PDA

View Full Version : Apex Tactical Forward Set Sear and Trigger Kit Information UPDATE

Randy Lee
06-23-11, 13:54
Greetings all,

I wanted to post updated information regarding our FSS kit on a new thread so that it didn't get lost in the myriad of entries on the other related threads.

By now, some of you should have received your kits in the mail and are looking at the letter included with the kit and/or are looking at the fuzzy video on youtube.

We are attempting to get the Hi Def version of the video to process. Scott, our internet wizard was having issues with his laptop that hampered our ability to get the video uploaded in a timely manner.

The kit as it is delivered includes a newly designed sear spring (specifically for the .125" sear spring plunger fitted sear housing blocks found on current production guns, Pro models and MA compliant pistols), our Duty/Carry trigger return spring, the forward set sear, new geometry striker block safety plunger and spring, longer aluminum slave pin and a plastic Talon Tactical striker block plunger spring cover plate retaining tool. We have also included a lighter weight RAM spring in the kit for those who have our RAM pre-installed in their pistols.

If you use all the springs provided in the kit, your pull weight should be right around 4.75-5 lb. The new sear spring was necessary to bump the pull weight up into the 5 lb range. While our website says the kit is for competition use only, we opted to add the new sear spring because so many people requested a carry worthy version.

The sear has much greater leverage, so if you want a lighter pull, simply mix and match sear springs, striker springs and trigger return springs. For example installing the sear, trigger and striker block assembly in a Pro series pistol and using the stock springs should provide a DROP IN pull weight of 3.25 lbs. By using the trigger return spring provided in the kit, you should find that the pull weight is in the 3.75-4 lb range. For those running a thumb safety this may be more to your liking.

-Randy

DJK
06-23-11, 14:33
Randy,

Please clarify the options for those with the older sear block.

Thanks

Randy Lee
06-23-11, 15:42
Randy,

Please clarify the options for those with the older sear block.

Thanks

The kit will work with the old style sear blocks, however due to the possibility of sear bounce inherent in that spring size, we recommend either obtaining a new sear block or having yours modified to accept the larger sear spring and plunger. This removes the possibility of sear bounce causing a dead trigger.

-Randy

-

DJK
06-23-11, 16:11
The kit will work with the old style sear blocks, however due to the possibility of sear bounce inherent in that spring size, we recommend either obtaining a new sear block or having yours modified to accept the larger sear spring and plunger. This removes the possibility of sear bounce causing a dead trigger.

-Randy

-

Will Apex Tactical do the modification?

Randy Lee
06-23-11, 16:32
Hi,

Yes we will. We charge $25.00 for the procedure which includes the sear spring and plunger, and $7.50 return shipping.

-Randy

DJK
06-23-11, 16:45
Hi,

Yes we will. We charge $25.00 for the procedure which includes the sear spring and plunger, and $7.50 return shipping.

-Randy

Sounds like a bargain, thanks Randy.;)

Randy Lee
06-23-11, 16:46
Sounds like a bargain, thanks Randy.;)
You are absolutely welcome!

-Randy

Seraph
06-23-11, 17:22
Randy, I currently have an M&P 9 FS, with thumb safety, that's equipped with your USB, Hard Sear, and Comp Sear Spring (installed by G&R Tactical - thanks, Grant). This pistol has the smaller diameter sear spring and plunger. Is there anything about your Forward Set Sear and Trigger Kit that would be incompatible with my pistol, or that would cause the emergence of the "dead trigger" problem, on my pistol, that currently doesn't exhibit that problem?

calvin118
06-23-11, 17:36
If I understand correctly, using the full kit on a gun with an old style sear spring should yield a 3.75-4# trigger?

Randy Lee
06-23-11, 17:55
If I understand correctly, using the full kit on a gun with an old style sear spring should yield a 3.75-4# trigger?

That sounds about right.

-Randy

Randy Lee
06-23-11, 18:06
Randy, I currently have an M&P 9 FS, with thumb safety, that's equipped with your USB, Hard Sear, and Comp Sear Spring (installed by G&R Tactical - thanks, Grant). This pistol has the smaller diameter sear spring and plunger. Is there anything about your Forward Set Sear and Trigger Kit that would be incompatible with my pistol, or that would cause the emergence of the "dead trigger" problem, on my pistol, that currently doesn't exhibit that problem?

The FSS will work with the smaller spring and plunger, however anytime the over travel is reduced, the more sensitive the system is to sear bounce which could result in a dead trigger. That is why our kit only comes with the large sear spring. We feel that the small spring is inadequate to perform it's duties. You may not even experience the problem and therefore never have to worry about it.

-Randy

-Randy

ralph
06-23-11, 18:21
Randy..
a little off topic, but,any word on the Bar-Sto 9mm barrels?

Randy Lee
06-23-11, 18:32
Randy..
a little off topic, but,any word on the Bar-Sto 9mm barrels?

The second generation barrel is being fabricated now. Once I confirm the dimensions, the data goes to Irv.

I should be running the pre production barrel at the Steel Challenge in August.

-Randy

Sensei
06-23-11, 18:59
Randy, have you established a price to do the complete install of the FSS kit on a customer supplied gun. I'm itching to send you that M&P45, but need to make sure that I don't use too much of the baby's diaper/formula funds...

Randy Lee
06-23-11, 19:23
Randy, have you established a price to do the complete install of the FSS kit on a customer supplied gun. I'm itching to send you that M&P45, but need to make sure that I don't use too much of the baby's diaper/formula funds...

Hi,

We are charging the price of the kit plus $75.00 labor. Test fire and zero is $20.00.

It seems that the shipping is usually the killer...

-Randy

rjacobs
06-24-11, 01:08
Here is my review of the kit:

HOLY ****

That is all.

This thing is slick man. Hardest part of the install was getting the trigger pin hammered into place. I just kept thinking I was doing something wrong, but it all came together. Also gave me an excuse to detail clean my gun(I think 2000-2500 rounds at least since I cleaned it last).

PS: Randy, going to PM you, I got a bunch of extra parts, going to see if you want me to ship them back to you.

Put 100 rounds through it, pretty quickly too(at least for me). Headshots were part of failure drills. Need to get more trigger time, but so far so good. 7 yards.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/rjacobs1/IMG_20110623_180620.jpg

Sigmax
06-24-11, 18:18
Randy:

The references to 9mm only seemed to be taken off your website. Is this ready to rock on the m&p 45's?

I've got a midsize m&p 45 & a case of ammo waiting for it.

Randy Lee
06-24-11, 18:48
Randy:

The references to 9mm only seemed to be taken off your website. Is this ready to rock on the m&p 45's?

I've got a midsize m&p 45 & a case of ammo waiting for it.

We have installed the kit in a couple of 45s and it works fine.

In one gun, the trigger loop needed to be opened up by .005 in order for the striker to release as it didn't have enough over travel. After that it ran fine.

-Randy

Nevermiss
06-24-11, 22:27
I installed my FSS this evening and it is everything as described by Randy. I previously installed the RAM and comp trigger kit/sear with the lighter trigger spring.

I used the factory trigger spring with the New FSS/trigger and it seems to be about 3 lbs. As mentioned. I could not get off my Dawson rear adjustable sight to install the new USB and it appears I have the older style sear block as well.

I'll have my local smith muscle off my rear sight and install the new USB for me and send in my sear block to Apex to accommodate the larger sear spring ( I would hate to have my gun down in a match and these things just seem to happen to me).

The initial take up up is very short with a clean crisp break after a short smooth even pull and no over travel. The forward reset is also very short with a clean crisp audible reset ( I have the RAM installed).

I like the feel of the alum trigger without the articulating joint and it seems more forgiving of your index finger position compared to the stock trigger.

The comp trigger and M&P 9L definitely improved my performance compared to my Glock 34 and I think this new trigger/sear will make
even further improvements.

I have a custom 2011 9mm being built that should be finished in a month and it will be very interesting to compare these two pistols.

Thanks again Randy for bringing another great product to market.

BTW, I think having a hidef video on YouTube would be helpful(as you are working on) to someone doing this for the first time. Since I already installed the comp kit and watched your other videos for this, it really wasn't an issue for me. I would encourage other shooters who have never worked on their M&P to watch the 20 min video that Randy has, get some punches and give it a try.

Randy Lee
06-24-11, 22:48
Hi guys,

We have been uploading the hi def version all day and it's still going. DSL and wi fi is like trying to push a basketball through a garden hose! :mad:

It is still shows 1014 minutes to go...

Glad everyone is happy with the results. It took a while but I'm proud of what we produced.

-Randy

speedjunkie
07-21-11, 21:37
Hi Randy,

I heard somewhere that you're working on a few different trigger bars to adjust the over-travel and pre-travel characteristics of the trigger. When will that be available? I would love to see options for an IDPA SSP compliant trigger system. Thanks.

Ed