PDA

View Full Version : Learning Arabic

Travis B
06-23-11, 22:25
Since I'll hopefully be in ACUs within the next year and I'm wrapping up my Spanish studies, I'm looking to study something I may find useful. Does anyone have any great websites/study tools for learning the basics of Arabic? I've been studying this site (http://www.shariahprogram.ca/Arabic-alphabet.shtml) and it seems to be fairly straightforward (well backwards, compared to English). I know in the Army I'll have access to Rosetta Stone, so I don't really see the point in spending the money on it right now.

Thanks!

(Mods, if this needs to go somewhere else, please let me know)

GermanSynergy
06-23-11, 23:33
You can always enlist and attend DLI. I worked with a guy who did that, and the Iraqis laughed at his Arabic, esp when he called one guy a janitor (he meant to say sharpshooter).

Seriously, if you have the aptitude, see if you can get DLI in your contract, if languages are your thing.

Travis B
06-24-11, 08:00
You can always enlist and attend DLI. I worked with a guy who did that, and the Iraqis laughed at his Arabic, esp when he called one guy a janitor (he meant to say sharpshooter).

Seriously, if you have the aptitude, see if you can get DLI in your contract, if languages are your thing.

Can I do DLI as an officer? I'll have a BA in August so I'm heading to OCS.

Smuckatelli
06-24-11, 08:38
Are you in the service?

Have you committed to OCS? ...in other words signed the document, have a class scheduled.

If you are there are alot of software programs out there.

Do you know what MOS you want to be in? Enlisted are linguists, Officers are RAOs & FAOs. The Marines just started a program where SNCOs can become RAO & FAO but the Army doesn't have it.

I wouldn't count on Rosetta Stone being free much longer. If you really want to pick up a new language, you should probably look at the critical language list for each service. Arabic is on there but you might want to think about other languages also.

Watrdawg
06-24-11, 08:56
Getting DLI on your contract doesn't guarantee you will get Arabic. You have to take the DLAB,(Defense Language Aptitude Battery), and depending upon the results you will be placed in the appropriate language. The DLAB is a made up language. The test is a couple of hours long and each section gets progressivley more difficult with more and more grammer rules added in. When I took it they placed me in German. This was back in 85. Friends say it's still pretty much the same way. Arabic was also a 57 week course if I remember right. It was ranked with Mandarin Chinese, Russian, and Korean as the most difficult to learn.

I would go with Rosetta Stone now so that when you do have the ability to study it there will be a seemless transition.

Travis B
06-24-11, 09:06
I haven't signed yet, I'm waiting to go to MEPS again. I want to go MI. I was looking for the critical language list night before I posted the OP, but I couldn't find it. Do you have a link for me?

ICANHITHIMMAN
06-24-11, 09:47
My brother was just commissioned in MI last month I did the whole first salute thing for him.

Not sure how DLI works for officers. I think beacuse of your branch (if you get it) the SOLT school may be an option as well. But like all the other guys said you have to take the DLAB and its not easy it will twist your brain. Let me be clear when I say how ever a bad score on the DLAB does not define your ability to learn a new launage. The dumbest Arab speeks Arabic.

Thats said I had to re learn english before I could realy start to retain any of the info they were pushing at the SOLT school.

I would buy the roseta stone if you want to learn on your own. Even if you pass the DLAB with a score good enough to get selected for DLI it dosent me that you will get to go.

dhrith
06-24-11, 16:36
The DLAB is a crock of shit. Don't accept you can or CAN'T learn a language based on anything it says. It has to be the singular most stupid test I've ever taken. Yes there are officers at DLI. At least when I was there 20 some years ago. ;p Best language school on the planet, take advantage of it if you find yourself there. Plenty of time and facilities if you have the aptitude to pick up a third language easily if you're dedicated, on TOP of the one you go for, and there's no better place to do it. Skip the rosetta, over priced. There's at least two other programs out there now doing close enough to the same thing for 1/5th the price. If you're serious keep this post in mind, I'm pretty busy for a few weeks, but "MIGHT" have some extra arabic books and possibly tapes laying around if you want to pay for their shipping to you, just too busy to dig it out right now. Keep in mind DLI stuff will have a military orientation compared to the stuff from civilian channels. words for tanks, machine guns etc etc. Depending on your location I'd see if you could find anything from a local mosque or college to get you a boot strap.
Monterrey is definitely one fun ass time, lots of awesome memories from there.

HES
06-24-11, 17:17
I've heard from my wife that DLI was indeed "fun". So I've heard all of stories from her and our friends. I choose to look at that as a very long trip to Vegas

variablebinary
06-24-11, 18:47
Can I do DLI as an officer? I'll have a BA in August so I'm heading to OCS.

Not in my unit. Too expensive to send officers for the duration, especially if you flunk out.

I already asked and they said use CULP, Rosetta stone, and the last few years of my undergrad to pick up a language. However, where I am, if you can pass the DLPT in a Cat 1 or Cat 2, they will send officers to a local Pashto, and Arabic course which lasts between 6 months to 1.5 years, but you're still deployable and can go on AT.

Smuckatelli
06-24-11, 18:54
Has anyone tried this software:

http://www.alelo.com/tactical_language.html

variablebinary
06-24-11, 19:00
Has anyone tried this software:

http://www.alelo.com/tactical_language.html

Yes, it's pretty good, and highly interactive. They came out and gave a big demo to us, and gave us all access for free.

Smuckatelli
06-24-11, 19:04
Yes, it's pretty good, and highly interactive. They came out and gave a big demo to us, and gave us all access for free.

The government paid for an unlimited license and support (visits to show how to use it). We had them expand it to the desktop, iTouch, and avatars inside VBS-2.

Did you guys use the Iraqi, Pashto, or Dari?

variablebinary
06-24-11, 19:30
The government paid for an unlimited license and support (visits to show how to use it). We had them expand it to the desktop, iTouch, and avatars inside VBS-2.

Did you guys use the Iraqi, Pashto, or Dari?

I did Tactical Iraqi 5.2.

I haven't used it in awhile, because my unit said they needed French linguists more than anything else for Africa missions, so I've been working on that through school and Rosetta stone.

Smuckatelli
06-24-11, 20:04
I did Tactical Iraqi 5.2.

I haven't used it in awhile, because my unit said they needed French linguists more than anything else for Africa missions, so I've been working on that through school and Rosetta stone.

PM your rank & email to me, I direct them to give you access for downloading.

The Operational Language & Culture Training System (OLCTS) French has the speach recognizer, the initial training, and the interactive portions consist of initially landing at the airport in N'Djamena Airport and the final portion has you running a range with some Chadian Soldiers.

Once you have a user name & password you'll also be able to go to the iTunes store and download the OLCTS app, from there you can log onto the site again and download the content, this does not have the speach recognizer....we had them make it for sustainment training.

Heavy Metal
06-24-11, 20:58
IT'S EASY!!!! REPEAT AFTER ME: Dirka, Dirka, Mohammed Jihad!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wmw8UB4HCU

Travis B
06-24-11, 21:04

We're actually having a very constructive conversation. Please send your snide remarks elsewhere.

Smuckatelli
06-24-11, 21:09

That was funny ;)

Smuckatelli
06-24-11, 21:12
We're actually having a very constructive conversation. Please send your snide remarks elsewhere.

Relax, that was funny...and there was some cultural aspects/stereotypes that it brought out.

Never go into badguy country with your finger on the trigger...ya gotta make sure you have a valid target before you engage.

Heavy Metal
06-24-11, 21:25

Ok, I remember you now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrllCZw8jiM

mr_smiles
06-24-11, 22:14
Join a Mosque - and no I'm not being a smart ass.

Travis B
06-25-11, 17:41
Ok, I remember you now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrllCZw8jiM

haha perfect! Don't worry about the post earlier.

-Francis

Travis B
06-25-11, 17:43
Join a Mosque - and no I'm not being a smart ass.

Wouldn't I need to be pretty Muslim to join a Mosque?

mr_smiles
06-26-11, 18:59
Wouldn't I need to be pretty Muslim to join a Mosque?

Call around, tell them you might find your self in an Islamic country and want to learn more about the culture and customs and if they have any classes you can attend. Some will welcome it, others of course won't. Most moderate Mosques won't have a problem with you and will probably welcome you, as long as you're respectful and just be upfront as you might find you enjoy yourself and don't want to have to remember lies when socializing as to not misspeak.

Travis B
06-26-11, 19:06
Call around, tell them you might find your self in an Islamic country and want to learn more about the culture and customs and if they have any classes you can attend. Some will welcome it, others of course won't. Most moderate Mosques won't have a problem with you and will probably welcome you, as long as you're respectful and just be upfront as you might find you enjoy yourself and don't want to have to remember lies when socializing as to not misspeak.

I may just try that out. Thanks for the information!