PDA

View Full Version : Custom CHF Barrel Source?

EzGoingKev
06-24-11, 16:22
Are there any companies out there offering CHF built to the customer's specs such as profile, chamber, etc?

Travis B
06-24-11, 17:51
Try Centurion or White Oak

SomeOtherGuy
06-24-11, 22:27
Are you looking for 1 or 2, or a real production run?

For a real production run, it would probably be worth calling Daniel Defense and FNH USA, and possibly Ruger also. I expect there would be sizable order minimums and tooling cost.

For just one or two barrels, the companies mentioned in the previous post, and perhaps see if DD, FN or Ruger would sell you a blank. There are difficulties with one-off hammer forged barrels; namely:
1) Some hammer-forging processes include forming the chamber, so you would need to either get a forged blank without the chamber formed, or with a chamber smaller than your intended final dimensions. I suppose it might be possible to shorten a finished barrel slightly to rechamber.
2) Machining a forged barrel after the forging process can alter the internal dimensions, for good or bad. Your desired final contour might not be a good idea if it isn't compatible, due to final internal dimensions, with the starting forged barrel.

A great deal of information on hammer forged barrels and the process can be found at:
http://technology.calumet.purdue.edu/met/higley/

EzGoingKev
06-25-11, 07:16
Try Centurion or White Oak
I have emailed both of them. Thanks.

Are you looking for 1 or 2, or a real production run?

I am not looking for a production run.

Travis B
06-25-11, 07:25
I have emailed both of them. Thanks.

When you get it in, don't forget pictures!

EzGoingKev
06-25-11, 07:34
When you get it in, don't forget pictures!
It is more like if I can get it.

Monty at White Oak has advised me they cannot provide me exactly with what I am looking for but did offer an alternative that is close to what I am looking for.

Travis B
06-25-11, 07:40
It is more like if I can get it.

Monty at White Oak has advised me they cannot provide me exactly with what I am looking for but did offer an alternative that is close to what I am looking for.

Try Hart (http://www.hartbarrels.com/ar-15.php), I forgot about them in my original post.

This thread lists them as the best for custom barrels.
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=42978

EzGoingKev
06-25-11, 08:06
Try Hart (http://www.hartbarrels.com/ar-15.php), I forgot about them in my original post.

I looked on their site and it looks like all they do is stainless. Are you sure they do CHF?

Travis B
06-25-11, 08:13
I looked on their site and it looks like all they do is stainless. Are you sure they do CHF?

Lo siento! I'm working on a Spanish composition so I was too scatterbrained to remember that you were specifically looking for CHF. Another route is to buy a CHF blank and get someone to machine it for you, or wait for ar15barrels.com to start taking custom orders again.

EzGoingKev
06-25-11, 08:17
Another route is to buy a CHF blank and get someone to machine it for you, or wait for ar15barrels.com to start taking custom orders again.
My first choice is to buy a barrel made to my specs. If I cannot I would take a bull barrel and have it machined.

I did email Randall @ AR15barrels.com but did not receive a reply.

Travis B
06-25-11, 08:18
My first choice is to buy a barrel made to my specs. If I cannot I would take a bull barrel and have it machined.

I did email Randall @ AR15barrels.com but did not receive a reply.

Out of curiosity, what specifics are you looking for in your barrel?

EzGoingKev
06-25-11, 10:08
The basics are a 16" CHF barrel, 1/7 twist chrome lined bore, mid-length gas system, Wylde chamber, and a barrel profile of my own specs.

Depending upon the lead time and price I might purchase an additional 14.5" length barrel with the same specs.

MarkG
06-25-11, 11:06
I am not looking for a production run.

That's why you won't find what you are looking for.

mpom
06-25-11, 13:48
You sure it is Monty at White Oak? Thought John Holliger ran WO and Monty ran Centurion. Just wondering.

Mark

EzGoingKev
06-25-11, 20:01
You sure it is Monty at White Oak? Thought John Holliger ran WO and Monty ran Centurion. Just wondering.

Mark
You are correct regarding Monty, I got it wrong.

MistWolf
06-25-11, 22:46
Curious as to the profile you want. Light? Mid? Heavy?

EzGoingKev
06-27-11, 17:12
I received an email from John Holliger @ White Oak advising they do not do CHF chrome line barrels.

Travis B
06-27-11, 17:15
I received an email from John Holliger @ White Oak advising they do not do CHF chrome line barrels.

I thought they did. Sorry about that!

SomeOtherGuy
06-27-11, 19:11
The basics are a 16" CHF barrel, 1/7 twist chrome lined bore, mid-length gas system, Wylde chamber, and a barrel profile of my own specs.

Depending upon the lead time and price I might purchase an additional 14.5" length barrel with the same specs.

Noveske has standard production CHF barrels that meet most of your requirements, depending what your desired profile is. I don't believe their chamber is specifically a Wylde but it's something that's compatible with 5.56 NATO ammunition and chosen for accuracy as well.

EzGoingKev
06-27-11, 19:39
Noveske has standard production CHF barrels that meet most of your requirements, depending what your desired profile is. I don't believe their chamber is specifically a Wylde but it's something that's compatible with 5.56 NATO ammunition and chosen for accuracy as well.
I started out looking for a 16" Noveske mid length w/ lo pro gas block and have not been able to find one.

I thought it might be easier to go this route.

rauchman
06-27-11, 21:52
Perhaps it would be easier to go w/ a production run. List out your specs, get enough people interested and, maybe Centurion or one of the other companies will make a batch.

If your barrel specs are anywhere near having a more medium-heavy area from receiver to gas block and then light to medium from gas block to muzzle. Possibly w/ flutes or other, yeah, I'm in.

I would think you could find enough people interested to do a small production run of whatever profile you wanted.

SomeOtherGuy
06-27-11, 22:12
If your barrel specs are anywhere near having a more medium-heavy area from receiver to gas block and then light to medium from gas block to muzzle. Possibly w/ flutes or other, yeah, I'm in.

Sounds like Daniel Defense's strength-2-weight (S2W) profile:

https://danieldefense.com/cold-hammer-forged-barrels/18-inch-chf-barrels/18-5-56mm-s2w-mid-length-chf-barrel-stripped.html

It looks like they currently make an 18" version in both 5.56 and 6.8mm, and a 16" only in 6.8mm for now (all have midlength gas). Maybe they could do a 5.56 in 16"?

Dirtyboy333
06-27-11, 23:02
Wow..... i have been seeing alot of mention lately of "S2W" and i never knew what the heck it was.

Thanks for the link......I really like the S2W profile. It has a nice taper like the 556 barrels.

elephantrider
06-28-11, 00:35
Noveske used to produce a CL hammer forged barrel in med/heavy "Recon" profile. Now they just produce the lighter "Recce" profile. Both of these are about as accurate as you will find in a chrome lined hammer forged barrel. Just bumped into one of older Recon barrels (as part of an upper) for sale on TOS.

SomeOtherGuy
06-28-11, 08:53
Wow..... i have been seeing alot of mention lately of "S2W" and i never knew what the heck it was.

Thanks for the link......I really like the S2W profile. It has a nice taper like the 556 barrels.

I think S2W is a better design for most purposes than the standard "government profile" (thinner under the handguards, thicker from gas block to muzzle threads) and I have to imagine that Daniel Defense does too since they came up with it. Wouldn't hurt to email them and ask if they're going to produce a 5.56mm 16" barrel in that profile.

EzGoingKev
06-28-11, 11:25
While I do not have any testing or anything behind this, I just don't think the M4 profile makes sense.

rauchman
06-28-11, 12:16
While I do not have any testing or anything behind this, I just don't think the M4 profile makes sense.
+1

Again, I think a heavier section from receiver to gas block and then thinner section from gas block to muzzle makes more sense.

rauchman
06-28-11, 12:18
Sounds like Daniel Defense's strength-2-weight (S2W) profile:

https://danieldefense.com/cold-hammer-forged-barrels/18-inch-chf-barrels/18-5-56mm-s2w-mid-length-chf-barrel-stripped.html

It looks like they currently make an 18" version in both 5.56 and 6.8mm, and a 16" only in 6.8mm for now (all have midlength gas). Maybe they could do a 5.56 in 16"?

Yup, that would fit the bill. Also, Sabre Defense had an 18" midlength that was heavier in the back w/ flutes that was known for being a tack driver.