PDA

View Full Version : Dan Wesson owners chime in

shaneinhisroom
06-25-11, 11:33
Looking to get a RZ45 Heritage model for CCW, paired with a Milt Sparks VM2. Can anyone chime in on pros and cons of Dan Wesson? I've done some research and have found them to be called "best semi custom 1911 on the market"...would like your opinions. Pics are always welcome :jester:

restfortheweary
06-25-11, 14:31
I've carried a CBOB and a custom Bobtailed Valor. I love Dan Wesson 1911's. The finish is not as good as some of the higher priced guns, but absolutely the best 1911 value for the money.

WBAR
06-25-11, 15:52
I own three: a CBOB; a PM7-10; & a .40 SSC. They are all great pistols, and I used to recommend DW 1911s to friends as the "sleeper" buy of 1911s. However, since their price increases I'm a little hesitant about them now. The "new" prices put them almost in Les Baer territory which I consider to be a better product. :confused:

amac
06-25-11, 21:40
I can't attest to the CBOB's, but I do own a Valor and it rocks! What I've read about Dan Wesson and the gun shop makes me believe they produce one of the best 1911's on the market. They are a small gun shop, hand fit what they do manufacture and order parts from top makers like Ed Brown and Wilson for the parts they need.

As for accuracy and reliability, I haven't had any problems with my Valor. It eats any ammo I load, always has since day one. Check out this thread from 1911, it's a great comparison of three 1911 manufacturers - Springfield, DW and Les Baer.

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=321236

In the end, buy with confidence.

snipe10
06-27-11, 20:44
I too had a Heritage and it was the best 1911 I owned until I got above $3K into the Nighthawks and Volkmann's

Fire_Medic
06-27-11, 22:07
To me the Valors and CBOB's were a better value before they got the huge price increase that they did. When I bought mine a NEW CBOB was $800-$900 and a Valor could be had for $1150, and this wasn't that long ago either. They're both great pistols and I have owned one of each and should have never let the Valor go. The Valor and the CBOB both carry extremely well in a VM2, but then again what doesn't it's a great holster.

If I were looking at the Valor or CBOB/VBOB today for purchasing a "new" pistol, I would be inclined to shell out a couple/few hundred more for a Les Baer or Ed Brown, but that's just me. The Springfield custom shop can also make you a nice pistol for a similar price range as the two mentioned brands, if you're not requesting anything radical. Another option yet is to wait and watch the 10-8 website to get in on a run of custom 10-8 Springers as well.

In my opinion they started to price themselves out of being such a value with the increase cost, it was much more gun for the money when one could be had for what a Kimber cost.

Just my $0.02

shaneinhisroom
06-28-11, 08:17
Thanks, that helped. I am looking to get a full size Heritage, and they're still around the $1200 mark. Expensive? Sure, but it's nice knowing there are no MIM parts or anything of lesser value than Ed Brown in there :) I wish I knew of this a few years ago when they were a few hundred dollars cheaper, but I was still a university student living on campus back then.

samuse
06-28-11, 10:16
I have a VBOB and it's high priced for what it is, but it is a good gun and is IMO, better equipped than a Les Baer and looks better than a Baer. The few Baers I've had appeared to be built in a huge hurry with no attention to detail or aesthetics.

DW= Heinie straight eight sights
LB= junk night sights with poor sight picture and bright reflective rings on the REAR sight

DW= high ride Ed Brown grip safety
LB= S&A (type) grip safety, does not raise hand on the gun

DW= standard with 25LPI checkering that looks good
LB= standard 30LPI that usually looks sloppy and done in a hurry

DW= comes with thin VZ grips
LB= comes with standard Herretts (I believe)

shaneinhisroom
06-28-11, 14:09
Thanks, Les Baer was too expensive for me and it's nice to see DW is doing something better than LB.