PDA

View Full Version : Takedown pin hole too small

mvelimir
06-22-11, 14:31
I worked on this a week ago and completely forgot about it until now. This is my third lower that I built and a very first one that I have any kind of problem with. Lower is from Del-Ton and LPK is from STAG. I assembled all the parts quickly and without any problems (trigger guard roll pin needed some convincing, but it got in and all is OK) until I got to put the takedown pin .... the bloody pin can't get in the hole!!!

I'm guessing that Del-Ton is at fault here, not STAG, but without really measuring and comparing with some other lowers and parts I can't be 100% sure. Anyway, I think what I have to do is to make that hole just a hair wider with some sand paper or to drive a correct size drill through.

What do you guys think?

mvelimir
06-22-11, 16:27
SOLVED!

Don't bother. I sprayed the pin with Ballistol and pushed it hard and it went through and now it's all OK. Probably rough annodizing caused a lot of friction.

Thanks for looking into anyway!

5pins
06-22-11, 16:38
My stag take down and pivot pins were also very tight when first installed but worked in nicely.

deadon57
06-26-11, 00:00
My stag take down and pivot pins were also very tight when first installed but worked in nicely.

I've noticed that when ever I do a build on a Stag lower, for myself and friends, the take down pin is super tight trying to get it out. So I avoid lower Stag receivers.

Bushmaster-M4A3
06-26-11, 01:59
Does this result in a tight fit between upper and lower? Or does this eventually wear in as well?

mark5pt56
06-26-11, 05:45
I always coat the parts with oil before assembly, helps alot. If the pin is supper tight, lube well and burnish the surfaces by pushing in/out numerous times to mate them. Be careful if having to tap the takedown pin out so you don't drive it so hard you crack the receiver by the detent rib.

5pins
06-26-11, 08:24
I've noticed that when ever I do a build on a Stag lower, for myself and friends, the take down pin is super tight trying to get it out. So I avoid lower Stag receivers.

The lower was not a Stag, just the LPK.

Dura Mater
06-29-11, 18:42
I just put together a Rock River lower with a Del-Ton upper and had both pins fit very tight. No way I was getting them out with my fingers. They were well oiled so I used a plastic punch to work them in and out about 20 times which had a slight effect. After about 100-150 rounds of shooting things loosened up really well. It still feels a bit tight but no problems getting it done without using tools.