PDA

View Full Version : Pulitzer-winning journalist Jose Antonio Vargas: I Am An Undocumented Immigrant

austinN4
06-22-11, 15:58
Jose Antonio Vargas: I Am An Undocumented Immigrant (Video & Story)
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/22/jose-antonio-vargas-undocumented-immigrant_n_882012.html

"Vargas used a fake driver's license when he first became a staff writer at The Washington Post. That license protected him for years; he even used it to get into the White House. He also used fake documents when he worked for The Huffington Post."

Edited to add: I read the NYT times article and he was brought here when he was 12 by a coyote his mother paid. He didn't know he was illegal until he was 16. But, he knowingly broke the law after that.

Redmanfms
06-23-11, 04:42
The contortions the commenters on PuffHo have to pose themselves in to justify this makes my head hurt.

http://www.myconfinedspace.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/my-brain-is-full-of-billians-and-billions-of-****.jpg

VooDoo6Actual
06-23-11, 13:19
Just the tip of the iceberg when the truth gets out about others as well...

Libtard mantra - "Fake it until you make it"...

Federal entitlement programs are like giving Morphine to a Heroin addict....

Me

variablebinary
06-23-11, 17:57
He should be instantly deported, after serving time for documents fraud

austinN4
06-23-11, 20:15
Yeah, I agree. But when you are 16 and find out you are illegal do you turn yourself in? I have thought about this a lot and think not. Doesn't make it right, though.

Packman73
06-23-11, 20:29
Mr. Vargas, GTFO.

kartoffel
06-23-11, 22:26
Yeah, I agree. But when you are 16 and find out you are illegal do you turn yourself in? I have thought about this a lot and think not. Doesn't make it right, though.

How about going through the naturalization process and becoming a citizen? Willfully flying under the radar is criminal, though I suppose we could let him slide for the crimes committed prior to his 18th birthday.

Mac5.56
06-23-11, 23:12
I always wonder how many of our ancestors were "undocumented"...

GermanSynergy
06-23-11, 23:35
They crossed the border from Canada under the watchful eyes of the Mounties, and were smuggled in on shrimp boats during the heady days of the Louisiana Purchase.

It surprises me not that Mr.Vargas worked for the Stalinist Washington Compost, and the Huffington Puffington Post.

kartoffel
06-23-11, 23:50

Probably quite a few. My great-grandmother "jumped the boat" as they say and bypassed Ellis Island. She married great-grandpa soon atfter, who had already become a US citizen, and soon became naturalized herself.

Back then, the whole point of coming to the USA was to become an American. What a crazy concept, right?

austinN4
06-24-11, 08:44
How about going through the naturalization process and becoming a citizen? Willfully flying under the radar is criminal, though I suppose we could let him slide for the crimes committed prior to his 18th birthday.
Yes, he is a criminal and it will be interesting to see how ICE handles it. He should be deported after serving time for breaking all of the other laws he did.

But my point was, that even though what you say is the right thing to do, it is still a very heavy choice for a 16 year old to make and I don't believe many would do so.

Are you saying that you, in his same situation at 16, would have stood up and said "I am illegal, deport me?"

The_War_Wagon
06-24-11, 09:00
Where does the line form, of people willing to kick his ass back across the border? I want IN. :mad:

Skyyr
06-24-11, 09:37

I wonder how many of them got wellfare from lying about who they were. :rolleyes:

RWBlue
06-24-11, 10:20

I believe the answer is join the military and become a citizen after 3 years.

The problem with illegal immigrants is not that they are bad people. It is that they are illegal. What this proves is, we don't know who is crossing our borders. Some are good people, some are bad people, we don't really know.

This also supports OTHER illegal activities. This guy admits to an underground of illegal activities.

austinN4
06-24-11, 11:51
Edited to rephrase question:

A potentially good solution in this situation, but how does this work when you are 16 and have no parent or legal guardian in the US? Maybe stay under the radar until 18, then join as you said, which would have been the more honorable thing to do than live your adult life as an illegal as he did.

Doc Safari
06-24-11, 11:59

The problem with illegal immigrants is not that they are bad people. It is that they are illegal. What this proves is, we don't know who is crossing our borders. Some are good people, some are bad people, we don't really know.

This also supports OTHER illegal activities. This guy admits to an underground of illegal activities.

I agree 100,000%. If a person crosses the border illegally, then they have already indicated a willingness to break the law.

austinN4
06-24-11, 12:03
I agree 100,000%. If a person crosses the border illegally, then they have already indicated a willingness to break the law.
Read his story - he was brought here when he was 12 with forged papers and thought he was legal until he was 16 when he found out his papers were forged.

Renegade
06-24-11, 12:55

And probably tax evasion, and host of other crimes you or I would do serious time for.

Doc Safari
06-24-11, 13:09
Read his story - he was brought here when he was 12 with forged papers and thought he was legal until he was 16 when he found out his papers were forged.

I don't think RWBlue was talking about this particular person, but illegals in general, and so was I.

This person could have tried to become legal at some point during his life, though.

austinN4
06-24-11, 13:43
This person could have tried to become legal at some point during his life, though.
How, other than being deported first (which I have nothing against)? Or serving in the military to which I already asked how one does that at 16 without a parent or legal guardian in this country.

And if being deported is his only option in his situation (Is it? I don't know), I can see how a scared 16 year old just finding out he was illegal would find that a difficult decision. But I am not saying it is right.

Doc Safari
06-24-11, 14:29
How, other than being deported first (which I have nothing against)? Or serving in the military to which I already asked how one does that at 16 without a parent or legal guardian in this country.

And if being deported is his only option in his situation (Is it? I don't know), I can see how a scared 16 year old just finding out he was illegal would find that a difficult decision. But I am not saying it is right.

That is not my problem. I could give a shit less if he becomes a citizen. But if he is here illegally, then I want him deported.

Next question.

austinN4
06-24-11, 15:34
That is not my problem.
No it is not your problem, but it seems having a rational discussion is. So no, no more questions. You are dismised.

Doc Safari
06-24-11, 15:38
No it is not your problem, but it seems having a rational discussion is. So no, no more questions. You are dismised.

No offense intended toward you, but I am tired of people trying to make it our responsibility to accomodate these people. :)

He needs to do what he needs to do if he wants to stay in the country.

I don't care how he suffers in the process.

Again, no offense toward you.