PDA

View Full Version : Target Triggers?

MichSteve
06-25-11, 10:15
I want to build my first AR and its purpose is for target shooting out to 600 yards. I want to know about the triggers that are out there for target use. I would want to shoot 1/2" MOA or less at 100 yards.

I don't want to go to exotic, I would still like the lower to be used with a self-defense upper later on.

The ones I have found so far are Rock River, Geissele, Timney and Jewell. The Geissele has my attention with the Super Semi-Automatic SSA trigger for around $170, it states for large pin lower receiver and that throws me off a little, do I need a special lower to make this trigger fit?

LTMattyL
06-25-11, 10:51
Geissele sells both types for the SSA triggers.

http://geissele.com/supersemi-automaticssatrigger-1.aspx

It also looks like BravoCompany has the small pin triggers in stock.

As for the specific triggers themselves, the only one I have experience with is the SSA I have in a lower that I built, but I haven't shot it enough to provide any real feedback. It is smooth with a consistant break, just lighter then a stock trigger.

bnanaphone
06-25-11, 14:31
If you are interested in the Geissele SSA, take a look at their newest offering, the S2S. They are listed on Midway USA's site at $125 and appear to be the SSA but at a lower cost of manufacturing (different metal and production format).

Search around here, Trident1982 has some fantastic writeups that cover some Geissele triggers, including the new S2S. If you really want nice, look at the DMR or SD-E.

CoryCop25
06-25-11, 15:00
Stay away from the Rock River. The Geissele is my first choice because of the different variations and they are pretty much bomb proof. I have a Timney and I like it for a single stage trigger, not for a defense gun (too light). I have no comment on a Jewell Trigger, I've never used one. I will suggest that you spend a good amount of time with a standard USGI trigger if you plan on using an AR for defense purposes. I'm not saying that you should only use a USGI trigger for defense, I am saying that you should be used to that trigger BEFORE you get all hi tech. Learn the platform as it was intended and then upgrade to your ability and the rifle's intended use.

lifebreath
06-28-11, 00:23
I'm a Geissele fan and have an SSA in one gun and an SSA-E in another. I also have a Knight's two stage in my KAC SR15. I'm buying the Geissele High Speed National Match for a precision/bench/varmint AR I'm building.

The SSA is truly a combat trigger. A great trigger, but a bit heavy for a "target" trigger. I bought it initially thinking it would do what you are describing, but I quickly realized it would not. I love it, though, for a dedicated SD gun. The SSA-E can definitely do double duty, but could be a bit light for a dedicated SD gun and not light enough for a dedicated "target" trigger. But for what you are describing, it might just be the right trigger. It's also a simple trigger in that it does not have set or adjustment screws.

If you are serious about shooting .5 MOA or less with a capable upper, I'd look at one of the Geissele High Speed Match triggers.

Just a Jarhead
06-28-11, 03:20
Geissele's definitely seem to be all the rage and I intend on getting one to try it. I'm here to comment that I've got a Jewell trigger with thousands of rounds and not a single issue with it as of this point. Bought it almost 10 years ago. They're easily adjustable & I think it's set for a total of 4 lb. pull, 3 lb. first stage and 1 lb. 2nd stage.

As others have stated and as you're probably well aware, probably not the best thing to have when the jitters fom stress are jumping as 4lb total pull is a bit light for combat. Just wanted to let you know of my positive experience with the Jewell. It really is a great crisp clean trigger. As a target trigger it is un-friggin-believable! Nothing but positive comments for it!

Iraqgunz
06-29-11, 03:23
Shooting 1/2 MOA at 100 yards has a alot more to do with the overall quality of your build, the ammo and the shooter. If you can't shoot no mechanical device in the world will compensate you.

I want to build my first AR and its purpose is for target shooting out to 600 yards. I want to know about the triggers that are out there for target use. I would want to shoot 1/2" MOA or less at 100 yards.

I don't want to go to exotic, I would still like the lower to be used with a self-defense upper later on.

The ones I have found so far are Rock River, Geissele, Timney and Jewell. The Geissele has my attention with the Super Semi-Automatic SSA trigger for around $170, it states for large pin lower receiver and that throws me off a little, do I need a special lower to make this trigger fit?