PDA

View Full Version : Starting over, from the beginning.

Aaron_B
06-25-11, 12:59
Well, as the title states I am starting over. Before I had found this site, I purchased a RRA operator 2. Starting shooting it and determined it was completely not what I wanted. One thing is it was to heavy, the rail I thought was different and turned out didn"t care for it either. After several hundred dollars of changing stuff that I just decided I wanted to change I still was not satisfied. And after reading about the quality of RRA, I determined I would not trust my life on it.

So, now I'm to the point where I am sitting here in Iraq conteplating what I want to do when I return home. My current rifle will be going to my brother as a gift, he wants one for shits and giggles and to say he has one. I'm not pawning this off on him or anything as I know more in likely he will shoot 100 rds a year if that and would never use it in self defense. And I did go through and do the upgrades that were recommened in the OH NO I BOUGHT A RRA! Except swap the bolt out.

All that being said, after reading information upon more information. I am leaning towards buying a Noveske basic light carbine and shooting the dog piss out of it as Rob S suggested. I want to figure out what I truly want in a rifle threw doing classes and actually using the damn thing. Instead of worrying about changing crap that I have no reason why besides the fact I want to. Any suggestions would be awesome and I have plenty more time for reading as well.

Well Thank You in advance for respones.

Aaron

HarvMcNasty
06-28-11, 17:43
I will gladly take your AR off your hands...

Failure2Stop
06-29-11, 07:11
We are in a golden age of ARs.
There are several manufacturers turning out great product.
Parts are getting better and better in quality, innovation, and availability.
Ammo is getting better and more available.
And optics, damn them, are verging on phenominal.

Really, it's almost hard to go wrong if you pay any attention to the lessons the forum has to teach.
I'm not going to try to talk you out of a Noveske (great guns, I own one), but remember that with all the options that exist you can apply lessons and get something out of the box that perfectly fits your needs/preferences. From rail system to pistol grip, you don't have to compromise or spend money swapping parts.

WBAR
06-30-11, 08:12
Aaron- thanks for your service! As far as high quality ARs go, use the chart "Luke"! In addition to Noveske, LMT, BCM, Spikes Tactical, Daniel Defense, or Colt will serve you well. Good luck with your choice. :) WB

jcemt
07-23-11, 19:55
Aaron- thanks for your service! As far as high quality ARs go, use the chart "Luke"! In addition to Noveske, LMT, BCM, Spikes Tactical, Daniel Defense, or Colt will serve you well. Good luck with your choice. :) WB

Well put! X2 on thank you for your service!

rsong76
08-02-11, 20:00
We are in a golden age of ARs.
There are several manufacturers turning out great product.
Parts are getting better and better in quality, innovation, and availability.
Ammo is getting better and more available.
And optics, damn them, are verging on phenominal.

Can't put it better than that. Exactly.

Aaron_B
08-15-11, 14:27
Well, I decided to keep it simple but not exactly so simple. I got a good deal on a Colt LE6933. Paid 1152$ shipped to my dealer. So, with tax stamp and all 1352$. I know some people might not agree with my thinking but, I think it was the right choice. Ever since I started messing with ARs, I've wanted an SBR. Doing this stops me from from getting to ancy and going to buy another rifle. Instead of having 2 guns to setup I can spend the money on ammo and training while enjoying the best of both worlds. As a side note, my RRA is being sold instead of giving it to my brother to help pay for some more ammo and training since he is deployed for the next year. While im waiting on the tax stamp to get back, I'll be focusing on pistol training as well.

shaneinhisroom
08-16-11, 13:47
YEA! Congrats on the purchase :)

rob_s
08-16-11, 13:54
Well, I decided to keep it simple but not exactly so simple. I got a good deal on a Colt LE6933. Paid 1152$ shipped to my dealer. So, with tax stamp and all 1352$. I know some people might not agree with my thinking but, I think it was the right choice. Ever since I started messing with ARs, I've wanted an SBR.
Best AR on the planet IMO, especially for civilian purposes. Add an Aimpoint and go shoot the piss out of it. Modify as needed. You cannot replace the lessons learned with a gun in your hand with any posts on a forum. Check out this thread on the 6933
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=1075393
Once I got my head un-****ed I ran my 6933 mostly stock (changed the pistol grip) for quite some time.

While im waiting on the tax stamp to get back, I'll be focusing on pistol training as well.
If you are going to be carrying, or otherwise relying on a handgun for personal protection, this is the smart move, not just in the short term but in the long term as well.

Aaron_B
08-18-11, 15:24
Best AR on the planet IMO, especially for civilian purposes. Add an Aimpoint and go shoot the piss out of it. Modify as needed. You cannot replace the lessons learned with a gun in your hand with any posts on a forum. Check out this thread on the 6933
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=1075393
Once I got my head un-****ed I ran my 6933 mostly stock (changed the pistol grip) for quite some time.

I plan to run this pretty simple. I have a Comp M4 already from the previous gun that I plan on using. And, I contacted Clyde Armory to see if they would swap the carry handle for the matech flip sight that comes with some models. If they dont, I have a dremel and will cut down the carry handle. Also, the only things I see chaning out is the stock and handguards. Prolly will go with a CTR and moe handguards w/ IWC swivel put on since I have a BFG sling with QD swivels on both ends already. As well some kind of light setup, plan on using a surefire g2 style light. Got a few of those laying around. Other than that more mags and ammo.

If you are going to be carrying, or otherwise relying on a handgun for personal protection, this is the smart move, not just in the short term but in the long term as well.

Yes, I carry whenever I can and will continue to do so. As a handgun will be my primary Home/Personal protection until I receive stamp and run the gun a bit. I'm pretty excited about going to take some classes. I am gonig to contact Grey Group for a Intro Pistol Class they have on Dec 3rd and start there. I need to get some basic gear though, I assume anyways. Better mag carriers are the thing I need the most I think. Any suggestions?

rob_s
08-18-11, 17:35
Carriers for AR mags or pistol?

For training purposes on a standard pants belt I use pouches from Ready Tactical that I get from SKDtac.com, both for the AR and the Glock.

Aaron_B
08-18-11, 17:39
Carriers for AR mags or pistol?

For training purposes on a standard pants belt I use pouches from Ready Tactical that I get from SKDtac.com, both for the AR and the Glock.

Pistol for now, I have to chk those out since I use glocks also.

turdbocharged
08-19-11, 10:34
I'm so jealous, I'm going to sell my .308 to get a 6933 hopefully, but the legal hoops seem so daunting! Good luck with your rifle and stay safe over there!

Aaron_B
08-19-11, 12:07
Turbocharged,

Yeah I'm pretty excited about getting it. Actually the reason why I ended up going that route was because of you post in the NFA section. Once I found I could get it for what I did, I was sold. Was going to go with a 6920, but I figured mise well kill 2 birds with one stone. Anyways, thx for the kind words and hopefully I'll be out of here soon.