PDA

View Full Version : Just put in my order!

Glock13
06-24-11, 10:07
It will be my first AR! Went with the EAG Tactical from BCM in Flat Dark Earth. Website says they won't start shipping until early August though, so I will have to wait a bit! Other than ammo, is there anything else I will need for my first trip to the range?

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-M16-A4-AR15-Bravo-Company-carbine-EAG-Pat-Rogers-s/151.htm

Doc Safari
06-24-11, 10:11
Nice choice in a rifle! It was a bit spendy for me when I got my basic Model Zero BCM midlength, but now I kind of wish I'd saved for the one you got.

My regimen for trying out a rifle that I intend for serious use is to take the magazines I intend to use and several ammo types to the range. I would try both 5.56 loads and .223 loads of different brands to see how they do.

It's up to you at what round count/number of times you test a mag before you are confident, and you'll get various opinions on that.

Glock13
06-24-11, 10:14
Nice choice in a rifle! It was a bit spendy for me when I got my basic Model Zero BCM midlength, but now I kind of wish I'd saved for the one you got.

My regimen for trying out a rifle that I intend for serious use is to take the magazines I intend to use and several ammo types to the range. I would try both 5.56 loads and .223 loads of different brands to see how they do.

It's up to you at what round count/number of times you test a mag before you are confident, and you'll get various opinions on that.

Thanks! Just curious, how prone are ARs to jamming? The only other firearms I have are two Glocks and I have never had a jam.

Doc Safari
06-24-11, 10:18
Thanks! Just curious, how prone are ARs to jamming? The only other firearms I have are two Glocks and I have never had a jam.

If you're a newb there are two things I would do: run a dry patch through the bore just to get any factory gunk residue out before you fire live rounds, and put some lube on the rails of the bolt carrier, and slather the sides and locking lugs of the bolt pretty good.

An AR is not a Glock, but the consensus is that if properly lubed they will run pretty dirty. You got a good brand so don't sweat it.

Study online and/or paper manuals as much as you can concerning malfunctions while you wait for your rifle to come, but don't get paranoid about it. All guns can malfunction.

Start saving for some real instruction classes to learn proper techniques.

Everything I've told you us just the minimal prep you can do as a new AR owner.

Glock13
06-24-11, 10:24
If you're a newb there are two things I would do: run a dry patch through the bore just to get any factory gunk residue out before you fire live rounds, and put some lube on the rails of the bolt carrier, and slather the sides and locking lugs of the bolt pretty good.

An AR is not a Glock, but the consensus is that if properly lubed they will run pretty dirty. You got a good brand so don't sweat it.

Study online and/or paper manuals as much as you can concerning malfunctions while you wait for your rifle to come, but don't get paranoid about it. All guns can malfunction.

Start saving for some real instruction classes to learn proper techniques.

Everything I've told you us just the minimal prep you can do as a new AR owner.

Thanks for the info! I'm going to try to use the $200 gift certificate for an EAG tactical class ASAP as well. Will take your advice!

shaneinhisroom
06-24-11, 11:37
Congrats! How much was that rifle? I can't find a price on the site. Do you plan on putting an optic on it?

Failure2Stop
06-24-11, 12:10
Other than ammo, is there anything else I will need for my first trip to the range?

Please read the existing stickies and search the site.
There is a wealth of information here, take advantage of what has been said without asking everyone to rehash. That's why the stickies exist; to give you as much information as possible on frequent/technical topics.

Having some background prior to asking questions will prepare you for the answers.

Glock13
06-24-11, 12:23
Congrats! How much was that rifle? I can't find a price on the site. Do you plan on putting an optic on it?

Thanks man! I'm looking forward to getting it. It runs $1995 + $30 for shipping. I had a gift certificate for BCM so that reduced my out-of-pocket. They also give you a $200 gift certificate for an EAG training class. I do plan on putting an optic on it, but I still have to research that part of it.

brzusa.1911
06-24-11, 12:29
Really nice looking rifle...now the wait begins. Congratulations!

BCmJUnKie
06-24-11, 12:59
Dont put an Optic on for awhile. You need to learn Iron's first. You will get dependent on using it. PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE. You should not even be looking for any kind of optic yet. And let me say congrats on that rifle. Very good choice

shaneinhisroom
06-24-11, 13:30
Dont put an Optic on for awhile. You need to learn Iron's first. You will get dependent on using it. PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE. You should not even be looking for any kind of optic yet. And let me say congrats on that rifle. Very good choice

I agree if he were completely new to firearms. I just wasn't sure if he has prior handgun/long gun experience. Either way, if you're looking at a defensive optic, Aimpoint T-1 is what I have and is completely AWESOME.

WBAR
07-10-11, 16:53
Nice purchase! Please share your impressions & pics when you get it.

steven37
07-10-11, 19:14
Good choice on your first ar! Definitely post pics when you get it.

jcemt
07-23-11, 19:52
Excellent choice! Don't forget pics when you get it.