PDA

View Full Version : Best accessory for the money

christcorp
06-22-11, 20:09
We all talk about optics and eotech vs aimpoint vs trijicon, etc... We talk about stocks, buffers, magazines, rails, BUIS, etc... There's so many gadgets and tacticool accessories that there's an opinion on everything.

But the one accessory that I would suggest to anyone who owns ANY type of AR15, is a new Hogue Monogrip pistol grip. They can be bought for between $16-$26 depending where you buy it. Of all the accessories I can think of, this is the very best, and would be on my mandatory list. 1st item on the list. Not only is it so much more comfortable, but it actually stabilizes your shooting. It makes the rifle feel as if it absorbs your hand, and the two become one and the same. The only thing that could be equally great, would be if Hogue made a vertical grip out of the same material. They make a foregrip, but a vertical would be nice. For now, a traditional vertical grip with a $2 tennis racket grip sleeve, "Can be bought at walmart", is the next best thing. Anyway; if you haven't bought all your gadgets yet, consider getting a hogue pistol grip.

Code3Patriot
06-22-11, 20:32
Where's my popcorn...

seb5
06-22-11, 20:38
Really...............Well OK. Grips are like opinions, everybodies got one. I actually prefer Tango Down with Ergos as a second choice but I would never try to tell everyone that's it's the best, only my preference. You do know what you're asking for with this thread, don't you?:jester:

Apricotshot
06-22-11, 20:48
Ammo.

Backstop
06-22-11, 20:50
Of all the accessories I can think of, this is the very best, and would be on my mandatory list. 1st item on the list.

While I certainly do appreciate you taking the time to relate your opinion, the 1st item on my mandatory list is different.

As far as I'm concerned, the 1st mandatory accessory for an AR is a light.

Can't hit what I can't see.

Could please pass the popcorn down this way?

Chameleox
06-22-11, 20:57
Surprised no one's mentioned this yet.
Guaranteed to reduce split times, reload times, malfunction clearance times, and transition times.
Here (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/PACT-Club-Timer-III-p/pact%20xct3.htm).

snackgunner
06-22-11, 21:00
I think you just need to figure out what the best accessory is for you, for your rifle. I used to run my rifle with a pistol grip, but realized later that a KAC handstop is much better fit for me.

But I believe a sling is #1 followed by #2 a white light, when it comes to importance

Beat Trash
06-22-11, 21:01
2nd the white light.

Screw the popcorn, I've got the beer!

Ironman8
06-22-11, 21:32
Man you guys are actually being civil :D

I don't think a rifle can be considered a "fighting rifle" unless you have a sling, light, and some kind of sight system wether that's optics or irons...so it would be hard for me to "rank" those.

Grips are necessary for the function of the rifle, but are FAR down my list when it comes to having the latest and greatest...

jhs1969
06-22-11, 22:16
A Hogue pistol grip over an Aimpoint...yeah, right. What ever floats your boat.

First I'll say that my take on this site (M4C), is that the default position is to help gain and share knowledge for said carbines as applied to serious situations, be it HD/SD, security, patrol or any other such application. If your situation differs we are all better off if you make this other application known up front. The advice for a serious social carbine will/may be very different than for a High-power match rifle or a dirt plinker.

With that said lets move on. I'll first say that for carbines intended for such use, to start out with ammo, mags and training. Next I would recommend a quality RDS, white light and sling.

While personal preferences will apply to the above items/training, nearly everything else will be nearly all personal preferences.

As for the Hoge grip, I personally don't care for them nor the Ergo grip. But again this is just my personal preference.

Thomas M-4
06-22-11, 22:20
Grips , snips everybody has there opinion .
Best accessory for the money magpul gen III magazine followers.

christcorp
06-22-11, 22:23
I titled this thread "Best accessory for the MONEY". I've got hogue and other grips for many of my other firearms, and their OK. But for the AR, the hogue grip created a totally new experience. Easier to hold, aim, fire, and recoil from. For $16, for me, it is the best for the money. Am I going to compare it to a $500 optic or $150 light? Not really. But what you get for the money? Definitely. Never said it was the most important accessory. Just that for the money, it made a significant improvement. If you can't see that, that's OK. Not even asking that you agree with this particular grip. But compared to a stock grip, a good grip makes a significant difference. And it's very inexpensive. If you prefer a handstop or something else, that's fine. I was simply saying that if a person bought a new stock AR, that they should consider replacing the stock pistol grip with the hogue. For $16, it's a great improvement. And in my opinion, the best accessory for the money. Now if you want to put a $16 grip on the same plane as a $500 aimpoint/eotech or a $150 light, then go for it.

superr.stu
06-22-11, 22:26
White light.

At 0'dark:30 I won't care if my grip is a hand carved replica of Sean Connery's member...I will care whether or not I can light up what I may need to shoot.

JEL458
06-22-11, 22:33
[QUOTE=superr.stu;1029480]At 0'dark:30 I won't care if my grip is a hand carved replica of Sean Connery's memberQUOTE]

Now THAT's funny, thank you. A sling and a white light would be ahead of this for me as well. I also prefer TangoDown to Hogue, but to each his own.

PrivateCitizen
06-22-11, 22:35
The first accessory on any firearm is a competent shooter.

RPD03
06-22-11, 22:42
First item on my list would be a quality sling from whatever manufacturer you perfer. Next, but not by much, white light.

christcorp
06-22-11, 22:52
You all say "First on my list" as if it's something you have to save up for. For some, they do have to save up for a good light, or a good optic, etc... I'm talking about a freakin $16 item. Obviously you'all have no concept of time and space. Even if such a grip was LAST on your list, it's $16. If you have to save up for that, then you probably shouldn't have an AR. You probably should be taking care of your family's bills and keeping food on the table. Guess we have different LISTS. Or maybe it's that I don't think $16 is all that significant, and therefor I put that at the top of the "List" to get it out of the way. Whatever.

Ironman8
06-22-11, 22:56
I think where the problem is is you said "best ACCESSORY for the money" instead of best GRIP for the money....with all the AR "accessories" out there, there's bound to be people who will disagree with your original statement...

christcorp
06-22-11, 23:01
No, I meant best accessory for the money. The problem isn't what I said; the problem is a common problem. People like to compare apples to oranges and somehow come up with a fuel injector. They want to compare a $16 item, which is a significant improvement on the original part; and compare it to putting priority on buying a $150 flashlight or $500 optic.

But you are correct that there will be people who will disagree.

Iraqgunz
06-22-11, 23:05
This thing is headed down the dirt highway.