PDA

View Full Version : SIG 556 questions

DocMinster
10-20-07, 11:10
Does anyone have any input/info on the Sig 556?

Other than it’s not as good as our AR M4ergy's ;)

What I am looking for...other than reliability concerns the first thing that comes to mind is workmanship.
and component quality like if those key part were MP tested etc.

I am looking forward to your input :confused:

Doc

IrishDevil
10-20-07, 19:20
Overall I like the 556, only real complaint is the mag release is a bit of a reach for me. I ran 200 rounds through a friends today. I'd like to see a real Sig folding stock on it though and a smaller grip.

Colt6920
10-20-07, 23:02
Just picked one up today with the flip up style sights on it. Seem well made. I was really just looking for something different and passed over a fn2000 for $2300.

I think I will get the quadrail handguard[if it is a simple do it yourself op] and a magpul stock. Probably the ubr or whatever it is called[the one everyone is waiting on.

Undecided between my eo and aimpoint as a optic on it.

Just wanted to add a little spice to the collection since I am well stocked with AR's and all the extra's I might need.

I will take it out maybe tommorow and run a few hundred through it and report back.

coffinman
10-21-07, 14:24
I haven't shot either of my M4's since I got my 556. It just feels better to me. The system is way easier to clean, accuracy is the same if not better in my opinion, AK system is more reliable.....my 2 cents

Colt6920
10-21-07, 16:46
Shot mine some today. First time out with it... I just used the flip ups that come with it before I get the paper and the rangefinder out and sight the aimpoint in.

Nice trigger... makes me think of it as a glock/1911 hybrid. Easy light pull then a crisp *click*.

Very smooth recoil, hardly any muzzle rise.

Only shot a few[30) rounds but when I took it apart it looked as clean as I had it last nite. No function problems.

Next time out I will run a few hundred rounds through it and get a little better feel for it.

markm
10-21-07, 17:24
Here is the best review of the Sig 556 that I've found...

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78

DocMinster
10-21-07, 19:25
Shot mine some today. First time out with it... I just used the flip ups that come with it before I get the paper and the rangefinder out and sight the aimpoint in.

Nice trigger... makes me think of it as a glock/1911 hybrid. Easy light pull then a crisp *click*.

Very smooth recoil, hardly any muzzle rise.

Only shot a few[30) rounds but when I took it apart it looked as clean as I had it last nite. No function problems.

Next time out I will run a few hundred rounds through it and get a little better feel for it.

Looking forward to a report!!
:)

The Dumb Gun Collector
10-21-07, 20:02
I have owned one for a few months. I have owned or owned most of the popular assault-type rifles. I find the 556 to be excellent. The ambi selector is much better, imho than the ARs. I have no difficulty using it. However, I could see how a die-hard AR guy could dislike it. The only minor flaw I see in it is the extra reach involved in mag releases. This could be solved if someone would come out with a slightly extended button. Mine did not have the back-up sights so I installed a larue/troy combo which is superb. If you do your part the gun will shoot a group less than 1 inch at 100 yards.

Next, the trigger. The SIG's trigger is much, much, much better than a stock AR, trigger, IMHO.

I really enjoy mine. I am probably going to bring it to the Pat Roger's carbine course in Dec.

I think most of the complaining is just because it isn't what folks are used to.

http://web.mac.com/timetravelfoundation/iWeb/The%20LAMP/Gun%20Pics_files/P1010009_4.jpg

Shihan
10-22-07, 14:12
Overall I like the 556, only real complaint is the mag release is a bit of a reach for me. I ran 200 rounds through a friends today. I'd like to see a real Sig folding stock on it though and a smaller grip.

Im glad im not the only one who has problems with the mag release. I have average size hands and cant activate it without a hand reposition. I went to buy one when they came out and the mag release was the deal breaker.

Mike729
10-22-07, 15:09
I have had one for several months, 17xx s/n range, and I'd say it's had about 600 rounds through it. It's never had a hiccup of any kind.

As P7guru stated, the issue with the 556 is not what it is, but "what it isn't". It's not a 551 identical twin and it's not an AR. Therefore, it isn't many things to many people, but I'd say give one a try and decide for yourself.

It's a fun rifle, though it is front-heavy, and the stock handguards make it seem more bulky. I installed a Grip Pod on mine.

The trigger is very good, but I agree about the selector & mag release comments above. In fact, the mag release button doesn't protrude as much as an AR button.

Another thing is that it doesn't seem to suppress as well as an AR, even a 6933 SBR, but that's just to my untrained ear, using an AAC M42K can.

There's a ton of information on sigforum.com, but you'll have to sift through and ignore a few 556 bashing treads and individuals.

tinfinger
10-22-07, 17:46
I've been told...that piston activated rifles will not suppress as well as DI.

In a DI, the gas goes through the block and "relatively" wayyyy down the gas tube. Lotsa stuff happens during that time, mainly I think the barrel pressure drops quite a bit.

All piston-driven items, such as an FAL or (gasp) a Mini-14, draw the gas off the barrel, slam the piston back and vent out a gas port. That gas port is usually towards the end of the barrel, venting when the barrel pressure is still relatively high. Thus, alot of sound comes out the vent port.

I think it is somewhat similar to blowback pistols generally not suppressing as well as breech lock pistols, because the slide starts going back instantly, opening a "crack" in the chamber and venting at somewhat high pressure (noise).