PDA

View Full Version : My idea of a versatile GP carbine....

Hawkeye
10-20-07, 16:10
I think I've finally put together what I consider to be about the best general purpose/multi role carbine I can. I wanted something thats capable of excellent accuracy yet be able to fight with (supressive fire/high round count, etc...) as well. There are a number of excellent stainless AR barrels out there, that are all capable of exceptional accuracy, but none that I really felt that would have the same durability and longevity as a chrome lined barrel. About the closest would be one of John Noveske's barrels.
Enter Denny's (Global Tactical) Operator barrel. For those that dont know, its a 16" midlength gas system Chromoly Vandium barrel. 5.56 chamber, chrome lined, and of a midweight profile. These barrels are done by Compass Lake, Mike Rock, and US Chrome to Denny's specs.
The Operator barrels have been turning in some outstanding acuracy results. I helped a friend build up an AR using one a few months ago, and he has been getting consistent .4 moa @ 100 yds with some 75gr handloads. This barrel gives you near match grade accuracy (on average), yet you can still dump 2-3 mags of supressive fire through it and not even begin to damage it like you would most stainless barrels.
So, I put this one together, that I feel is capable of doing general duty as a fighting carbine, yet is also capable of good accuracy when needed. There are a number of ways one you go for optics on this. My friend went with a 1.5-4x Leupold. I decided to go with an Aimpoint and Aimpoint Magnifier in a Larue mount and Aimpoint twist & lock mount respectively. This allows me to run it like any other fighting carbine with the Aimpoint, yet in just a second, the Magnifier can be added for decent precision out to 200-250 yrds or so, give or take. I think this is about as versitile as you can get without going to a more dedicated setup for one job or the other. I'm sure there are other equally, and possibly better setups out there, but this is what I am going to run for a while. The only two things I have thought about changing on it are the front sight assembly and the flash supressor. I thought about switching to a flip up front sight, but for now I think I am going to stick with the standard F marked fixed one. On the flash supressor, I thought about going with a Phantom, but I want to run the A2 in some low light first to see if its really worth it.
I only have about 80 rounds through it so far (55 gr FMJ Georgia Arms), but based on its performance so far, I have no doubts its going to be a great shooter. Here are the specs.

Denny's/Global Tactical lower (made for Denny by Stag)
LMT receiver extension
Magpul CTR stock
Stag/CMT lower parts kit
KNS pins
Magpul MIAD grip
CMT M4 cut upper
Denny's bolt/bolt carrier group (MP marked and properly staked, Crane extractor spring and O ring w/black insert)
Denny's Operator barrel (16", chrome lined, 1/7 twist, 5.56, CMV, midlength gas, F front sight)
Troy rear sight
Larue 9.0 rail
Magpul XT rail covers
Vickers Tactical sling

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Hawkeye1/Guns/Operator5.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Hawkeye1/Guns/Operator4.jpg

Paulinski
10-20-07, 16:17
Very Nice.

I'm in the process of building very similar carabine with exception of Sabre Defense Midlength barrel and DD Midlength Rail.

jmart
10-20-07, 16:24
Very nice, I'm thinking of a similar build. Question: what's the weight and how does it balance?

Hawkeye
10-20-07, 16:26
I have a nearly IDENTICAL gun set up with a 1/7 govt profile Sabre barrel. It is a GREAT shooter as well. The Operator has just the ever so slightest edge on accuracy, we're talking very minor here, but I like the midweight profile of the Operator a tad better. You cant go wrong with the Sabre though. I have mine up for sale since this gun is basically replacing it, and I'm not independently wealthy yet and need the $$ to take care of some things with. I hate letting it go, but...............

Hawkeye
10-20-07, 16:29
Very nice, I'm thinking of a similar build. Question: what's the weight and how does it balance?

I havent weighed it yet so I cant tell you. Balance wise... its weird. it actually "feels" a bit lighter than my identically equiped govt profile Sabre barreled gun. I think its just because it shifts the balance point a bit back towards the receiver and away from the muzzle via the slightly heavier profile under the handguard.

rob_s
10-20-07, 16:30
I'd also like to know the weight.

I've been considering something very similar, although with a LT pivot mount for the magnifier

Hawkeye
10-20-07, 17:43
I'll see if I can get a halfway accurate weight on it and I'll post it as soon as I can.

ddemis
10-20-07, 20:32
Very nice job hawkeye question, does the veltor stock jiggle around slightly like a G.I. 6 position or is it tight like the lewis machine and tool.

Hawkeye
10-20-07, 21:22
Thats a Magpul CTR stock, not a VLTOR. But no, CTR stocks do not wiggle, at all. Neither does VLTOR though in my experience.

jmart
10-21-07, 10:40
I havent weighed it yet so I cant tell you. Balance wise... its weird. it actually "feels" a bit lighter than my identically equiped govt profile Sabre barreled gun. I think its just because it shifts the balance point a bit back towards the receiver and away from the muzzle via the slightly heavier profile under the handguard.

Interesting. Do you know if Denny offers fluting as an option?

I've had my eye on this barrel for awhile, along with SDI's fluted mid-length SS barrel. That barrel isn't chrome-lined, so I would guess it would wear more quickly during rapid fire shooting. I'm leaning towards chrome lining for this reason alone.

Saginaw79
10-24-07, 12:58
Im thinking about one of those magnifiers as well though im running an EOTech

Hawkeye
10-24-07, 14:00
Interesting. Do you know if Denny offers fluting as an option?

I've had my eye on this barrel for awhile, along with SDI's fluted mid-length SS barrel. That barrel isn't chrome-lined, so I would guess it would wear more quickly during rapid fire shooting. I'm leaning towards chrome lining for this reason alone.

No, fluting is not an option on the Operator barrels.

AR-15A3
10-24-07, 19:18
Your GP carbine is very nice because it's similar to mine. :cool:

Mine have different brand receivers, Phoenix FS, TD rail panels & VFG, Colt M16 BCG and Vltor EMOD with Vltor tube.

My Operator carbine is slightly heavier than my M4 type carbine that's why I replaced my old BFG sling with a Viking Tactics-LaRue padded sling, it's more comfy.

Yojimbo
10-26-07, 09:59
Another excellent carbine!

I'm sold on Denny's Operator barrels and will be adding a carbine built around to my collection.;)

5POINT56
10-26-07, 10:19
Nice carbine Hawkeye, looks like one of mine...at least the school of thought used to build it.....

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s107/5POINT56/NewPix074.jpg

Hawkeye
10-26-07, 10:48
I do love 14.5" mids....

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=8375

RHR
10-26-07, 11:21
Nice! That's the exact setup I've thought about building.

Yojimbo
10-27-07, 15:47
Hawkweye,

What light are you going to put on that? I'm thinking of using a X300 for a similar setup.

I figure a lightweight setup like the X300 will make up for some of the additional weight the magnifier adds. The x300 also doesn't appear to give up much lighting power when compared to the larger lights.

Hawkeye
10-27-07, 15:59
Not sure. A 300 was one thought though. Still tryingt o figure out whats the best choice. That may indeed be it.