PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have any thoughts on the CZ P07 Duty?

1911-A1
06-25-11, 19:09
I haven't been able to find much about this gun, so that in itself may be a "clue", but I thought I'd ask anyway.

I handled one of them in Cabelas, and liked it quite a bit. I thought I'd see if anyone knew about them on here.

http://cdn5.thefirearmsblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/duty.jpg

ranburr
06-25-11, 19:25
I have one with 1K rounds thru it without issue.

1911-A1
06-25-11, 19:34
I have one with 1K rounds thru it without issue.

Can you elaborate?

Pros?

Cons?

Accuracy?

Trigger?

ranburr
06-25-11, 21:57
Handles and shoots well. Accurate as any other CZ. Trigger is good. Don't care for the plastic sights or guide rod. It goes bang every time I pull the trigger. Can't really say much more until I get 10K thru it and see how it holds up.

jh9
06-26-11, 08:24
One of our local competitors broke a trigger return spring in his P07 during a match. CZCustom (Angus Hobdell's shop) sells a replacement spring that's supposed to address the CZ TRS breakage issue.

Other than that, the only issues I'm aware of with CZs are the slide stop and needing the extractor/recess cleaned at ~5k maintenance intervals.

Even if relatively uncommon, you may consider replacing the TRS just because it's an easy fix. Slide stop breakage, AFAIK, involves shearing off at the lug. The one first-hand report I've read where this happened the guy didn't even notice it until the end of the stage at 'unload and show clear.' Extractor breakage is not common any more than any other design, but it does need to be cleaned.

If you treat it like a 1911, it should be fine. If you treat it like a Glock, you're asking for trouble.

ShipWreck
06-26-11, 08:28
Is it easy to get the extractor out, or is there roll pins and such?

jh9
06-26-11, 08:31
Is it easy to get the extractor out, or is there roll pins and such?

There's a roll pin. I haven't removed mine yet. Just got my 85C and test fired it. It's currently waiting to go Angus' shop and have some action work / sights.

edit: Video here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSOY9OvLrBg&translated=1). The extractor bit is at 4:06.

glen
06-26-11, 08:43
I am playing with one, shot a few hundred rounds with it so far.

It's a very early model so it has most of the issues reported for the series, like the frame bulge, mags not dropping free and trigger reset issues during rapid fire.

The frame bulge is a noticeable separation of the polymer frame from the locking block/front slide rail block. Appears to be cosmetic so far and no reports of breakage from my research. Drop free issues were solved with judicious sanding of the magazine well. Have not really looked into the trigger reset problem yet.

As mentioned sights are plastic and so-so. Hard to find night sights for these, and Ive heard that night sights for this model are plastic also. This plus the above issues preclude it from serious use for me at this time.

Too bad as its a pretty sweet shooter with a decent DA/SA trigger, about the same size as a compact Glock with one more round capacity, and a slimmer grip. IIRC the slide is also QPQ/"Tennifer" finished just like a Glock.

ShipWreck
06-26-11, 09:59
There's a roll pin. I haven't removed mine yet. Just got my 85C and test fired it. It's currently waiting to go Angus' shop and have some action work / sights.

edit: Video here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSOY9OvLrBg&translated=1). The extractor bit is at 4:06.

Ok. I assume its a single use roll pin, so ya gotta get another before you do it, right?

I think I've read that the HKs use a single use roll pin too

montrala
06-26-11, 12:49

I always re-use my roll pins in HKs (extractor and firing pin pins) and never had a problem. Actually it never slipped my mind that those can be single use.

jh9
06-26-11, 14:47
Ok. I assume its a single use roll pin, so ya gotta get another before you do it, right?

I just looked at mine and it's a solid pin not a roll pin. My bad.

Either way, though, it's a $3 part (http://czcustom.com/czextractorpin.aspx). I wouldn't call it a deal breaker.

cgbills
06-26-11, 20:18
I am a huge fan of CZ pistols. I have had Glocks, HK, Sig, etc but I do not shoot any of them as well as I do CZ. With that being said if I were to get a CZ it would a metal framed one. The P07 feels and points well for me, but CZ's strength in pistols is the 75s

ShipWreck
06-26-11, 21:20
I just looked at mine and it's a solid pin not a roll pin. My bad.

Either way, though, it's a $3 part (http://czcustom.com/czextractorpin.aspx). I wouldn't call it a deal breaker.
Ok, thanks for the info :)

That's one thing I liked about the P99 slide disassembly - no rill pins. And, with the Beretta frame - same thing

1911-A1
06-26-11, 23:07
One other question, is it good to go for cocked & locked carry? I understand they come with a second safety lever that you can use to replace the decocker.

legumeofterror
06-27-11, 10:54
Yup. I have a CZ75B Omega, which uses the same trigger components. The P07 comes equipped with a decocker, but removing and replacing it with the safety is fairly easy. I carry my 75B at half cock with the safety on.

Boss Hogg
02-16-12, 20:54
I picked one up this weekend and it is a surprisingly good shooter.

Pros:
Incredibly accurate
Nice SA trigger
Tough to chamber- some with kids may appreciate that
Shoots as flat as a Glock 19, despite a slightly higher bore axis.
Nice beavertail that really allows you to get up on it
Good grip angle/feel

Con:
Ugly trigger guard
Action spring isn't captive- PITA to reassemble
Not as many holsters available as Glock, M&P, etc
Trigger reset is a bit long so it will take some getting used to if you're a Glock or 1911 shooter

At the range today a LEO who carries a G22 shot it and was very impressed. I shot it after my M&P 9mm and G19, and the P-07 trounced them in accuracy.

Battlepack
02-17-12, 09:11
I was going to pick one up to play with but the frame bulge issues scared me. I'm interested to see how they hold up with some usage.

rob_s
02-24-12, 08:49
What am I missing on these? the P07 (http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-p07-duty/) is longer, wider, and taller than the P01 (http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-p01/) and only 0.05 lbs, or 0.8 oz., lighter. It would appear that it holds two more rounds, but does that also in turn mean it uses proprietary P07 magazines?

montrala
02-24-12, 09:08
What am I missing on these? the P07 (http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-p07-duty/) is longer, wider, and taller than the P01 (http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-p01/) and only 0.05 lbs, or 0.8 oz., lighter. It would appear that it holds two more rounds, but does that also in turn mean it uses proprietary P07 magazines?

AFAIK it is lighter because of polymer frame. It uses standard 15rd CZ75/85 magazines. SP-01 uses shorter 13rd "compact" magazines.

rob_s
02-24-12, 09:15
AFAIK it is lighter because of polymer frame. It uses standard 15rd CZ75/85 magazines. SP-01 uses shorter 13rd "compact" magazines.

See, this I don't understand. What you say sounds like it makes sense, but it doesn't match up with the specs of the guns I see online. I made a chart to try to figure it out. (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ajl2UPK0UHPsdFVzNm5CRzk2bjd6LU5RWjNYN1lkbnc)
:sarcastic:

montrala
02-24-12, 09:22
See, this I don't understand. What you say sounds like it makes sense, but it doesn't match up with the specs of the guns I see online. I made a chart to try to figure it out. (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ajl2UPK0UHPsdFVzNm5CRzk2bjd6LU5RWjNYN1lkbnc)
:sarcastic:

OK. I forgot that CZ modified their mags internally nad 13 rounders become 14 rounders and 15 rounders become 16 rounders. But those are still same mags.

Also your data does not match data from CZ site. I did not convert units, but P-01 (and 02) has shorter barrel than P-07. Go to http://www.czub.cz and compare data.

But I do not see anything obviously wrong. Mark it red for me, please.

rob_s
02-24-12, 09:24
I'm on the CZ USA website, and I'm simply copying and pasting the information from their charts.

ETA:
I'm also not sure what you want me to mark red.

The CZ 75B takes 16 round magazines and the pistol overall height is 5.43" The SP01 takes 18 round magazines and is 5.79" tall. I'm not understanding how the P07 is taking that same magazine as the 75 and is only 5.03" tall, unless they found a way to shave 0.40" from the grip and still get the same mag to sit flush?

Also, converting 770 grams on the... whatever that website is you linked to, gets me 1.70 lbs while the USA site says 1.75 lbs. Which, either way, is heavy as **** for 16 rounds in a 1.5" wide polymer pistol with a <4" barrel. The Glock 19 has a 4" barrel and weighs nearly 1/2 lbs. less.

I'd like to find a smaller, lighter, CZ to carry and use one of the bigger, heavier in competition and training, so I was interested in the P07 but it looks like the CZ design is just going to be heavy as hell no matter what.

montrala
02-24-12, 09:26
I'm on the CZ USA website, and I'm simply copying and pasting the information from their charts.

I never believe "*-USA" sites - they loose lot of data or make mistakes on unit conversions. I always use original manufacturer data.

Anyway, except small mistake in barrel length I do not see anything suspicious.

rob_s
02-24-12, 09:35
OK, so again (not sure if we're losing something in translation here) the P07 weighs nearly 1/2 lbs more than a Glock 19, but they somehow managed to cram a fullsize magazine into a frame that is 1/2" shorter?

Whether the weight is 1.75 lbs as listed on the US site or 1.7 lbs as listed on yours, that's still a non-starter for me. I was actually hoping something was wrong, maybe that it was the loaded weight or something, but I guess not.

montrala
02-24-12, 09:46
OK, so again (not sure if we're losing something in translation here) the P07 weighs nearly 1/2 lbs more than a Glock 19, but they somehow managed to cram a fullsize magazine into a frame that is 1/2" shorter?

Whether the weight is 1.75 lbs as listed on the US site or 1.7 lbs as listed on yours, that's still a non-starter for me. I was actually hoping something was wrong, maybe that it was the loaded weight or something, but I guess not.

Frame length has nothing to do with magazine size. Grip length (pistol height) can.

P-07 is compact gun. P-01 is compact gun. Differences in size and weight are minimal. Weight is little higher than HK P30 empty. I do not see nothing unusual. And yes, Glock 19 is light pistol.

rob_s
02-24-12, 09:54
I'm going to chalk this up to language...

If the weight is accurate either way within 0.05 lbs that's what matters most as it becomes a non-option for me. I was expecting a polymer-framed CZ to weigh less than, not more than, a similar aluminum frame. The M&P is also a light polymer-framed gun, so the CZ appears to be the anomaly.

RepeatDefender
02-24-12, 10:00
Since buying the PPQ, the CZ P-07 is next on my list of "must try" guns. I've so far been able to resist by reading of the problems, but as they get worked out I'm more and more tempted.

montrala
02-24-12, 10:04
Since buying the PPQ, the CZ P-07 is next on my list of "must try" guns. I've so far been able to resist by reading of the problems, but as they get worked out I'm more and more tempted.

I had opportunity to shoot P-07 Duty on test bay during 2011 IPSC Worldshoot @ Rhodes. This pistol got truckload of ammo shot trough it by lot of shooters testing it. I never seen it skip a beat. My impression was that it was very good feeling, fast and flat shooting pistol. Surprisingly accurate for it's short line of sights and my poor skills.

OldGreg
02-24-12, 13:03
I had a P-07. What i liked about it was the grip.. it's very comfortable, i'll call it "V" shaped circumference, unlike the Glock rounded rectangle grip shape. I also liked the decocker on it, it didn't slam down like on other pistols, my thumb pressure on the decocker lever could lower it as slow as i wanted.

Mine was pretty fun to shoot too, then at the 1500 round mark, the trigger had been digging a rut into the trigger guard, so much so that it finally started to 'catch' a bit during reset. Mine had a bulging frame too.. so off to CZUSA it went, and they replaced my pistol with an entirely new one. For whatever reason, i didn't enjoy the new one as much, so after 200 rounds of ammo it was traded towards my HK P30.

m39nut
02-25-12, 07:03
The P07 uses a different magazine magazine, at least is has a different part number. I have held a P07 and it seems to me to be lighter than my P01 but that may be just an illusion just to a balance difference. Also the newer ones are supposed to get rid of the frame bulge issue, supposed to, only time will tell.

montrala
02-27-12, 09:06
The P07 uses a different magazine magazine, at least is has a different part number.

I checked it and it seems that I was wrong. P07 uses new magazine indeed.

strojo
02-28-12, 05:44
I've had mine for a few months and have only put about 300 rounds through it. No function issues so far.

My impressions when shooting are that recoil seems very light for similar guns in this category (e.g. Glock 19). I like the overall feel of the frame in my hand. Sights suck, but I had those replaced. For the money, it's not a bad option if you're looking for something a little different to shoot.

Mac5.56
04-27-13, 20:01
Just out of curiosity, and since it has been a year, how are these pistols holding up to long term use?

I used the search function and this seems like a relevant thread to bring back. I'm asking because with the panic buying I can't find an M&P for the life of me, but this pistol is still around and it hasn't raised in price.

KiloSierra
05-17-13, 05:19
I had one for a few months. Functioned perfectly for the limited number of rounds I fired through it. Extremely accurate with good ergonomics and the ability to switch out the decocker with a thumb safety if you want. CZ Custom has metal night sight available. The only issue I had with it was limited holster selection and hard to find and expensive magazines. Traded it and some guns I had laying around for a new Sig 226 since I had a SP-01.

Chefjon
05-17-13, 07:25
When I was looking for a change from my S&W 669 last year, I rented a bunch of polymer at my local range and the P07-duty was a finalist with the G19.

The P07 felt great in my hand, super aggressive traction on the grips, looked cool and shot pretty well. I wanted it to be the winner.

The Glock felt too chunky, and looked...well...like a Glock. I started shooting it and was *light-out*. I also considered parts/holster/mag availability and there I went. I have always hated the cult of Glock. Never wanted to own one, but I'm too old to let pride get in the way of the best decision...for me.

YMMV. I've had to tell 2 people in the last week alone "If there was one gun for everybody, there'd only be one gun."

PS: Also look at Youtube. MrColionNoir has a nice review on the P07duty.

jdallen
05-17-13, 18:55
I like the trigger and ability to switch to a manual safety.
I don't like the short grip.