platform is well documented. Many of you have them, and many of you have become enthusiastic about the M&P platform. So given the banter on the M&P board about issues with the platform. How well does the M&P compare with the Glock 19?

There's a thread over at 10-8 discussing what spare parts to have on hand for an M&P. Other people have had strikers and various springs break.

I know several people who are on the M&P bandwagon. They all own an M&P. They all carry a Glock.

I'm still reserving judgement on the M&P. I've never been an early adopter.

Hawkeye
10-24-07, 08:25
While I dont have a lot of rounds through my 9c yet, the first few hundred rounds have been 100% reliable. I love the size as its as small of a weapon as I'd own.
As for the rest of my M&P's, I havent had a single malfunction from any of them. I did make the switch from Glocks to M&P's and carry one daily.

Joe R.
10-24-07, 10:40
There's a thread over at 10-8 discussing what spare parts to have on hand for an M&P. Other people have had strikers and various springs break.

I know several people who are on the M&P bandwagon. They all own an M&P. They all carry a Glock.

I carried and maintained Glocks for quite a few years. Saw more then a few slide lock springs and trigger springs go south as well as some slides crack and a frame rail separation.

When the M&Ps came out I waited a bit for it to go through the teething pains all new guns suffer and then bought two in 9mm. After 5k through one and about 800 rds through the other I have had no parts failure and am carrying the gun as my duty pistol by choice. So no "they" don't all carry a Glock.

In response to the durability issue only time will tell for sure BUT the one piece chassis of the M&P should prove more durable then the molded in frame rails of the Glock, especially in .40.

S&WM&PAR15T
10-25-07, 13:08
I’ve been carrying a Glock since the early 80’s. The model 19 is one of my favorites. Its battle tested and has never let me down. I have a 1st generation 17L given to me by a Glock Rep. Back in the early 80’s. I have put over 75,000 rounds down its barrel. If you live in a warmer climate you might want to consider the 26. I carry the 26 during the summer or when vacationing in FL during the winter.
I like what S&W has done to charge the company. The M&P platform is a good one. I like being able to change the grip. I do know for a fact that they are still haven’t gotten the problems all corrected. Give them a couple more years. Until they are battle tested and proven I’ll stick with the Glock.
The M&P AR15’s now that’s another story. You just can’t beat the value for the money.