PDA

View Full Version : Leupold MK4 1.5-5 ilum vs. Vortex Viper PST 1-4

Ovaj
06-24-11, 00:36
Hey guys, need some input about which way to go on the optics department for a recce type build. I have read reviews on both but im looking for first hand experiences.

The gun will be used for multi-gun, 300-400yd shooting and the ocational run and gun.

Price is no object.

Disregard which illum is better. Please coment on the reticle.

Thanks guys!

Alaskapopo
06-24-11, 01:09
Hey guys, need some input about which way to go on the optics department for a recce type build. I have read reviews on both but im looking for first hand experiences.

The gun will be used for multi-gun, 300-400yd shooting and the ocational run and gun.

Price is no object.

Disregard which illum is better. Please coment on the reticle.

Thanks guys!

I would go with the Vortex. Having 1x on the low end is much more important than having 5x on the top.
Pat

Ovaj
06-24-11, 01:17
Is it true, true 1x?

Thanks!

Alaskapopo
06-24-11, 02:26
Is it true, true 1x?

Thanks!

I looked through a friends and it seemed to be.
Pat

jwfuhrman
06-24-11, 09:49
idk man, I've been running the 1.5-5 for the last couple 3guns I've shot. the 1.5 really doesn't slow me down any with my shooting style, and the 5x does help a little with the 300 yard shots we have at one of the Clubs.

ICANHITHIMMAN
06-24-11, 10:04
If price is no object get the leupold its a better optic and its American made.

Singlestack Wonder
06-24-11, 10:10
I agree with the Viper PST. While the Viper's daytime illumination is far from Aimpoint or Swarovski brightness, it is still visible in most cases where the Leupold MR/T illumination is only visible in low light or dark conditions. However, you may also want to take a look at the Leupold VX-R Patrol Optic recently released. It uses the FireDot technology and does have a daylight visible illuminated dot. While I do not like the pushbutton illumination control, Leupold has taken a step in the right direction in recognizing the need for daylight visible reticles.

http://swfa.com/Leupold-Tactical-VX-R-Patrol-Riflescopes-C3600.aspx

Ovaj
06-24-11, 13:47
How bout glass quality?

Iv'e heard that Vortex really went all out on the quality of the PST 1-4, and everything i get when i ask about the MK4 1.5-5 is: Leupold is leupold... :/

How would they stack up side by side @ max power 4X on the PST and 5X on the MK4

Thanks guys!

Nightvisionary
06-24-11, 15:32
You just aren't going to find a good answer to your question as the only person who could answer it is one who owns and regularly uses both scopes.

Im pretty happy with my Leupold 1.5x5 MK 4.

Tzoid
06-24-11, 16:25
I have no experience with the Vortex but I owned the Leupold and I liked it but found the 1.5 too slow. I sold it and bought a NightForce with the FC-2 reticle and it's WAY faster than the Leuopold MR/T M2 reticle.........at least for me.

I hope I didn't confuse the OP but there are a ton of choices out there so take your time and test drive some if you can. :D

Ovaj
06-24-11, 22:26
Dont worry, when i said 'price is no object' i meant between the MK4 and the PST, NF is out of my range for now.

Right now having that 1x is kinda appealing, even more so since ive been hearing that the MK4 only goes to 4.5x

That said, is the MOA reticle on the PST workable enough to get hits on 1ft plates at 300-400yds?
Me doing my part of course ;)

Thanks guys!!

Tzoid
06-26-11, 18:53
For the price range why not the Trijicon TR-24 ? I have friends that have them and the glass is awesome and the reticle very fast.

If it's for 3 gun or 100 yards and in and you're trying to get quality at a lower price point the TR-24G or R is another great option.

SA80Dan
06-27-11, 14:26
That said, is the MOA reticle on the PST workable enough to get hits on 1ft plates at 300-400yds?
Me doing my part of course ;)

Thanks guys!!

Yes it is - the PST's reticle with sharp 1 MOA center dot and markings is, IMHO, better for the longer range stuff than some direct competitors. The top notch glass certainly helps as well for the longer ranges. In addition - there's more than one way to skin the cat with the PST, as the turrets are also extremely positive and precise and lend themselves to quick and easy adjustment.

cgbills
06-29-11, 14:53
I would go with the Vortex. Having 1x on the low end is much more important than having 5x on the top.
Pat

This!

I have a PST 1-4 and it is a true 1x. So much so that I can use it with almost the same speed for close up as my old EOTech. Also the reticle on the Vortex is great. I feel the glass on the Vortex is better as well.

FishingFool
06-29-11, 18:04
Its kinda hard to see the hash marks on the pst at 4x for holds. On paper its the best deal going for the price. However, the reticle on mine broke free and it turned counter clockwise 5 degrees 1 week before I left to go to the Texas Multigun Championships. Vortex responded quickly and sent me a replacement but I sold it and moved on. Same thing happened to another local shooter. Twice. Take that for what is worth.

shootist~
06-29-11, 18:12
Is it true, true 1x?

Thanks!

Yes - not at the end of the barrel, but at room distance and beyond it is.

I've used both - the Mk4 MR/T has a crisper image and is better (precision wise) at the longer ranges, with it's full crosshair to the center of the reticle.

The PST at 1x wins at 100 Yds in and especially at CQB. I use my PST for our short range 3G matches, but switch to the SPRish rifle with a NF 2.5-10 for the monthly long range 3G. There is no free brunch. :)

For longer range (>300 meters) on black targets only, the 1 black MOA dot (at 4x) on the PST is not as quick as a cross-hair. The PST has better illium than the MR/T, but it's still not enough to be useful in bright sun.

I would throw the Burris 1.5-6 into the mix to consider as well, although my use with one is very limited. 6x is very handy at 400+ and it has a a BDC reticle. Some of our better shooters are using the Burris 1.5-6 on .308s with good results, so they must be hardy. The image quality on the one I briefly played with was very good as well.

FWIW, the PST gave up nothing to the NF in a match to 330 Yds with highly visible steel (painted red), but at 450 with only half of a black 10" plate showing, the NF at to 7 or 8 power wins pretty big. (As it should, considering the price difference.)

An ACOG TA01 will do much more than get you to the dance as well, despite being fixed 4x. The image is sharper than any mentioned above as well - including the NF.

Warg
06-29-11, 18:30
Some do well with 1.5x at close range close. Personally, I have a difficult time with CQB stuff using anything > 1x as it's somewhat disorienting during transitions. Perhaps I'm getting old. You should definitely try the 1.5x out before you buy.

At least you have the mount figured out :D

I don't know what your budget is, but if you're looking in the sub $500 range and decide on 1-4x give the Burris Tac 30 a look too. Some good info here (http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=119196&st=0).