PDA

View Full Version : Glock 19 magazine

acaixguard
06-24-11, 21:07
Just picked up a new G19, plus a spare mag for a total of 3. I noticed on one of the magazines, it wasn't particularly difficult to load the 15th round. Whereas the other two, it took much thumb strength. Is this a sign of a weaker mag spring off the bat?

I also noticed that in the .40 Glocks I've had, it was WAY harder to load the last round in the magazine. As in, I needed a mag loader, and even then, it was tough.

Thanks for any advice!

ucrt
06-24-11, 21:48

Are they all factory GLOCK mags?

acaixguard
06-24-11, 21:52
Yep, factory mags that are brand new.

Heavy Metal
06-24-11, 22:04
My advice is to run all glock mags downloaded by one round.

They will seat easier with the slide forward, you won't bust your thumb loading the last round and the spring will last longer not being fully compressed each cycle.

motoduck
06-25-11, 03:07
As the mags reach capacity the spring coils like to bind on each other. If you slam the bottom of the mag on the palm of your hand (or other surface) it usually frees the coils up making the last round or two much easier to load.

Crow Hunter
06-25-11, 09:04
My advice is to run all glock mags downloaded by one round.

They will seat easier with the slide forward, you won't bust your thumb loading the last round and the spring will last longer not being fully compressed each cycle.

Having a wife that shoots a G19, and having gone through a high count training class with her, this was drilled into my head AND reinforced EVERYTIME we came back to stuff magazines.:rolleyes: You don't want to make your wife fumble a one handed reload because she can't get the mag seated, it isn't pretty.:D

A fully loaded mag can be a bitch to get seated, especially under time constraints. A -1 mag, slips right in a locks up with practically no hand pressure.

Backstop
06-25-11, 09:18
I'm another one: I download my G19 mags to 14.

All my G19 mags are factory stock (no aftermarket parts) and have the #6 followers.

15 is not extremely difficult to seat, but it's enough that I slow down my reloads because I want to be sure the mag is fully seated.

I don't know why the mags are like that, nor do I care.

skyugo
06-25-11, 11:54
i usually do 15+1 in the gun and 14 in my spare. I'd rather have a fully seated mag with 14 in it than a full one on the floor. :eek:

they do tend to break in and seat 15 no problem though.

Heavy Metal
06-25-11, 12:27
I tend to have 16 in my spare magazine.

I just use a Glock 17 mag for a spare. After you have fired the mag in the gun, the need for concealment has evaporated.

Glock 17 mags work fine in 19's. The reverse isn't true, however.

GLOCKMASTER
06-25-11, 12:41
I just use a Glock 17 mag for a spare. After you have fired the mag in the gun, the need for concealment has evaporated.

Yea but you have to be careful because you could have an over insertion problem with the longer magazine.:jester::lol:

:no:

Axcelea
06-25-11, 13:34
I just load them up all the way, problem with seating more comes from the initial loading if the slide is forward, combat reloads and the slide is almost always locked back. Not to mention I don't really have problems seating full magazines.

As for the topic, that third mag does sound weird for a new glock factory mag. Might want to test it out some and see if it gives any conniptions, can also take the spring out and compare it to the others.

acaixguard
06-25-11, 19:17
Thanks for the replies!

Also just wondering, does anyone bother replacing the factory mag springs with the Wolff extra power ones?

Heavy Metal
06-25-11, 19:42
Yea but you have to be careful because you could have an over insertion problem with the longer magazine.:jester::lol:

:no:

People, note the emoticons. He is joking, not serious. There are no over-insertion issues. That is an old internet urban myth.

Heavy Metal
06-25-11, 19:43
Thanks for the replies!

Also just wondering, does anyone bother replacing the factory mag springs with the Wolff extra power ones?

Nope.

Loading one short means an easy life for your mag springs, never going to full compression.

Grizzly16
06-25-11, 19:55
I tend to have 16 in my spare magazine.

This is what I do on my g27. I carry the +1 extended pinky mag in the gun and a g22 mag or two for reloading.

GLOCKMASTER
06-25-11, 20:06
Thanks for the replies!

I do because I use Glock + mag extensions and the factory spring is just not strong enough with the extensions.

GLOCKMASTER
06-25-11, 20:07
People, note the emoticons. He is joking, not serious. There are no over-insertion issues. That is an old internet urban myth.

Yes I was and glad you caught on to it. BTW....I like the sig line.

Heavy Metal
06-25-11, 20:25
It's not as good as my definition of stress I posted on your Facebook but I stole it!:D

It is really indicitive of my brothers response to seeing the movie and mine.

Stan saw the movie and bought a Bear 76er. I still have it around here somewhere.

acaixguard
06-26-11, 08:21
I pulled out the mag spring and compared to one of the other ones, and the length appears the same.

acaixguard
06-27-11, 15:39
I actually didn't notice this at first, but one of the mags I got was a Gen 3 one, while the other were Gen 4 (with the ambi mag cutout). Anyhow, I discovered something else after putting the mags into my kydex mag pouches. The pouches need to be tightened to securely hold the gen 3 mag, so it seems that the Gen 4 mag is ever so slightly wider/thicker. Has anyone else noticed this?

Both versions fit and fire fine from the gun though :)

J8127
06-27-11, 15:42
Another fix for this problem is to go to the gym, and insert fresh magazines like a man.

Downloading by one won't make your springs last longer or any of that crap, it just leaves you a round short.

cgcorrea
06-27-11, 15:59
I gotta say, I agree with J8127 on this one. I've never had a problem fully loading even the newest of mags, with my thumb and forefinger, or seating a full mag on a closed slide. And this is the first I've ever heard of a functional benefit for down loading a Glock mag.

Magic_Salad0892
06-27-11, 16:09
Downloading your magazine provides a functional advantage.

Reloads can be faster, and magazine springs will last longer.

However, I don't care and load all my magazines to full capacity.

Why?

Under stress (time) I slam magazines in the gun. Kind of hard, but not hard enough to damage anything, this is part of being fast.

I usually never reload on a closed slide.

I replace all magazine springs once a year. I've been doing this for the past three years.

I use Pierce Grip PG-19 grip extensions though, because they look cool, and feel awesome. I also tend to shoot faster with them installed. I don't know why.

The significant part about them, is that they give me a little more space to grab on, and the flat part takes up more of my palm, and I can really force it into the gun.

I love it, and full capacity magazines are what I'm comfortable with.

I apply this to AR magazines as well.

Crow Hunter
06-27-11, 17:57
Another fix for this problem is to go to the gym, and insert fresh magazines like a man.

Downloading by one won't make your springs last longer or any of that crap, it just leaves you a round short.

What if you aren't a man? :D

I took a 2 day high round count training class in the rain and the mud with my wife.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh256/anewbill/532346424_tacticalresponse-1780.jpg

She DID have difficulty seating a mag 100% of the time. She had alot of difficulty seating the mag in a 1 handed reload. When I downloaded to 14, her problems went away.

My wife is an integral part of our home defensive plan and I don't want to handicap her, especially if she might be shooting to save my life.

I have personally noticed that in akward positions or when I can't "slam" the basepad, I don't always feel the "click"100% of the time. Especially on a new mag.

I personally would rather have 100% chance of reloading 14 than a 95% chance of 15.

Of course your training and experience may surpass mine and you might disagree. But you do whatever makes you comfortable.

And thanks for giving me the opportunity to post pictures of my HOT wife. :lol:

J8127
06-27-11, 18:13
I'm by no means good and it's hard for me to load my G21 magazines all the way or close slide load a full magazine too, and I'm 200lbs of studliness. During my last handgun class it was too painful for me to load my magazines past about 10 rounds after the first day, my thumb HURT (it was cold and I wasn't wearing gloves!). My girlfriend can barely get 8 rounds in on a good day, so I understand, really, I'm just not compassionate about it, if I can have 14 rounds, I'm going to have 14 rounds.

But that's a 2,000 round training class, the weapon sitting in my nightstand has all the time in the world for me to muscle a few magazines and ensure the magazine is seated properly. Reloading with the slide back there is no issue, and like I said I don't buy into the magazine spring stuff.

Crow Hunter
06-27-11, 19:50
I'm by no means good and it's hard for me to load my G21 magazines all the way or close slide load a full magazine too, and I'm 200lbs of studliness. During my last handgun class it was too painful for me to load my magazines past about 10 rounds after the first day, my thumb HURT (it was cold and I wasn't wearing gloves!). My girlfriend can barely get 8 rounds in on a good day, so I understand, really, I'm just not compassionate about it, if I can have 14 rounds, I'm going to have 14 rounds.

But that's a 2,000 round training class, the weapon sitting in my nightstand has all the time in the world for me to muscle a few magazines and ensure the magazine is seated properly. Reloading with the slide back there is no issue, and like I said I don't buy into the magazine spring stuff.

Now if you are talking about the mag in the gun. Yes. I agree. I top mine off so that I have 16 rounds total in the gun.

But all my spares are downloaded by 1. That way if I ever have to do reload with the slide closed, I KNOW it will seat for me OR my wife.

Magic_Salad0892
06-27-11, 20:45
And thanks for giving me the opportunity to post pictures of my HOT wife. :lol:

Not a great picture to judge by, but she does look cute.

It seems you, and I get to be part of the lucky camp who's significant other enjoys shooting.

I love not having to hide purchases from the woman.

Heavy Metal
06-27-11, 20:58

It will indeed make your springs last longer. A significant percentage of the compression of a spring is that last round. The compression of a spring is not a linear function.

Crow Hunter
06-27-11, 21:04
Not a great picture to judge by, but she does look cute.

It seems you, and I get to be part of the lucky camp who's significant other enjoys shooting.

I love not having to hide purchases from the woman.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh256/anewbill/Me1.jpg

She isn't as into guns as I am but she loves her Gock and she shoots that and the conversion pretty much exclusively. It was actually her idea to go to the shooting class.

It is pretty cool to hear her make comments about the poor tactics in action movies. :D

Now if I could just get her to try the AR. She is left eye dominant and bad shotgun experience has soured her on long guns.:mad:

Sorry for the thread drift.

Magic_Salad0892
06-28-11, 09:30
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh256/anewbill/Me1.jpg

She isn't as into guns as I am but she loves her Gock and she shoots that and the conversion pretty much exclusively. It was actually her idea to go to the shooting class.

It is pretty cool to hear her make comments about the poor tactics in action movies. :D

Now if I could just get her to try the AR. She is left eye dominant and bad shotgun experience has soured her on long guns.:mad:

Sorry for the thread drift.

Idea/advice: Pretty much every chick I know, was a lot happier shooting an SBR, than they were shooting anything bigger.

Wow. She is pretty, many kudos.

Sorry for thread drift.

sinjinhawk
06-28-11, 23:11
Have you compared all three mags springs and see if one is longer meaning + 10% power spring? hence reason why it's hard to insert last 2 rounds.

acaixguard
06-29-11, 11:30
All the mag springs I pulled out appear to be the same in length.