PDA

View Full Version : slip 2000 ewl vs gunzilla for lube

dubuque
06-25-11, 15:56
i've been using gunzilla for years and love it. i've used it during 2 high round count carbine courses with zero problems but i also used a good amount on the weapon. it's great for cleanig and as far as i can tell good for lubrication. i've heard great things about slip 2000 ewl and wanted some opinions by people who have used both for lube, people who have taken high round count courses i would like to hear your opinions . i'm really only looking at these two products, thanks in advance for your input .

johns961
06-25-11, 16:10
Hello. Like you I have used the gunzilla for a few years and had been ok with it. I always thought it was a little thin for lubrication. But, it cleaned up my guns very good. Then I found out about the slip200 products. Their clp cleans as good as gunzilla. Leaves lubrication behind.
Their ewl is like pourable grease. I can use it on rails and bolts. Then I am now using their grease along with the other two product. Thin layers on areas where metal rubs on metal. Gunk does not seem to stick to the stuff. Cleanup is a breeze.
And it is suppose to be non toxic. So it will not wind up in my liver. It is suppose to go into the metal like seasoning a frying pan. I don't know about that though. Hope that helps.

John!

LONGBOWAH
06-26-11, 04:40
If you aren't familiar with "Filthy #14", google it or find it on the BCM site.

It's a BCM AR that's gone >40k rounds with Slip as the lube.

Good enough for me.

BaronFitz
06-26-11, 11:21
I use Gunzilla to clean, and EWL to lube. Gunzilla does a good job, and also doesn't make you high from the fumes. I can clean multiple weapons out and my wife doesn't comment on the stench. :D

christcorp
06-26-11, 15:14
People are definitely free to buy whatever they want, and spend as much as they want. But for the life of me, I can't understand paying $7 for a 1.9oz bottle of lube, or even $10 for a 4 oz bottle. Most gun sources mention a grease/oil with molybdenum disulfide as an excellent gun grease. You can get a tube of Super Tech Moly Lithium grease as walmart. It has molybdenum disulfide in it; it costs $4.97 for a tube that will LITERALLY LAST YOUR ENTIRE LIFETIME. That will take care of all the metal-on-metal parts. Almost any decent gun grease will have molybdenum disulfide in it. Why pay more because it says "Gun/Firearm" somewhere on the label?

I then use a decent oil for the non metal-on-metal parts like triggers, springs, etc... I use CLP, remoil, etc... For these type of parts, as long as the oil doesn't attract dirt and grime and cake up the parts, it's fine. These oils can be had for about $5 and last a good long time.

I notice this a lot in the retail world. Go to a walmart type store, go to the electronics department, find a charger for your cell phone, and it's $19.97. Go instead to the automotive department, and you can find a car charger for your cell phone for $11.97. That's the same issue with lubricants. It's marketing and the label. Guns/Firearms are a niche market compared to automotive. Pretty much the exact same grease, except you spend $10 for a 3 oz tube of grease because it's for a gun, or you spend $5 for a 14 oz industrial tube that says automobile on it. Look up molybdenum disulfide is reference to guns and firearms lubricants. Then look it up again in reference to moly lithium grease like Super Tech.

Again; people are free to buy whatever they want, and spend however much they want. But you aren't getting a better lubricant because you bought it at a gun shop or online and it is in reference to guns.

Toyoland66
06-26-11, 18:51
I get what you are saying, but how many hundreds of dollars of ammo are you going to burn through before you use up that bottle of lube that cost a few bucks more?

In my experience slip is a better lube than rem oil or clp.

Tedfs
06-26-11, 21:09
GunZilla to clean, EWL to lube.

sparkman
06-26-11, 21:15
Slip EWL for lube.....

christcorp
06-26-11, 21:30
If it was "Better", then a few dollars is worth it. If it isn't better at all, then it's just a waste of money. And whether you're wasting $10 more on a bottle of oil or $20 on a phone charger, or a $100 on something else, it's still a waste of money. I've seen/heard some people say that a particular brand is better; but I'm inclined to believe that they are just rationalizing spending the extra money. I've not seen any tests or evidence that shows the superiority of certain gun lubes.

pkowatch
06-26-11, 21:34
People are definitely free to buy whatever they want, and spend as much as they want. But for the life of me, I can't understand paying $7 for a 1.9oz bottle of lube, or even $10 for a 4 oz bottle. Most gun sources mention a grease/oil with molybdenum disulfide as an excellent gun grease. You can get a tube of Super Tech Moly Lithium grease as walmart. It has molybdenum disulfide in it; it costs $4.97 for a tube that will LITERALLY LAST YOUR ENTIRE LIFETIME. That will take care of all the metal-on-metal parts. Almost any decent gun grease will have molybdenum disulfide in it. Why pay more because it says "Gun/Firearm" somewhere on the label?

I then use a decent oil for the non metal-on-metal parts like triggers, springs, etc... I use CLP, remoil, etc... For these type of parts, as long as the oil doesn't attract dirt and grime and cake up the parts, it's fine. These oils can be had for about $5 and last a good long time.

I notice this a lot in the retail world. Go to a walmart type store, go to the electronics department, find a charger for your cell phone, and it's $19.97. Go instead to the automotive department, and you can find a car charger for your cell phone for $11.97. That's the same issue with lubricants. It's marketing and the label. Guns/Firearms are a niche market compared to automotive. Pretty much the exact same grease, except you spend $10 for a 3 oz tube of grease because it's for a gun, or you spend $5 for a 14 oz industrial tube that says automobile on it. Look up molybdenum disulfide is reference to guns and firearms lubricants. Then look it up again in reference to moly lithium grease like Super Tech.

Again; people are free to buy whatever they want, and spend however much they want. But you aren't getting a better lubricant because you bought it at a gun shop or online and it is in reference to guns.

For all of the money that it takes to initiate and sustain the "AR Habit," I'm not getting too hung up over the cost of lubricant.

Maybe Wal-Mart does sell something that is scientifically equivalent to Slip 2000, but I'm not a chemist and I am inclined to stick to products that I have found to work and that are intended for use in firearms.

I just think we are really starting to split hairs when we start analyzing the cost/ounce of lube. There are a lot of guys who use Mobile 1 motor oil. I don't begrudge them at all so long as they are doing so because they find it to be a superior lubricant and not because you can buy a quart of it cheap.

christcorp
06-26-11, 22:33
I only brought up price, because you can buy the same stuff as that "INTENDED FOR GUN USE", for a fraction of the price. It just doesn't say "GUNS" in the description. It's all marketing. Someone took an existing product, and re-marketed it. Made it sound fancy, and tacked on a massive markup. You could take a $5 quart of synthetic motor oil, take 4 oz of it and put it in a small squeeze bottle, call it gun lubricant, and charge $7.95 for the 4 oz.

The primary ingredient in many various gun lubes, is molybdenum disulfide. That's the lubricant. It's suspended in an oil or grease. It is the same stuff that's in the Armor Tuff coating, KG Kote coating, Robar's Roguard finish, Kimber's KimPro finish, Brownell's moly bore treatment paste, russack dri-slide, and other products. And Molybdenum disulfide is used as a lubricant in a lot more applications than weapons. I'm simply saying that this is not some lubricant that was made especially for weapons. And buying lubricants made "Specifically for weapons" is nothing more than marketing hype. Whether you pay a lot more for it or not is your business. I'm simply stating facts, so that the noob interested in gun lubes, don't feel that they have to pay 10-100X more money for the same exact product.

Dachs
06-26-11, 22:35
For all of the money that it takes to initiate and sustain the "AR Habit," I'm not getting too hung up over the cost of lubricant.

Maybe Wal-Mart does sell something that is scientifically equivalent to Slip 2000, but I'm not a chemist and I am inclined to stick to products that I have found to work and that are intended for use in firearms.

Do you also buy name brands over the store brands (ie Nyquil instead of Nite-time Flu Relief; Windex over Glass Cleaner) even when they ingredients are exactly the same? I'm not a chemist either, but I am someone who is conscientious with his money.:shrug:

BTW, this is the first I have heard of auto lube being the same as gun lube. That's something I'll have to look into when my giant tub of TW25B is out. I don't really care how you spend your money. I'll admit that I have irrational brand loyalties that I am willing to pay for, and if thats your reason for sticking with the more expensive brand, happy hunting.

I don't begrudge them at all so long as they are doing so because they find it to be a superior lubricant and not because you can buy a quart of it cheap.

So if they are doing it because its cheap you are begrudging the s**t out of them?? ;)

I've never really knew that there was such a highly contested debate about gun lubes until I started checking out these forums.

pkowatch
06-27-11, 08:07
Do you also buy name brands over the store brands (ie Nyquil instead of Nite-time Flu Relief; Windex over Glass Cleaner) even when they ingredients are exactly the same? I'm not a chemist either, but I am someone who is conscientious with his money.:shrug:

BTW, this is the first I have heard of auto lube being the same as gun lube. That's something I'll have to look into when my giant tub of TW25B is out. I don't really care how you spend your money. I'll admit that I have irrational brand loyalties that I am willing to pay for, and if thats your reason for sticking with the more expensive brand, happy hunting.

So if they are doing it because its cheap you are begrudging the s**t out of them?? ;)

I've never really knew that there was such a highly contested debate about gun lubes until I started checking out these forums.

You are missing my point. It's not about irrational brand loyalties or purposely seeking out the most expensive brand. It's about what works the best. I like Slip 2000, and yes it costs more per ounce than Mobil 1, moly lithium grease, K-Y, or many other lubricants. I don't lie in bed at night agonizing over the cost and set upon a quest to find a commerically available lube with the exact same properties of Slip at a lower price point.

If someone wants to play amatuer chemist in garage in order to develop the concoction that is superior to anything that is commercially availabe (read more of these lube threads and you find guys that do just that) then go for it. As long has his primary motive it to find what works best. If his primary motive is to try to save tons of money, then yes, I begrudge the shit out of him.

I'm not wealthy, and I'm not trying to be flippant about spending money. But, we are talking about lube here guys. Are there a lot of guys who are really breaking the bank over this?

SomeOtherGuy
06-27-11, 09:11
I'm not wealthy, and I'm not trying to be flippant about spending money. But, we are talking about lube here guys. Are there a lot of guys who are really breaking the bank over this?

For a long time I used FP-10, and those four ounce bottles lasted me about 3 years each. And I thought I was using it quite generously, across roughly 15 firearms. If you shoot much, the difference between a $12/4oz bottle of oil and a $5/4oz oil is smaller than even trivial, it's approaching infinitesimal.

Oh, FWIW I'm currently experimenting with both Weaponshield and SLIP 2000 EWL, and so far both seem excellent. That's not my main point though.

SomeOtherGuy
06-27-11, 09:18
The primary ingredient in many various gun lubes, is molybdenum disulfide. That's the lubricant. It's suspended in an oil or grease. It is the same stuff that's in the Armor Tuff coating, KG Kote coating, Robar's Roguard finish, Kimber's KimPro finish, Brownell's moly bore treatment paste, russack dri-slide, and other products. And Molybdenum disulfide is used as a lubricant in a lot more applications than weapons. I'm simply saying that this is not some lubricant that was made especially for weapons.

I don't think that's quite right. Moly (molybdenum disulfide) may be in a fair number of lubes, but it's not in everything. It's a dark graphite black, so if a lube is any color other than black or dark gray, it's very unlikely that it has moly in any significant amount.

Moly's primary purpose is an extreme pressure additive and secondarily as a friction reducer. It can also work by itself, in dry powder form, as a dry lubricant, but if it's in an oil or grease then the oil is doing most of the lubrication and the moly is coming into play only where the oil is not present, usually because it was forced out by high pressure exceeding the film strength of the oil.

To say that all lubes are the same because they contain moly is not only inaccurate (many do not) but also assumes that the moly is doing all the work, which should not be the case. It's like saying that all steel is the same because it's all mostly iron.

Black Jeep
06-27-11, 09:45
I have used Gunzilla for a couple of years now, but mostly for cleaning purposes as it doesn't stink up the house or garage when I use it.

I have known guys to use Mobil 1 15w50 oil as their lube. I have found the notion intriguing and may go that route one day as I always have about a case of Amsoil 20w50 in the garage for my bike and the amount needed for a gun would never be missed. At the moment, I have plenty of lube that is working just fine and I won't throw it out because there is a cheaper option. Maybe when I run out I'll consider it.

Black Jeep
06-27-11, 10:07
I have used Gunzilla for a couple of years now, but mostly for cleaning purposes as it doesn't stink up the house or garage when I use it.

I have known guys to use Mobil 1 15w50 oil as their lube. I have found the notion intriguing and may go that route one day as I always have about a case of Amsoil 20w50 in the garage for my bike and the amount needed for a gun would never be missed. At the moment, I have plenty of lube that is working just fine and I won't throw it out because there is a cheaper option. Maybe when I run out I'll consider it.

shaneinhisroom
06-27-11, 11:45
I've used Balistol for my AR. Other it smelling a little funky, it does exactly what I want it to do. I really do need to try some of this EWL stuff...

ra2bach
06-27-11, 11:52
I think it's been pretty well established that with an AR, what is important is that you use lube and enough of it, not what kind.

I personally have switched over to Weaponshield from Tetra as it does not contain teflon which I have heard is not good to expose to high heat.

I suppose it works as good as any but I like standardizing on one product. Weaponshield is proven and is one of the best available at a reasonable price.

also, George came on here and told his story and offered free samples to anyone who requested it. I value loyalty...

kartoffel
06-27-11, 15:09

Amen, brother.

Another example: go shopping for fire extinguishers at Wally World: The home extinguishers almost always cost more than the maritime extinguishers over in sporting goods.

Having been a bicycle mechanic even longer that I have been a gun guy, I can confirm that people will swear up and down that their preferred lube is some kind of special magic formula. Sorry folks, it ain't. I go no problem using the Gucci grease if it's all that's available, but my home stash is based on boat trailer grease, machinists (not reloaders) moly powder, Eezox, Ballistol, and Ed's Red.

christcorp
06-27-11, 18:26
I don't think that's quite right. Moly (molybdenum disulfide) may be in a fair number of lubes, but it's not in everything. It's a dark graphite black, so if a lube is any color other than black or dark gray, it's very unlikely that it has moly in any significant amount.

Moly's primary purpose is an extreme pressure additive and secondarily as a friction reducer. It can also work by itself, in dry powder form, as a dry lubricant, but if it's in an oil or grease then the oil is doing most of the lubrication and the moly is coming into play only where the oil is not present, usually because it was forced out by high pressure exceeding the film strength of the oil.

To say that all lubes are the same because they contain moly is not only inaccurate (many do not) but also assumes that the moly is doing all the work, which should not be the case. It's like saying that all steel is the same because it's all mostly iron.

If you're going to quote someone, at least say what they WROTE, and not what you made up or THOUGHT they said. I never said all lubes contain moly. As you PROPERLY QUOTED, but FAILED AT SAYING, I said many gun lubes use molybdenum disulfide. I'm sure you want me to respect your opinion; and I do. At least show the same respect and don't twist my words around. That happens a lot in the forums. Even this one.

But again, you are free to buy whatever you want. I just happen to think that if you buy into the marketing hype about certain things like gun lube, but discard it because you rationalize it as an "inexpensive" investment; what is the price point at which you don't buy into the hype?