PDA

View Full Version : stock question (mildly long)

bornhunter04
06-23-11, 06:20
Okay, this may be a stupid question so if it is feel free to tell me.....

But i had an earlier thread about stiffening a 700-varmint stock up, as i'm a lefty and they're are few stock choices that don't cost 4-500+

So i was wondering could i take the following stock, http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-304/bell-carlson-tactical-remington/Detail

*B&C Tactical Medalist A3 Hook 2956

and cut out the channel for a left handed bolt while leaving the factory right handed cutout? Would this effect the strength of the action? I'm thinking that all of the internal forces of the rifle being fired are linear and move straight back against the recoil lug, pillars, and rear tang, so there's no side to side movement in the action.

Am I crazy or would this work? I just don't want to drop the coin on a manner's for this rifle (saving that for a custom build), so would this be a good cheap alt? I've searched this site and snipercentral and found one guy over there that asked the question but didn't get an answer. I figure you guys search the hide alot too so any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

mark5pt56
06-23-11, 06:25
To confirm it 100%, I would call someone like Manners and I'm sure they would help. I don't think it will hurt anything, the aluminum bedding block or pillars is the support, like your bone structure-you can be missing some skin and be just a strong.

Pock around the EE's and sometimes these items pop up.

bornhunter04
06-24-11, 01:02
that's what i was thinking. yeah it'd look weird, but i prefer functionality over looks first..... I was just hoping someone here would know for sure so i wouldn't have to bother manner's with such a question.

MistWolf
06-24-11, 05:24
Nothing wrong with filling in the R/H bolt relief cut

bornhunter04
06-24-11, 05:28
Nothing wrong with filling in the R/H bolt relief cut

little epoxy little paint done GTG